Satellite/cable Tv

nonthaburial

After using UBC/True Visions Platinum package for over 7 years, I relocated from BKK to Kunming in China. I originally signed up with a Shanghai company who were the agents in China for Dream, buit after 3 weeks, Dream dropped a lot of their channels, so I binned them. I then found a local company, who say they are the agents for a major Thai provider ( read between the lines here). I contacted them and they fitted in the smallish dish, and the required box, for this system you need broadband. they hooked everything up and as this system does not need a "sim" type card, they, using a computer programmed the system and within 30 minutes I was watching all of the channels that I was used to in Bangkok (again read between the lines).

However last week, I had to move apartments due to structural damage, I contacted the local company giving them my new address, within hours they had taken down the original dish at my old apartment and were re-installing it at my new one. They then said, that as my apartment faced South West and had a nice but small garden, they could install a bigger dish which would enable me to have additional channels over what I had already, so I have now got as previously mentioned, plus all the Super Sports from SA as well as BBC Entertainment and literally many many channels. In fact so many, I am having difficulty is ploughing through them all !

The cost for alll this including setting up, removing and setting up again, plus the bigger dish was 3,000 RMB (15k Baht) BUT the ANNUAL payment is only 400 RMB (2k Baht) there are no rental fees, as once paid, the dish and decoder is mine for life.

After finishing the re-set up I talked to the technician telling him the very high costs demanded by True and he was amazed and told me that the very same system as I have now could be used also in Thailand and for the sake of a plane ticket he could go to Bangkok and train a local how to fit and set up this system.

Seriously considering this offer as the end result would make a lot of viewers very happy in Thailand.

Have to leave now as the Cricket Test between England and South Africa is just about to start !!!!!!

Edited by nonthaburial

So you are paying someone to install a pirated/hacked system, what do you think he is doing when he is programming your reciever ? whats your point here ? Do you really think a company can legally get all those channels for those prices ???

Pirated / hacked ?? sorry forgot to mention that they told me they do pay Royalties.

What is my point ?

1). If this is really legal then True are ripping off the Thai public - a result of having a monopoly.

2) If this is illegal its very cleverly done and after spending nearly 300,000 Baht on UBC/True over the years and being buggered about by them I feel vindicated.

3) I am also trying to point out there are other alternatives.

Back to the Cricket now

Pirated / hacked ?? sorry forgot to mention that they told me they do pay Royalties.

What is my point ?

1). If this is really legal then True are ripping off the Thai public - a result of having a monopoly.

No, it is not legal. They do not pay royalties. They pay for one legal subscriber card, which they then share towards tens or hundreds of their own subscribers. Which is why you need to hook up the box to the internet, so it can leach of that one single card they have.

2) If this is illegal its very cleverly done and after spending nearly 300,000 Baht on UBC/True over the years and being buggered about by them I feel vindicated.

Agreed, they are rather clever, but they are pirating nevertheless. And they are also making heaps of money in the process.

3) I am also trying to point out there are other alternatives.

Indeed, but as this method of watching copyrighted material is illegal, I will have to close this thread now!