New Visa Before Existing One Expires?

Short story: I've been extending my visa on retirement for over 6 years but this time I am told I didn't have my money in the bank for at least 3 months and now need to go out and get a new visa. (OK - I should have been watching this forum to know that. But, 2 years ago - after just leaving the money in my account for 5 years - I was told I need to "spend it". So that's what I did and then put it back in about 1 week prior to my visa extension request. Yah.

Anyway.... my current extension expires Dec. 31. My plan is to go to Vientiane for a new visa tomorrow but just got caution by a friend that maybe they won't give me a new visa until my current one expires. Aaagh!

Does anybody know for sure?

The situation: I have been extending a Non Imm. B visa since 1995 (8 years while working and 6 years while retired). So, my current "stay" is valid from an extension valid until Dec. 31.

So, the question is: Can I get a new visa in Vientiane and return to Thailand before the 31st? (Then I can get my anual extension 60 days after that - I am told.)

Reply FAST FAST please as I intend to do this tomorrow.

Cheers.

If you leave Thailand without a reentry permit, your current permission to stay on your most recent extension ends at that point. So I think you will be OK to get your visa. However, what you really need is a report from someone who has done similar at that embassy. Many Thai embassies and consulates run by their own rulebook.

Edited by Jingthing

Another question first. Do you have any income from within Thailand or from abroad?

The rules say:

800,000 in the bank for 3 months

OR

an income of 65,000 a mont (from within Thaiand show tax papers and from abroad get a letter from your embassy confirming your income)

OR

a combination of yearly income and money in the bank. In this case the money doesn't have to be in the bank for 3 months!

So, do you have a pension?

Another question first. Do you have any income from within Thailand or from abroad?

The rules say:

800,000 in the bank for 3 months

OR

an income of 65,000 a mont (from within Thaiand show tax papers and from abroad get a letter from your embassy confirming your income)

OR

a combination of yearly income and money in the bank. In this case the money doesn't have to be in the bank for 3 months!

So, do you have a pension?

I retired while in the Thai "system" at age 55. I paid a LOT of taxes and even got a Thai SS payment for being retired! But, I don't get pension from US until a few more years. I know about the "rules" but the 3 month thing was not a rule when I first started doing this and it was never informed to me by the immigration folks. So, I'm just trying to do whatever it takes to get things right again as this is my home now. sniff sniff

Several years ago I flew back to Britain without a reentry permit. On my return, I had to start with ,1st a tourist visa to get me back in to Thailand, then converted it to a 90 day ??? non 0?? at the end of that I went back to a sort of retirement based visa I think it's called 'extension of stay based on retirement' I really don't understand the difference between that and a retirement visa, in practice they are the same.

The point is all this was done in Chiang Mai immigration without having to leave the country.

For the last several years, I simply renew my visa at CM in the same way I would have done originally, with 800,000 Bt in the bank for 3 months.

Hope this helps

Several years ago I flew back to Britain without a reentry permit. On my return, I had to start with ,1st a tourist visa to get me back in to Thailand, then converted it to a 90 day ??? non 0?? at the end of that I went back to a sort of retirement based visa I think it's called 'extension of stay based on retirement' I really don't understand the difference between that and a retirement visa, in practice they are the same.

The point is all this was done in Chiang Mai immigration without having to leave the country.

For the last several years, I simply renew my visa at CM in the same way I would have done originally, with 800,000 Bt in the bank for 3 months.

Hope this helps

There is no "retirement visa" - its a misnomer. You have a non-immigrant visa with an extension of stay for retirement.

No problem getting a visa. But the three month rule was a signed form last year for most people. You did not have to fill out one extra form and sign another on your last extension of stay?

Nope. Actually, last year I put the money in my account 3 days before I went in for the extension. They just asked where it came from (another joint account with the wifey). That was it, visa extension granted. That was in Kap Chong and perhaps because they knew me having been going there for 6 years. Now Kap Chong is closed, the other offices don't know me, and I hit a zero tollerance policy - with absolutely no interest in hearing my story or looking at the evidence I could provide to show where the money comes from. Oh well. TIT.