Pattaya Tailor - Next Fashion

Millard

Location: Shopping arcade next to Soi Diana (near Kiss Food) and across from Mike’s Shopping Mall.

Price: 500 baht/shirt. 3000 baht/suit.

Quality: Poor.

Customer Service: Good at point of sale, but poor after your clothes have been sewn.

Tip: give as little of a down payment as possible in case you want to cancel the transaction.

Next Fashion was very friendly and polite during my initial visit. During subsequent visits/fittings though, I was appalled at how things changed. My shirt and suit fit very poorly. It was as if the tailor had my measurements mixed up with a 12 year-old girl’s. Despite this, the tailor was adamant and even aggressive that everything looked great! He was 100% sales and 0% interested in quality.

It took about 4 fittings to finally get one shirt and my suit to somewhat fit. At each fitting, the tailor would argue with me about any alterations I’d need. He even cursed at me under his breath. I’ll still need to have the trousers altered here in the States since they’re too short. Overall, the quality was so low that I told the tailor to not even bother making all 4 shirts we had agreed upon since he couldn’t even get one right. I would have just called the whole thing off, but had already paid a deposit.

Like half of the crap sold in Thailand, the tailors are another con. I bought a few pieces from them, basically wore them once ir twice, continued to use the trousers for while, in the end just threw them away. Its much cheaper in the long run to pay 5 times more for an off the peg suit in Regents Street.

Ever wondered why these shops stay open forever despite seemingly having so few custoners? Well, the only explanation I can think of is that they make a lot more from selling each suit from the few suckers they rope in than you think. Thats cos they sell you total crap. And in case you think you will get away with just making a small downpayment and walking away if the quality or fit is dissappointing, forget it. There are a lot of these guys and their touts are thugs and you will either get beaten to a pulp before being forced to pay or forced to pay by their friends at the police station.

Best advice, ignore these cockroaches, then maybe they will go back home to the sewers they crawled out of.

Edited by morphic

i have used Next for many years & never had a problem.

in fact i had them make seven new shirts in the last two weeks at a cost of 2000 baht, from material i bought on markets etc

i provided a favourite shirt they had made some 12 months ago as a model and i am happy with all of them

i guess experiences differ for different folks.........

i am sorry you had a problem

Edited by timekeeper

I have had suits made at Next Fashion for the last 3 years. I wear them every day at work and never had a problem with them. The only problem has been my expanding waistline which always prompts another visit to get another suit made whenever I am in Patts.

In fact I still have a suit from 3 years ago that still looks good - my wardrobe currently has 5 suits from there.

Granted, he is a salesman first and foremost, and he uses a different man to make the suits than when i first became a customer, but I still think for 3,500 baht (you squeezed an extra 500 baht out of him !) I am getting a decent product.

I never tried getting a shirt made though - have you seen the material they have ?! :)

You must have been unlucky.

I am a happy customer.

I have had a dinner shirt made in that same tailers shop in Soi Dianna. I have only worn it 2-3 times as it is not as comfortable as my store /off the shelf dinner shirts. I also doubt that it is a pure cotton that they told me it was.

I have also been insulted by them on other occaisons when i have declined their offers as i walk down the arcade or soi Dianna.

I usually use Sala Tailers (Suit Sala) in Sukumvit Rd, before On - Nut BTS. They are Thai Tailers, charge a bit more and are fairly conservative if you are looking for latest fashion suits, but their stuff is top quality stuff. I have been using them for 25 years . My last suit about 2 years ago cost 5000 baht with a waist coat and two trousers . You do need to take a Thai speaker with you if u do not speak fluent thai yourself. Also , don't expect it to be made in 24 hours as the price includes a few fittings.

"i had them make seven new shirts in the last two weeks at a cost of 2000 baht, from material i bought on markets etc"

Timekeeper, can you say where you find the shirt cloth "on markets"? -- One of the problems I've always had with many of the local tailors is that their selection of cloth, patterns, etc. is very limited.

I see Farangs walking around with local made shirts that I would buy if I could find the source the cloth.

Thanks in advance for any comments from anyone who knows of a source of a variety of shirt cloth, patterns, etc. in Pattaya / Jomtien.

The suits like someone said are all made in the backstreets, if you walk up and down several of the sois off Soi Boukow you'll see them producing them, theyre about as Tailored to fit as one of those cheap and nasty suits you get at Tesco.

I went to Pinky's in BKK they have no touts purely word of mouth its close to Pleon Chit BTS, now ive very broad well built shoulders, yet the tailor decides i need these great big shoulder pads in the jacket which make me look like an extra for Dallas or Dynasty.

My recommendation is buy something off the peg at least this way we'll rid Thailand of these pain in the ass touts.

"i had them make seven new shirts in the last two weeks at a cost of 2000 baht, from material i bought on markets etc"

Timekeeper, can you say where you find the shirt cloth "on markets"? -- One of the problems I've always had with many of the local tailors is that their selection of cloth, patterns, etc. is very limited.

I see Farangs walking around with local made shirts that I would buy if I could find the source the cloth.

Thanks in advance for any comments from anyone who knows of a source of a variety of shirt cloth, patterns, etc. in Pattaya / Jomtien.

be happy to Surfrider......

i tend to buy the fabric when i see something i like and then have them made up later

hence 7 shirts this time

i need 2-5 metres for a short sleeved shirt and usually pay 80-100 baht a metre

there are two stalls that operate on soi bukhaouw market on Tuesdays and Fridays

they are next to the road on the outer perimeter of the main market

there are 3 stalls on Naklua market on Sundays

right at the back and they are all together

there are 3 stalls in the market opposite Wat Chi MongKol on pattaya thai

i call it the stinky market as they sell a lot of dead fish and live animals

they are on the right side at the back

there is a fabric shop near to the left side of the back of Tukcom too

there is also one on Soi 17 even further at the back of tukcom

on the right side after the second hand shops

there one on 2nd road on the left side of second road, going towards Buddha hill from the Pattaya Thai/ 2nd road junction

opposite the bangkok bank and near the arab quarter

is that enough?

Thanks Timekeeper -- a lot of great information about the secret hidden haunts of the roving discriminant cloth seekers.

You're far more intrepid than I am - The fantasy was something like the huge yard-goods market in Manila's Chinatown that has just about every known piece of cloth on the planet. I've looked for similar in Bangkok, without success. I guess I should have known better considering Pattaya/Jomtien.

However, I'll still attempt to search these places out in the time I have remaining . . . :)

First off, these "tailors" are not tailors at all. They are salesmen that measure. There is only a few factories in town that actually do the cutting and sewing. A few are back alley shops. These "tailors" send your measurements to them. Look in the shop, no one is in there sewing. Sales are number one. Maybe they can measure well, maybe not. Who knows if it is a trainee in the cutting room, or on the sewing room. Here is a couple easy fact to know when choosing a tailor.

#1. A good tailor is in his shop working, not on the street shaking hands !!

#2. A good tailor has repeat business, and enough referrals to keep him busy, he is NOT on the street shaking hands drumming up business !!

#3. A good tailor is seldom a "people person" They are typically type A personality and nit picky arrogant bastards, especially about quality of their own work. Usually they would rather lose a sale than sew their name into an inferior product.

#4. A smooth talking person on the street, shaking hands and trying to get your attention, is NOT a tailor.

Edited by Lovedog100

Go behind Tuk Com and work directly with the Thai people who sit there all day sewing the suits - there are also fabric dealers on those streets where they will take you and let you select the fabric you want.

Cut out the middle man and work direct.

Exactly,not quite behind but one steeet over,you may have to provide your own cloth though...sorry you altready said it,need new glasses

Edited by jb4446

First off, these "tailors" are not tailors at all. They are salesmen that measure. There is only a few factories in town that actually do the cutting and sewing. A few are back alley shops. These "tailors" send your measurements to them. Look in the shop, no one is in there sewing. Sales are number one. Maybe they can measure well, maybe not. Who knows if it is a trainee in the cutting room, or on the sewing room. Here is a couple easy fact to know when choosing a tailor.

#1. A good tailor is in his shop working, not on the street shaking hands !!

#2. A good tailor has repeat business, and enough referrals to keep him busy, he is NOT on the street shaking hands drumming up business !!

#3. A good tailor is seldom a "people person" They are typically type A personality and nit picky arrogant bastards, especially about quality of their own work. Usually they would rather lose a sale than sew their name into an inferior product.

#4. A smooth talking person on the street, shaking hands and trying to get your attention, is NOT a tailor.

Right. So where is the said "good tailor" in PTY?

I agree about those tailors with the touts on the streets - a bad experience every time. Those who stay in their shops and get on with the job are usually pretty good.

A couple of years ago, we needed some new clothes (copies) for an important occasion, and made it very clear that there was a strict deadline. Could he do it in time? We also wanted the stuff laundered and ironed and ready to wear. No problem! It didn't turn up like that. It was filthy and unironed. He suggested we could come back "tomorrow". But that was no use - as we'd told him - we needed the clothes for a particular event. The guy was a complete waste of space, and he is still to be seen daily hovering about outside his shop in Naklua trying to lure unwary tourists in.

If you have enough time say 2 or 3 weeks I suggest you go to Sattahip and look for the tailors there. They fit out the Thai Navy personnell and it will be alot cheaper than Pattaya and better quality.

John

I agree about those tailors with the touts on the streets - a bad experience every time. Those who stay in their shops and get on with the job are usually pretty good.

A couple of years ago, we needed some new clothes (copies) for an important occasion, and made it very clear that there was a strict deadline. Could he do it in time? We also wanted the stuff laundered and ironed and ready to wear. No problem! It didn't turn up like that. It was filthy and unironed. He suggested we could come back "tomorrow". But that was no use - as we'd told him - we needed the clothes for a particular event. The guy was a complete waste of space, and he is still to be seen daily hovering about outside his shop in Naklua trying to lure unwary tourists in.

If anyone wants to know more send me e mail or message here E mail is

If you have enough time say 2 or 3 weeks I suggest you go to Sattahip and look for the tailors there. They fit out the Thai Navy personnell and it will be alot cheaper than Pattaya and better quality.

John