United Airlines From Bkk To Sfo And Return

jimmym40

I'm on the Jan 25th flight!  :)

I take this flight regularly.  For the 747's, the economy is not as good as the 777's.  But the business class seats are full recliners.  The 777's have individual screens on the seatbacks in economy.  United changes the plane model depending on various factors, but last time I took it in October, it was a 747 to Narita, then a 777 to SFO.

I'm on the Jan 25th flight! :)

I take this flight regularly. For the 747's, the economy is not as good as the 777's. But the business class seats are full recliners. The 777's have individual screens on the seatbacks in economy. United changes the plane model depending on various factors, but last time I took it in October, it was a 747 to Narita, then a 777 to SFO.

United BKK-NRT 882/881 is currently scheduled to be a 747 for all of 2010. At the present time, the only NRT/SFO nonstop connectioni is UA 838/837 which is also scheduled to be a 747 for all of next year. However on approx. March 28, United adds a second nonstop between NRT/SFO which is UA 852/853 and it will be a 777. Once UA 852/853 flights start,they will make for a shorter connection time in NRT and will save you about an hour or two over the 838/837 connection depending on which direction you are heading.

Took the route a couple months ago and was very impressed with the comfort and level of service. Carry my own entertainment so seatback reruns not an issue.

Only complaint was the caterer at Narita. Don't get the chicken, it looks weird.

Just flew the BKK-NRT-LAX-PHX on 27 Nov. B747-400 to NRT. Cramped and no seat back entertainment. Plane was packed. Not too bad to NRT.

NRT-LAX B777. Comfy. Seat back entertainment. Seats were wider and it was a much nicer flight.

Returned on 07 Dec. PHX-SFO-NRT-BKK

B747-400 As above, packed flight, older acft, no seat backed entertainment, female FA's had an attitude ( one male FA worked his ass off ) food was terrible and I was glad to get off of it in NRT. Same into BKK.

Flights were on time ( early into BKK ) and the price was right. ( economy seating)

On a side note..last time I flew them into LAX, UA didn't have a plane to PHX. Scheduling problems ( excuse ) and a 4 hr wait. This time...couldn't find a plane out of PHX. 2 hr wait but arrived into SFO with around 20 minutes to spare.

Yeah, I would (will) fly 'em again. The price was too good for all the way into PHX.

You guys should take a look into flying Korean Air or Asiana to either LAX or SFO from BKK. Much better quality overall in my experiences compared to UA flights to/from APAC. You would stopover at ICN which is 10x better then NRT.

Edited by khunjake

yes early this month, BKK-SFO-BKK(gotta changed plane in NRT both way), RT Business class. New flat bed was nice and food was Ok. be sure to get a flight with new business class seat(flat bed), some planes still have old business class seat which little bit better than coach. don't expect a great service, it is UNITED...

Edited by VTSVIEW

If you are in Economy, try and get seated in Economy Plus where the seat pitch is bigger which makes a big difference in 'wiggle room' on the long sectors. It used to be a free upgrade for certain pax but the way I see it, like most airlines, these 'premium' seats are now a chargeable extra (I think it was US$70 at check-in at Narita). Otherwise it's a standard US carrier service, nothing to write home about.

Jimmym, The best thing about that route is that you can take a shower in Narita, both ways right in the gate area. Very clean facilities and it is the best 5 dollars you can spend when traveling. Regarding United... the service levels have gone down and Korean Airlines tops them in every category, especially in passenger attentiveness.

You guys should take a look into flying Korean Air or Asiana to either LAX or SFO from BKK. Much better quality overall in my experiences compared to UA flights to/from APAC. You would stopover at ICN which is 10x better then NRT.

Asiana is my favourite airline. However I've always had availability and price issues with them the past few years.

From my experience, UA out of Narita sucks big time.

First flight from Narita to BKK... some 3 hours late for take off, but gave passes to the lounge to us in cattle class. The plane did not have individual screens for us simple folks in economy.

Flight from BKK to Narita, no problems and no individual screens for economy class.

Second flight from Narita to BKK... on time! But no individual screens for economy class.

Flight from BKK to Narita, no no individual screens for economy class and the entertainment system died. Not sure if was working in business. They gave us a voucher for 5k miles to redeemed on their website.

Third flight from Narita to BKK, about 2 hours late, no passes given to the lounge and still no individual screens for economy class.

Flight from BKK to Narita... not taken yet, but I am counting on no individual screens for economy class.

So we have 5 flights and 3 problems... Not a very good batting average in my opinion.

TheWalkingMan

I have taken the UAL flights via SFo and LAX and of course Chicago (Via hong Kong). At the risk of offending some, I think SFO is one of the nicest international gateways. Putting aside fog issues, the on time performance is good and the flight experience starts off so much nicer than from LAX. I stopped flying UAL about 2 years ago and only use it now on the BKK-NRT route. It's the same equipment that is used for the SFO and LAX routes. The new configs are ok, but nothing special. The FAs are trying. Older yes, but there's a confidence I feel in them that if something goes wrong that old battle axe will get me off the plane fast.The food and entertainment systems are mediocre, but at least it's edible and understandable. I switched to EVA. Better service. Better price and better all around experience. Now if I could only cash in my 150,000 airmiles on EVA :) UAL is trying hard to regain the PAX it lost due to its poor performance over the past 5 years. Are they there yet? No. Is it worth it? Yes, if you get a good price.

Be warned though. Allow extra time to clear the UAL additional security at BKK. Not a complaint, but on the 6:30 am flight, you need to be there at least 2 1/2 hours before the flight not to stress out.

Edited by geriatrickid

I fly this route every year. Depending on connections, I go through Seattle (sucks the big one, I hate this airport) LAX (ok, and after such a long flight the walk to the domestic isn't bad but its a stupid system) and SFO, top one out of the three. Nice airport, easy to get around.

Planes, well, tbh, I don't use the seatback entertainment that much. I have found that it depends on what airport you fly into depends on if you get seatback entertainment or not. UA does need to upgrade their planes but they are the only ones that fly at a convenient time with acceptable transit times to where I need to go for a decent price. I find they are very good with their ff miles and using the Bkk office to book miles is a breeze. They are helpful and get it booked in a timely manner.

I did have a seatback tv that didn't work on one flight, mentioned it to the flight attendant and she gave me a card. I went online and got free miles for my trouble. So, that was better than the tv IMO.

As for the battleaxe thing, Well, to be perfectly frank. I am not going to a go go show. I am flying in a plane. I want my food, I want my drinks and I want the flight attendant to be able to handle an emergency situation with calm and intelligence. Worst FA I had was on a China Airlines flight, cute young Chinese girl who couldn't tell the Chinese lady to not allow her 5 year old son to run up and down the aisles over and over, not only pissing off half the plane but possibly endangering the life of the kid. An old battleaxe would not allowed that to happen.

I'm grateful for all the responses to my question, all good info. I usually fly Thai from bkk to lax, but the fares now are just ridiculous. This was a last minute decision to go back on 24 Jan due to a business venture. Since united is a Star Alliance member, I chose to use United because of the super decent price I rec'd from my travel agent here in CM. R/T from bkk to Las Vegas (las) was 33,500 baht - can't beat that anywhere. United used to upgrade GOLD members from Economy to Premium Economy, but was told by United that stopped that over a year ago. But I can inquire at check in if PE seats are available and cost around $90 for each leg. I'll give a report after my travels.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

the planes are 30 years old

the trolley grannies twice this

and you have to pay for a beer

i did this leg last year in biz... and my next door guy... had his seat was in permanent recline... doris and ethial... did not even care... he took off and landed in the bed-recline position

dont touch anything american

the only reason, they fly wide body... is to get the granny-crew down the aisles!!!

and you have to pay for a drink and headsets

let alone

in-seat entertainment, they have only worked out overhead vid for 200 people

america can get a man on the moon...

but not a beer and video in economy!!!

i did this leg last year in biz... and my next door guy... had his seat was in permanent recline... doris and ethial... did not even care... he took off and landed in the bed-recline position

dont touch anything american

the only reason, they fly wide body... is to get the granny-crew down the aisles!!!

let alone

in-seat entertainment, they have only worked out overhead vid for 200 people

america can get a man on the moon...

but not a beer and video in economy!!!

Not entirely true. I just flew BKK-Narita-Seattle on Jan. 19th, Bkk-Narita was 747 without seatback entertainment, Narita to Seattle was 777 with seatback entertainment and there was no charge for alcohol in cattle class, I had 5 of them small bottles of red wine and didn't have to pay anything.

On the other hand, while flying in US airspace, alcohol drinks are not free.

Just completed first half of my trip. Flew bkk/narita/sfo. 747s both legs, no seat back entertainment. Both legs plane fully packed. I was in cattle class, not much room for a six footer. Food was mediocre. Only reason I chose United was because of the price.

UA used to charge for booze in economy when going from the US to Asia, but it is free again. If you go to Europe or anywhere in the US you have to pay.

As someone mentioned there will be a second NRT-SFO flight starting late March I think that will be a 777 and those are much better to fly in if you are in economy.

The NRT-LAX bird will also switch from 777 to 744 in late March. There may be a lot of substituitons this year as the 777 is now slated to go in for the reconfig of biz and first interiors.

The food and service on UA is pretty poor when compared to other Star Alliance carriers. I fly them as I have status and upgrades and just deal with the crappy service, the new biz seat is really nice. I did LAX/SFO-BKK 4 times in 2009 and only one l only had one leg where I had to sit in economy, for getting status and upgrades, UA is hard to beat.

Well the part about the trolley grannies is more true than not!! :D

Untrue, all of it. :)

I totally agree. my mother has been out to visit twice and my brother once. First time mom came out she flew THAI from New York- BKK nonstop, and I also flew this route a couple of times (Last time when i moved here), but unfortunately they discontinued this route :) , but like another poster stated THAI prices have gotten way out of hand.

Last time she came out with my brother, they flew Korean Air, and stated that the flight experience was wonderful.I have also flown Korean Air and think that they are top notch, and their FA are gorgeous! I am taking my wife and son to the States in April for 3 weeks and we just booked with Korean Air, since they are super kid friendly. Sorry, but most American carriers simply SUCK!

Since it is such a long haul from Thailand to the States it may be wise to spend a little extra for comfort sake.