Is Thailand A Liberal Country?

heslom

I've just googled and look on wikipedia for information about Thai politics but I still don't know about the political system in Thailand. Countries like Taiwan and Japan are obviously right and China left, but what about Thailand? Are they more liberal right or more social left?

Edited by heslom

If you are talking lifestyle, Thailand is both strongly conservative and liberal at the same time. I would say selectively liberal.

If you are talking politics, I don't think you will find a label that fits. Mostly it is a comedy of errors with a lot of corruption and personal agendas. The term Banana republic comes to mind, but that is probably too harsh.

Thailand is a very liberal country when compared to its other Theravadan Bhuddhist cousins - Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Sri Lanka. Admittedly, that's not saying much. I would say that it is on par with the countries where Islam is dominant, but far behind the countries where Christianity is prevalent when it comes to political liberalism.

It is nigh on impossible to apply Western ideological labels to Thailand's political system. There are however strong aspects of feudalism, corruptocracy (just invented that word), ultra-nationalism, military rule and nepotism.

The leftist movement was active during the 60’s and the 70s and although especially people who know very little about Thailand are quick to condemn the military coups in the early to mid 70s, they were the main reason why Thailand did not become a communist country like Laos. Thailand has after that (unlike Laos) enjoyed progress and development economically

It is impossible to box Thailand in as “left” or “right” because Thailand does not care about western ideological labels. Thailand has simply, in a somewhat disorganised way of course, chosen a somewhat short-sighted but genuinely Thai middle path

I think the most important thing to note is that throughout the years, with Thai eyes, Thais have always retained their freedom when it comes to what the Thais themselves think is important of course. Thais are not that interested in what westerners think is important

politically Id certainly say its a conservative, regardless of which government has been in power

some attempt to open up to free markets and such, but underlying principles - still very conservative

It's what the Thais make it. It's unique; it's one of the few countries in the word that has had a coup to successfully restore democracy

Where is this democracy that you speak of? If you think anyone who is in government here is actually elected legitimately then I have a stretch of marshland to sell you as well.

It's what the Thais make it. It's unique; it's one of the few countries in the word that has had a coup to successfully restore democracy

Where is this democracy that you speak of? If you think anyone who is in government here is actually elected legitimately then I have a stretch of marshland to sell you as well.

A COUP TO RESTORE DEMOCRACY! Are you for real!!!

The ELECTED GOVERNMENT WAS DEMOCRACY....Jesus...............

No benefits system, limited free education and low taxation .... id say that makes it a capitalist country but governed by a line of wanabee dictators.

Well avery high standard in Thai dance education, almost everybody has a cell phone beer is expensive. If you're poor you're poor.

post-39518-1261725412_thumb.jpg

If you come to Asia and expect western style democracy, then you are of course going to be disappointed. I'm not because I don't expect it.

This reminds me of a Pakistani friend working for our Melbourne data centre. He told me about his younger brother at university. General Musharraf came to the university after the coup there and held a speech. He encouraged the students to be open and especially one was, giving him a hard time about the coup and democracy.

General Musharraf remained calm and told the student approx this: Yet you stand here without fear and scream at the most powerful man in Pakistan when you know that you would have been thrown in jail and most likely killed if you had done the same during the old regime

The Student thanked General Musharaff and sat down, ashamed

Edited by MikeyIdea

If you come to Asia and expect western style democracy, then you are of course going to be disappointed. I'm not because I don't expect it.

The difference isn't so much the political system but the fact that in the west at least a person's merit tends to be respected more. In Thailand it's more about who you know and how you can leverage your class against the people under you. This is why the political system is as corrupt as it is. Things don't get done without nepotism because everything is controlled by a few people who want to maintain control.

This reminds me of a Pakistani friend working for our Melbourne data centre. He told me about his younger brother at university. General Musharraf came to the university after the coup there and held a speech. He encouraged the students to be open and especially one was, giving him a hard time about the coup and democracy.

General Musharraf remained calm and told the student approx this: Yet you stand here without fear and scream at the most powerful man in Pakistan when you know that you would have been thrown in jail and most likely killed if you had done the same during the old regime

The Student thanked General Musharaff and sat down, ashamed

Whatever plainly LAME excuses you now try to make to cover your completely ridiculous post about DEMOCRATIC COUPS, you are digging your own grave, regarding your common sense, political sense, and your very idea as to what democracy is!

You will eventually require a larger shovel!

No benefits system, limited free education and low taxation .... id say that makes it a capitalist country but governed by a line of wanabee dictators.

Well avery high standard in Thai dance education, almost everybody has a cell phone beer is expensive. If you're poor you're poor.

And unlike a few large rich countries Thailand has a system of free medicine which seems to provide a reasonable standard.

I liked the one about ultra-liberal trying to pass itself of for ultra-conservative. Isn't that the truth? At least socially.

Economically speaking Thailand is a Feudalist system to a point with a strong patron-client influence.

And unlike a few large rich countries Thailand has a system of free medicine which seems to provide a reasonable standard.

free medicine ?? which thailand do you live in?

free medicine ?? which thailand do you live in?

Obviously the real one with real people not the rarified one that some farangs live. The scheme was introduced by Thaksin whereby low income families pay round 30 baht for a card which entitles them to treatment at the local hospital including medicines. The original idea was there was to be a 30 baht copayment but this has been scrapped. People can be refered to larger hospitals. I have personally shared a ward where several of the patients were on the scheme and all recieved the same level of care as I did which was excellent

Though Thakisin deserves credit for this scheme this is not meant as a political post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care#Thailand