Pay For Holidays, Or Not..., Interesting Contract

aussieboi

Hello, I have just realised I started this topic in the wrong section, so am re-starting it here, My apologies to the moderators.

I would be interested to see opinions on the following;

I have had in the past, like some other teachers, working at Thai. government schools, contracts that are written .. May 10th till Sept 28th, Nov 1st till Mar.10th, (actual start/stop dates may differ) clearly showing the working and payment times.

My current government school has written the contract as follows, May 15th 2009 till Feb 28th 2010, BUT myself and the other teachers had been told orally, firstly that we would be paid 10 months, then just before we signed, that we would be paid for 9 months. We were also told that the contract read that way 'for office purposes'. and that we won't be paid for Oct. (Which we wern't)

Not trying to be too sneaky, does this mean that we should be paid for Oct, or simply accept what we have been told.

I'm curious to see the opinions of those with better understanding of the Labour Law.

Thanks in advance.

PS, am I correct in saying that the Government/Education Dept. pays extra to the schools that employ foreign teachers, ie, an amount that about equals the salary paid, (30/40,000) and will the Govt. therefore pay, to the school, for each teacher, for Oct. of course not knowing what we have been told orally, because of the way the contract is written??

Again, many thanks..

From the point of view of the law, you're in the right- the contract spells out the obligations of your school. However, it will most likely cost you more legally to recover the difference than the difference itself.

Not to be too mean, but I think what it means is that your school administration are cheap and short-sighted to the point of stupidity. No school that doesn't pay for its long holidays should expect the return of any teacher or to retain any teacher who can find a better position; schools that don't hope to keep at least most teachers from year to year don't deserve teachers or students. What you need to do most is find another job- and I would doubt you get a work permit for such a shoddy place? So it should be pretty easy to walk away from quickly. Good luck.

I completely fail to understand the thinking of a number of Thai Administrators with regard to work issues. Our contracts pay for holidays, but I know it drives the owner crazy, so every effort is made to try and shorten the holidays, have people work, schedule special events during them etc. It wouldn't be a problem, but for many there simply isn't any work for them to do, except show up, run the a/c in the offices, read the paper, drink coffee and make more work for the rest of us (who do have work to do).

But then I never understood Pharoh's need to have the slaves work everyday either!

From the point of view of the law, you're in the right- the contract spells out the obligations of your school. However, it will most likely cost you more legally to recover the difference than the difference itself.

Not to be too mean, but I think what it means is that your school administration are cheap and short-sighted to the point of stupidity. No school that doesn't pay for its long holidays should expect the return of any teacher or to retain any teacher who can find a better position; schools that don't hope to keep at least most teachers from year to year don't deserve teachers or students. What you need to do most is find another job- and I would doubt you get a work permit for such a shoddy place? So it should be pretty easy to walk away from quickly. Good luck.

Thank you for the info., it's pretty much what I thought, but will wait to see if they want me back next semester. The school has lost about 4 teachers since I started, they didn't want the problems that came with the job, I stayed for different reasons, one of which is that there is no EP, so all the foreign teachers do is listening & conversation, so there is much less work to do, & yes they did eventually get us work permits.

Edited by aussieboi

It could be admin have pocketed your October salaries. Does the director know?

Certainly your local labor office would be interested in this but you may be burning bridges with your school.

The Director knows, he has to sign the contracts and he does speak English