Outcall Computer Doctor In Chiang Mai?

xenophanes

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Xenophanes,

"Lumpy performance from Vista Home Premium- programs not responding"

Two thoughts :

1. that's a pretty vague description, you might get more helpful answers if you posted

a. what kind of machine you're using (cpu speed, amount of ram)

b. what, if anything, (software) have you installed or changed (upgraded ?) on the computer.

c. any hardware changes.

d. what specific applications do you notice changing behavior : all of them, moving files : what ?

2. ThaiVisa has a dedicated computer forum(s) which we haven't visited much, but it seemed to have some pretty expert end-users : perhaps you might post there ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internet-com...cation-f17.html

good luck, ~o:37;

"Lumpy performance from Vista Home Premium- programs not responding"

Two thoughts :

1. that's a pretty vague description, you might get more helpful answers if you posted

a. what kind of machine you're using (cpu speed, amount of ram)

b. what, if anything, (software) have you installed or changed (upgraded ?) on the computer.

c. any hardware changes.

d. what specific applications do you notice changing behavior : all of them, moving files : what ?

2. ThaiVisa has a dedicated computer forum(s) which we haven't visited much, but it seemed to have some pretty expert end-users : perhaps you might post there ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internet-com...cation-f17.html

good luck, ~o:37;

Hello orang37,

many thanks for your response- I think my op was a little too brief too! I am having what I am sure are software problems with my Acer notebook vista hp and am looking for a service in CM that can visit my home in order to rectify the situation.

Also, thank you for your beguilingly entertaining and informative posts on TV.

I use a guy from Maerim who has proved to be a Godsend, he has helped me and many other less than savvy users.

PM me if you want his details, he charges 400 baht per hour.

This guy is a nice farang who says he knows more than he does. 400 baht per hour whether he does anything or not... In my case, he couldn't help me, but still charged me 400 baht per hour. I think his price is ridiculous.

Once again, we'll repeat the idea that : without knowing more specifics about what is slowing down (everything ? certain applications ? only Microsoft Word ? Internet use only ?), we can't say much of value in regard to your Vista Notebook. And in order to evalute ... if it is a "generic slowness" ... we need the detalis on hardware and software mentioned before.

Any recent changes in hardware or software, as we commented, could be very important to know.

We respectfully disagree with the poster on this thread who suggested : "Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open Windows Task Manager and disable whatever is using all your CPU usage and go from there."

Ioho, using the Task Manager is useful as a diagnostic tool, and more useful when you understand enough about Windows processes to be able to recognize when a process is being "off-the-wall greedy" for cpu cycles, or when some strange process raises a "red flag" for its behavior, but for most people it is best left alone.

We have to use the Task Manager sometimes to "kill" processes because we use beta Microsoft software development tools, and its necessary, sometimes because dramatic software failures can occur that require even killing and re-starting the "desktop" process itself.

But for most folks who are not tech-heads, using the Task Manager is equivalent to trying to read a foreign alphabet whose glyphs (symbols) are alien : right now my Task Manager shows eleven instances of svchost.exe running :) : which is not unusual. For 99% of people knowing such things is a waste of time.

Some "Windows Services" (processes launched on start-up) may well be running which can be disabled without side-effects, and increase performance, but knowing which ones to disable, requires some technical knowledge.

If you are sure there is no hardware problem with your notebook, you may be able to speed up Vista by some "software optimization" tricks, but that depends on which version of Vista you have, and what "effects" you have enabled now : if you have "aero" graphic effects turned on, for example, that can slow performance.

Other practices, like disk defragmentation, can also help.

In our opinion, the Norton Security Suite is a monster that can seriously degrade system performance in Vista compared to other anti-virus and firewall providers like Microsoft (MES), Kaspersky (AVG), and Avast.

And, yes, a ram upgrade, may help, but first you need to know (and tell us) what your notebook ram capacity is, and how much ram you have now, and so forth.

By the way, consider that the act of opening-up the "guts" of a notebook may (depending on the notebook design, and how hard, or easy, they've made it to upgrade ram, etc.) be much more "dangerous" than messing around inside a desktop in terms of the potential for accidental damage.

Some notebooks have very fragile flexible connectors, for example, from mainboard to display that are easily damaged. For this reason we suggest you consider service, for hardware problems, at the manufacturer's official hardware service centers. Many modern notebooks, by design, do make it very easy to pull out the hard drive, or upgrade ram.

The notebook we have makes it very easy to extract the hard-drive, but there is a very fragile flexible cable exposed which could be very easily accidentally damaged even doing that.

regards, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37