Bangkok To Become World Class City

george

They should copy Singapore: perfect, no crime, autocratic, best public transport I have seen. Utopia is boring though...

It does sound like the Masterplan is just another way to squeeze loads of money out of the Government and pass it to all the old cronies who run the construction companies, etc. Don't you get the impression that they keep coming up with these projects just to keep the money rolling into all these big businesses?

Hong Kong public transports pretty good too and it is fairly clean. Couldn't believe how quiet the roads were until I went on the underground.

Fixing footpaths. Thats a joke all they do is cement them and then let people walk on the fresh cement. I wonder if its too late to get this place in World Class Status.

Finish the sky train and extent the subway. Help with traffic. CHarge more to people coming in to BKK by car.

Either knock down the half built building or use the carpark sections and then use the rest for community housing.

Double the price on cigrettes. I smoke but happy to pay more IF the money is used to better the community.

Take a tough stance on cabs.

my 2bht

Carl

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the major causes of Bangkok traffic is the abundance of PRIVATE parking.

Beacuse the "blocks" are mostly about 2km x 2km square with loads of sois, toks & alleys everywhere there is a too much private property vesus the bitumen area.

It is commonly known that there is not enough % of bitumen, but compounding this problem is the ample parking provided (ie: at peoples homes, offices etc..) so people are able to take their car.

I am not talking about public parking but private parking where people drive to/from every day.

As an example: (correct me if I'm mistaken) but Thailand tobacco monpoly is in the middle of things and yet has loads of parking throughout its grounds thus encouranging lots of staff to drive to work.

Also note that many places like this have no business being in the middle of bangkok & should (ideally) be moved to outer areas of Bangkok, or even another chung-wart altogether.

Thailand has won 4 out of 5 Gold Asian Advertising Awards this year Japan got 1 gold. According to a u.k.-based judge, Asia is currently the best in advertising. I know that ads I'cve seen in the U.S. aren't very good.

Thai Cheer-leading team came first in the WORLD this year. It's the Rangsit U team... USA came second.

No offence... every nation has its pros and cons la.

The big problem with trying to reduce traffic in any city is to get people to use public transport...of course it is made a lot more difficult if you don't really have a viable alternative to driving to work because the public transport system is either so bad or infrequent, or simply doesn't cover your area, that you can't use it even if you wanted to.

Thailand has a lot of really good aspects too, and Bangkok is, no matter what anyone says, at the heart of it.

The local production industry for advertising (TV especially) is very creative and very good. Production quality here IS world class - absolutely no doubt.

Thailand exports of goods and components especially for the clothing and high tech industries are certainly excellent.

....but the pavements .... yes - they do need a serious fix!

One of the little annoyances of living in the original City of Angels - Krung Thep Maha Nakhorn etc...

it is famous (notorious) for all the things that make it the experience that we all know and above all as the night life capital of the East

As long as you don't want to party after 1:00 am! Night life capital of the East, my ar*e! Most of the other capital cities in the region have a lot more going for them in that regard.

it is famous (notorious) for all the things that make it the experience that we all know and above all as the night life capital of the East

As long as you don't want to party after 1:00 am! Night life capital of the East, my ar*e! Most of the other capital cities in the region have a lot more going for them in that regard.

Such as Beijing ? :o

Such as Beijing ? :o

Maybe not Beijing, but certainly Shanghai. OK, I said capital cities. Beijing has a reasonable selection of bars and clubs, if you know where to look. And they don't throw you out at 1:00 am, either.

Edited by Rumpole