Buying A Condo In Ban Phe

mauiguy90

A friend of mine from Australia is about to purchase a condo on the beach at Ban Phe. Its 57 sq. meters and selling for between 1.125-1.2 million baht. Its called The Royal Rayong and it's on Mae Ramphueng Beach, Rayong. The main real estate agent is named D2 Real Estate Co (the owner's name is Jens) and the agents who showed her the unit the second time are called Rayong Home and Land. Its sounds like a great buy but there are questions about why so many rooms in the building are vacant and the price is so low. Also would like to know about problems with industrial pollution, if any. If anyone can give feedback about this area and condo, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

The price is about right for the size and location. Mae Ramphueng is a very quiet area right now - except on specific Thai holidays when one can't park anywhere along the beach.

However, the area is slowly growing, with a few more restaurants and bars, often western. Before I bought my house on the other side of Ban Phe (towards the east; Mae Ramphueng is to the west) I looked at condos, including Royal Rayong.

Your friend will need to plan on transportation, as public songthaews are unreliable and irregular, and shopping in that area is restricted to a few very small shops. In Ban Phe, though, there are a couple of large markets, more shops, and a Tesco-Lotus supermarket. Of course, one can always run into Rayong city, either by songthaew or by one's own transportation.

There's no problem at all with industrial pollution from Maptaphut. We're far enough away that none of it comes here - maybe wind direction helps. But we've had no effects from the industries over there.

Agree - price is about right for one in good condition. Can get single (c.30m2) "original" units for around 3-400k but may be more difficult to get 2 adjoining (or the larger size). You can then upgrade it to suit so probably come out much the same. Depends also on floor, view, etc.

Thanks for the input Steve and JusMe! My friend is planning on living there intermittently until she retires. She may end up trying to rent her place in the short term. The realtors guaranteed her an 8% return on her property if she does choose to rent it out. I'd appreciate any further info on the condo's potential rent and the building in general. As mentioned before, she wants to know why her building seems to have numerous unoccupied units. Thanks!

Many buildings in the area have lots of unoccupied units. There are many buildings, more going up, and although the area is growing, it's still pretty quiet.

Having said that, though, I was on an "isolated" small beach near other more popular ones, yesterday, and the bleedin' place was absolutely crowded! Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian flags hanging from in front of three or four beach restaurant bars!

It's growing in popularity, so although many units may be unoccupied (and they could be sold, just the Bangkokians who own them aren't in residence) it will change.

Many buildings in the area have lots of unoccupied units. There are many buildings, more going up, and although the area is growing, it's still pretty quiet.

Having said that, though, I was on an "isolated" small beach near other more popular ones, yesterday, and the bleedin' place was absolutely crowded! Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian flags hanging from in front of three or four beach restaurant bars!

It's growing in popularity, so although many units may be unoccupied (and they could be sold, just the Bangkokians who own them aren't in residence) it will change.

Thanks again! My friend has been checking for updates and appreciates all the feedback. Have a great holiday season in Rayong/Samed! :)

Thanks again! My friend has been checking for updates and appreciates all the feedback. Have a great holiday season in Rayong/Samed! :)

There really is nothing of note on Mae Lam Pung.

The realtors guaranteed her an 8% return on her property if she does choose to rent it out.

huuum

Whereabouts on HMRP was this JusMe?

If I remember correctly, it was called Kim's Beach, or something similar to that. It's between Mae Phim and the series of restaurants east of the park area on the road east of Ban Phe.

• 3 weeks later...
Agree - price is about right for one in good condition. Can get single (c.30m2) "original" units for around 3-400k but may be more difficult to get 2 adjoining (or the larger size). You can then upgrade it to suit so probably come out much the same. Depends also on floor, view, etc.

The Original size of studios in Royal Rayong is around 57sqm not 30sqm.

The realtors guaranteed her an 8% return on her property if she does choose to rent it out.

huuum

To get the 8% rental guarantee she will have to take the realtors renovation package that will set her back an extra 200k (more than 2 years gross rent guarantee) or so on the purchase price and only use the studio around 2 weeks a year not at peak times. Using it more is possible but will substantially reduce the rent guarantee.

huuum

To get the 8% rental guarantee she will have to take the realtors renovation package that will set her back an extra 200k (more than 2 years gross rent guarantee) or so on the purchase price and only use the studio around 2 weeks a year not at peak times. Using it more is possible but will substantially reduce the rent guarantee.

Why bother? Just rent. Rents are very cheap.