Un Irish Bar

james24

Food was pretty cool but whats up with the staff, talk about bloody miserbale. It really felt that no-one was really welcome to relax. Everytime we bought a drink we had to pay there and then and if we put a fork down the plate was taken from under us at least four times without being asked. I know its busy on crimbo day and its a good day to make money but they are all including the farangs are so bloomin moody, definately would not recommend.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

james 24 .

maybe that was your interpretation of things ... but dont bame the thais .

they are only doing what they are told to by the #iss poor ferang management

dave2

So the management tells the thai's to be moody and miserable,yeah right

james 24 .

dave2

Management might try leading by example......or explaining exactly what type of service the customer prefers....my understanding is that management are responsible for the product and the delivery.......not the waitress who is looking grumpy!!!

Edited by 473geo

james 24 .

dave2

Management might try leading by example......or explaining exactly what type of service the customer prefers....my understanding is that management are responsible for the product and the delivery.......not the waitress who is looking grumpy!!!

Yeah right,thai's are never to blame for their own behaviour

The attitude of the workers is a direct reflection of the management in any service company. I went into UN Irish pub 3 years ago

for a beer to check it out. Very cold atmosphere and strange seating inside. I wish they would take Irish out of their name. It is degrading to the pubs in Ireland. The bakery is quite good especially the breads. Are you sure it is farang owned ?

The attitude of the workers is a direct reflection of the management in any service company. I went into UN Irish pub 3 years ago

for a beer to check it out. Very cold atmosphere and strange seating inside. I wish they would take Irish out of their name. It is degrading to the pubs in Ireland. The bakery is quite good especially the breads. Are you sure it is farang owned ?

So you base your opinion on a beer 3 yrs ago ?

Never had any problem with the staff there, thai or farang.

the management there are ALWAYS ... repeat .. ALWAYS miserable

sounds like you have a personal problem with them

I haven't been to the UN Irish for a while but I got the impression that it was very popular for quiz nights and sports nights and that it had a good core of regular younger expat locals. If that is the case, then some people are obviously quite happy with the service. I've never had a problem with the staff, and always considered Sandy as being one of Chiang Mai's jolliest bar owners. 

I agree! I go there often because most of my friends frequent the place. The food is uite good, but the staff sure can be miserable, and the staff do not want to hear it!

The staff don't want to hear you telling them that they are miserable? Strange people!! 

Have you ever had someone say to you 'what's wrong with you today? - you don't look too happy.' , when in fact there is nothing wrong with you, you just don't happen to have a permanent smile on your face, or maybe you were just thinking about something. How do you answer that, other than the obvious? :)

I haven't been to the UN Irish for a while but I got the impression that it was very popular for quiz nights and sports nights and that it had a good core of regular younger expat locals. If that is the case, then some people are obviously quite happy with the service. I've never had a problem with the staff, and always considered Sandy as being one of Chiang Mai's jolliest bar owners. 

I'll second that - Sandy is a great host. I haven't been there for a long time but had some of my best nights in CM in that pub.

I frequent the UN on a regular basis & find the food to be good pub food & always consistent. The staff are generally polite & curteous as well, but so am I to them.

I think some of these old tight wad expats expect a little too much from pubs/bars here in Ching Mai & they are the sort of clientele that would quibble over the price of a 65 baht beer.

I don't know how anyone can have too much of a problem with The Irish Pub.

The food's OK, there's a good enough selection of beers etc. For sports buffs it's the best place in town with 3 large screen TV's and each has a different sports programme available if required. It's prices are reasonable and Sandy has a good sense of humour (for an Aussie) and is always up for a laugh. The staff do their job, but not with a fixed smile on their face, which is OK by me.

I think Sandy is considering putting down sawdust and strategically placed spitoons.

I drink at the UN pub from time to time, I don't eat there because of an incident involving a cockroach that looked like something out of an experiment in a 1950's sci-fi B movie:D . This is no reflection on the pub now as this happened around 10 years ago.

Sandy is a friendly bloke but does give the impression of being a bit of an old grump.

As Kevin mentioned it is very popular for sports events and the quiz night.

It is farang owned and managed, I find the staff there very average they do there job which is fine by me.

All in all not a bad place to drink on occasion.

A wide range of comments as one would expect.

Some like it, some do not. Same with any pub. Everyone has a favourite pub, no problem with that. I agree Sandy is one of the jollier mine hosts in CM. But not the joliest.

Have you ever had someone say to you 'what's wrong with you today? - you don't look too happy.' , when in fact there is nothing wrong with you, you just don't happen to have a permanent smile on your face, or maybe you were just thinking about something. How do you answer that, other than the obvious? :)

I ALWAYS have a permanent smile stuck on my face, but then I don't have to please anyone but myself and I don't have to perform for others. :D

I only notice if someone is in discomfort and in that case try to help them. Occasionally I've seen staff who recently had a break up with a boyfriend and all I can do is put a few extra baht in her hands.

I wish they would take Irish out of their name. It is degrading to the pubs in Ireland.

The Irish pub was started by an Irish woman (Rosemarie if I recall correctly) who was married to a Thai guy, who had actually learned baking in Europe. She went back to Ireland about 10 years ago; her husband then sold the place to Sandy, who is Australian. I think they struck the UN on the name because there is no one Irish now involved.

The Thai guy taught an older Thai woman how to bake and she was indeed very good. If she is still there that is why the baked goods are still good.

I drink at the UN pub from time to time, I don't eat there because of an incident involving a cockroach that looked like something out of an experiment in a 1950's sci-fi B movie:D . This is no reflection on the pub now as this happened around 10 years ago.

Sandy is a friendly bloke but does give the impression of being a bit of an old grump.

As Kevin mentioned it is very popular for sports events and the quiz night.

It is farang owned and managed, I find the staff there very average they do there job which is fine by me.

All in all not a bad place to drink on occasion.

I can assure you that the bugs are still there.

One month ago I ordered a salad. When it was served the salad was crawling with which looked like some kind of giant mites. Have witnesses to that incident. It was nasty and have not eaten in there since. Disgusting.

The staff moods depend on who you get and how they feel at the time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but sometimes the negativity and people jumping on band wagons to write negative comments really is depressing.

The UN Irish is probably the most popular expats pub in town and it stands to reason they must be doing something right otherwise people would simply go elsewhere; there are afterall many alternatives in town.

As to smiling all the time it is sometimes difficult to wear a smile on your face all day. Lets be honest everyone has bad days and if people are having problems in their lives away from work it can be difficult to be a permanent happy presence behind the bar. I know from recent experience how a personal tragedy can affect staff morale and service. So why not give people a break, have a quiet word with management or just not go back rather than write negative things that affect people’s livelihoods?

I have never encountered bad service or had a poor meal in the UN and people involved with the pub have shown Rachel and me a great deal of kindness and support. They are generous and big hearted and certainly don’t deserve the negative publicity on this thread.

Last time I went there I sat down for five minutes, smoked a cigarette, noone came to give me a menu, so I went and got one for myself. Then I waited for another five minutes for someone to come and take my order, noone did, so I went to the bar to place my order. Food came, but no sauces, so I went to the bar to get sauces. After I had finished, noone came to take the plate away and give me my bill, so i went to the bar and asked for the bill myself.

I can't say the service was bad, because it didn't exist. I wondered if I should maybe keep ten baht for myself as a tip. They might as well sack the waitresses, since they do nothing, and pass the savings on to the customers.

I can see both Milton's and David's points of view.

Post a good experience. Post a not so good one. Just post the truth as you see it as a customer.

The unreasonable negative posts from those who have no knowledge of the pub concerned, or just post to be contrarian are certainly not acceptable.

But that happen on many threads on TV. Disagree with someone and you will often get attacked.

Best to ignore by skipping the posts, no point getting worked up about it. Genuine posters can sort out those who are making a responsible post. Like Milton Like David.

Al entitled to our opinion.

The unreasonable negative posts from those who have no knowledge of the pub concerned, or just post to be contrarian are certainly not acceptable.

But that happen on many threads on TV. Disagree with someone and you will often get attacked.

Best to ignore by skipping the posts, no point getting worked up about it. Genuine posters can sort out those who are making a responsible post.

Maybe you can tell which posts are sincere, but many people cannot, and we are all possible customers.

I have no idea if DavidAttenborough is being honest, or not, as I have never had that happen to me there.

Don’t forget that the creeps who are lying about people's businesses - positive or negative - do their best to make other readers believe them.

I'm sorry, but we are talking about people's livelihoods here and painting places in a bad light that don't really deserve it, usually because of jealous competitors, should be avoided as much as it is possible.