Israeli Electrocuted To Death In Thailand

churchill

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Thai disregard for anything resembling safety. Nobody has any foresight in this country when it comes to public or worker safety.

Unfortunately true. It's not that Thais have direct disregard for safety, it's that the system and culture does not actively promote a need for considering risks and consequences before doing something. Road safety, marine safety, worker safety, it just doesn't exist. Everybody is sad when something goes wrong here yet if they'd have just thought about a risk before doing something then a LOT of accidents could be avoided here.

Question a man on a bike with 3 kids on it with no helmets and the response will be almost universal from Thais of “mai pen rai” or Buddha will protect, or similar response; either way no real consideration of what may happen if the bike is in an accident (oh yeah then everybody is sad once again). This is a major area where local culture REALLY needs a big change! OH&S inspectors from the developed world would be horrified time and time again here at lax safety standards, in just about all areas. Of course this is not the worse or only developing country with this problem but clearly if Thailand wants to be considered a developed nation, which it constantly alludes to, then basic safety across the board MUST be improved totally and this requires a change in socio-religious attitudes and culture in general.

Until something really bad happens to someone in power here with much influence through lack of safety nothing will change. Unfortunately even then, if something bad happened like this then rather than seeing it as an endemic problem across the board, they'd just lay blame on one poor sod worker and crucify him or her and fail to appreciate that this type of lack of safety standards is commonplace here and much improved education for all is needed in all areas. Getting locals, or even farangs that have been here too long and forget some of the good things about the developed world they came from, to think about potential risks is vital and until this happens, accidents, not just of this type, will continue to be a regular occurrence.

Yet another avoidable accident, where the consequences for one unfortunate are horrendously bad! So sorry, :) this should and could have been avoided!

Whether accident, carelessness or manslaughter by his drunk friends. Without the real facts nobody should come to quick conclusions.

One thing seems to be sure: They partied in a pool at 4 am, it was forbidden, now they cry!

I don't say this boy deserved death, but he played with fire and got burnt.

Why nobody feels for the the innocent fellow resort guests which been annoyed by these drunken rowdies for hours??

You get the vote for the most moronic post yet. You must be a real nasty person indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I really feel for this boys family, as it must be terrible for them to loose their son.

It might be moronic to you, but I still stand for my opinion that self inflicted harm should be treated as self inflicted.

I just find it not ok that people (in this case the resort owner) will be blamed automatically for the wrong doing of the victim itself, especially when the facts are not yet clear.  

Whether accident, carelessness or manslaughter by his drunk friends. Without the real facts nobody should come to quick conclusions.

One thing seems to be sure: They partied in a pool at 4 am, it was forbidden, now they cry!

Why nobody feels for the the innocent fellow resort guests which been annoyed by these drunken rowdies for hours??

You get the vote for the most moronic post yet. You must be a real nasty person indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I really feel for this boys family, as it must be terrible for them to loose their son.

It might be moronic to you, but I still stand for my opinion that self inflicted harm should be treated as self inflicted.

I just find it not ok that people (in this case the resort owner) will be blamed automatically for the wrong doing of the victim itself, especially when the facts are not yet clear.

What is it you don't understand!!

Live power cables should never be near a swimming pool Day or Night

Anywhere!!

Thai people are mostly nice people, open minded, shy, easy going, and so much other qualities, but their intellectual level is mostly very very LOW !!!

"Intellectual Thais" even speak hardly english, "Thai workers" learn their job from father to son ...

NEVER I will ask a Thai to install the electricity installation i my house and surely NEVER in my pool !!! Here in koh Samui, every day, we have electricity interruptions, every week we can admire aerial electric cables making firework, transformers exploding and electric cables hanging dangerously at children's reach ... sometimes recovered by an empty bottle of Chang beer. Its a miracle there are no more victims !!!

If Thailand would like to remain a tourist friendly country, they first should start to go to professional schools  land learn their jobs there istead from grand papa. 

I am always a little leary around water in Thailand whether it be a swimming pool or a puddle caused by rain. Anyone remember some years ago the Thai man that stepped in a electrified puddle at a patrol station and died? I have developed a nice little phobia where I touch the water briefly first before jumping in an unoccupied pool, and walk around rather than through puddles if possible. GFI should have prevented this.

On a side note, "electrocuted to death" is redundant. It's the equivalent of saying something like, "he was decapitated to death"

Edited by ScubaBuddha

They were in the pool presumably with management approval, at least tacit approval. Otherwise how could they even be in the pool at that hour? Their drunkenness may or may not be relevant. That would depend on exactly what happened. That the electrocution occurred on private property in a public area ensures the owner is responsible, without question. If the revelers were behaving in an unsafe manner then the management had the duty to stop the dangerous behavior and maintain their safety. This was not done, clearly, as there was a death involved. This is negligence on the part of the management. I can't see any way in which the management can escape culpability, though I doubt that anything will be done.

RIP to the young man who lost his life.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Mr. I-know-everything-I-told-you

The only thing self inflicted was the belief that you could trust that things would be done in a safe manner here.

These events always puzzle me, as related they are not possible. If a person in freely suspended in water, (particularly chlorinated water), they cannot be electrocuted by dropping a live mains feed into the water.

Electricity flows from "live" to "ground" (neutral), it will follow the path of least resistance, or using Kirchoff's laws, the paths of least resistance.

If a twin cable with exposed ends is dropped into a conductive fluid, the path of least resistance is the half a centimetre or so of water seperating the two wires. If you managed to just immerse the live wire only in the swimming pool then the current will flow to ground via the water, the amount which actually flows through a swimmer would be minute.

Try it yourself, strip the insulation off the end of a twin cable, connect it to the mains supply and dip the bare ends into a basin of salt water, you will see violent activity at the cut end, green fumes and possibly a flame. Put a fish in the water and it will get excited by the activity, but not killed.

Additionally with a healthy person 220v is painful but not lethal, otherwise I would not be writing this :) . What kills is the shock and duration of the shock, just as a loud bang can shock some people to death. An ELCB or RCCB would have prevented this, when I rewired my Thai house I fitted an RCCB at the input to my distribution box, I can safely stick my finger into any mains socket. The RCCB trips at 30 mA, enough to make you say "ouch". if I had chosen a 5 mA trip I would not even notice before it tripped.

And the same can be said about a lot of tourists coming here also. You should never swim when you are drunk! When they behave like idiots, this things will happen. Read and learn!

As the cable could have fallen during daytime and with stone cold sober guests as well - unless we haven't been told that someone (drunk) had done something to make that cable fall, I feel your comment is off the mark.

ya, cables dont just fall out of the air. it was probably very well secured according to Thai standards to the top of a shaky pole. someone leaned on the pole (or grabbed it to steady themselves) and the cable fell.

how long has the cable been there and NOT fallen during daytime without drunk farangs?

'accidents' are usually caused. Thailand is a stupid place, but farangs in Thailand are even dumber.

in all Postings, regarding this Accident, I simply miss the Argument, that the Legislation in Thailand is too lax to punish these People/Companies, who employ unsufficcient trained Workers and Controllers

Just let me ask, what Consequences for the People/Companies such an Accident would have in Europe, North America or Australia?

I can't speak for other countries but I know that in Australia the business concerned would be shut down untill a full investigation is conducted. This investigation would be conducted by two separate bodies being the work cover authorities as the place was a business and work place. If they found any form of neglect of failure to provide a safe working enviroment then they have the power to prosecute and also refer thier findings to the police for possible criminal charges. The police would also investigate and someone will be found liable. After the completion of these investigation there would quite possibly be civil action where the business would be sued or any contractor who may have left equipment around that led to the tragic event.

Oh then there is the coronial inquiry that makes 3 separate investigation into the incident..

Edited by moetownblues

in all Postings, regarding this Accident, I simply miss the Argument, that the Legislation in Thailand is too lax to punish these People/Companies, who employ unsufficcient trained Workers and Controllers

Just let me ask, what Consequences for the People/Companies such an Accident would have in Europe, North America or Australia?

I can't speak for other countries but I know that in Australia the business concerned would be shut down untill a full investigation is conducted. This investigation would be conducted by two separate bodies being the work cover authorities as the place was a business and work place. If they found any form of neglect of failure to provide a safe working enviroment then they have the power to prosecute and also refer thier findings to the police for possible criminal charges. The police would also investigate and someone will be found liable. After the completion of these investigation there would quite possibly be civil action where the business would be sued or any contractor who may have left equipment around that led to the tragic event.

R.I.P.

and condolences to the friends & relatives!

Speechless....

This would be called a "legal procedure", until it runs into a "crime investigation" - wonder what it's called here?

"cover up"?

Edited by Samuian

RIP

Sad story, same thing happened to my neighbors little boy a few years ago in

Pattaya

Electricity and water don't mix and should be kept well apart

But then most people know that

:)

Sad story's all over,but what to think about this electric water heater's? they are used all over Thailand.

Me, I never feel save when I use this heater's especialy because I now thai's don't take grounding electric equipment serious!!

This moment I live in a place without a shower heater it is cold but more save!rolleyes.gif

Take care

The good ones have instant blockingsystem the leaking current, like in Europe is a must on the mainboard !!

Typical Thai disregard for anything resembling safety. Nobody has any foresight in this country when it comes to public or worker safety.

And the same can be said about a lot of tourists coming here also. You should never swim when you are drunk! When they behave like idiots, this things will happen. Read and learn!

Your totally right, a friend of mine was drunk and thinking he was an olympic diver decided to dive of his balcony in to the pool. He misjudged the hight and hit his head on the pool floor breaking his neck. Spent the rest of his holiday in the hospital feeling sorry for himself whist everbody else was out getting pissed and laid. What an idiot !!

.."The death is sad and unwarranted. The cause will of course be never investigated or rectified..."

my bpen rai is taken too far in LOS at times, WAY too far..the blame game is pointless now for this poor fellow..so sad to say

If you think about it maybe a little more scrutiny should be had on his "friends" who were there. Throwing a cable into the pool while someone you dislike is around is a pretty good way to knock someone off. Thais generally don't care a about dead foreigners on the islands especially if it's farang and it looks like an accident. There are no real laws on those places anyhow so it would be the perfect crime so to speak.

so sad. The fact of the sign IMO is irrelevant, as, if the cable was not secure then it could have fallen during daytime too.

RIP young man.

Very sad, agree about the cable, imagine it falling with a pool full of people.

You really think a cable just fell down randomly?

No mate, I think somebody did it on purpose :) . The fact remains what is it doing near the water in the first place? Under repair the pool was? It has and will be this way throughout this place until the time that people get thrown in Jail (see santika, ko phi phi and so on) or people stop visiting.

The excuse that "sorry you died, the pool was closed at 4am" doesn't hold water - although convenient for some.

unlucky chap

but amazing that more of this kind of 'accident' doesn't occur

especially on koh phangnan...the place is a disaster waiting to happen

Could you kindly explain why KPG "is a disaster waiting to happen" more of the rest of Thailand. Nostradamus?

because kpg is world famous (infamous) for the drug and alcohol fuelled kids parties lasting for days. The other places in thailand, even pattaya, are more reputable.

partying all night in the private might be acceptable, but should not in the public places, because of the security for the participants and other users of the resort and pool.

can be quite sure, that after a night of kids alkohol party, the water will have to be changed and pool cleaned from debris (including broken glass). To prevent this the pool can be used only when menagement is present, gives a permission and supervises conduct.

Look, some details about what happened are simply missing. Where did the fallen cable come from? Why did it fall? How come another party goer jumped into a live wire pool? It was heroic but did he know the electricity threat was gone (or just drunk?) Its impossible to make any further assumptions about what really happened without more facts.

Its very sad about the tragic death of this boy. I must say I do appreciate the Jewish wit in the face of tragedy of one of the witnesses: "To see a kid like this whom you were swimming and laughing with a second ago is not so nice."

Edited by Jingthing

A lot of assumeing going on here you know what happens when you assume. You make an as- out of you and me.

It is unbelieveable how these stories brings out such stupidity in some of the posters here.

It is a shame that a young man has to die no matter how.

Lets wait and get more info about what happened before making more assumptions

I agree, thanks for one of the few intelligent remarks.

A lot of assumeing going on here you know what happens when you assume. You make an as- out of you and me.

It is unbelieveable how these stories brings out such stupidity in some of the posters here.

It is a shame that a young man has to die no matter how.

Lets wait and get more info about what happened before making more assumptions

I agree, thanks for one of the few intelligent remarks.

Seconded.

Sincere condolences to the family.

Don't Swim With Shocks - CPSC, American Red Cross Warn of Electrocutions in Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs and Spas

There have been 60 deaths and nearly 50 serious shocks reported over the past 13 years involving electrical hazards in and around swimming pools.

Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters (GFCIs) – the best safety device to prevent electrocution.

"The best protection for families is inspection, detection, and correction of electrical hazards in and around swimming pools, hot tubs and spas," says CPSC Chairman Hal Stratton. "CPSC strongly encourages residential and commercial pool owners and operators to upgrade protection of the lights, receptacles, and switches with GFCIs. Older pools are the biggest concern, as underwater lighting fixtures may have degraded with age and may not be protected by GFCIs."

The CPSC and the American Red Cross are also warning swimmers that electrical hazards around a pool, hot tub or spa can lead to multiple deaths or injuries. This occurs when an individual becomes incapacitated by stray current in the water and one or more persons jump in or reach out to save the victim, resulting in multiple electrocutions or serious shocks.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03125.html

Additionally electrical appliances such as radios and TVs and extension cords falling or being pulled into the water are as well causes of electrocution.

http://www.progressiveic.com/n5june03.htm

here some facts for those who dont read articles carefully and start moaning around and make conclusions and whatever without switsching brain on...

like you can read it was a cable from a cleaning machine for the pool...

thats why the pool is closed in the nighttime...

other facts in this article below will also answer questions why he was the only one who died...

after you reading this you will know more about...

and for those who will start moaning why they dont put a security guard there or why the security from the hotel doesnt react on a group of people making a party in the morning at a closed swimmingpool...

thats the only question i als had no answer...

but if i would stay in a resort and drunken youngsters will start a party in the morning at a pool and i have my bungalow nearby... i will tell them how to make a party... thats for sure

Soriano and his friends had come back from a party at 4 a.m. to Friendly Bungalows, the resort on Ko Phangan's Sunset Beach where they were staying.

Although the pool was closed and there was a sign on the grounds warning against swimming at night, Soriano and his friends entered it anyway.

A cable connected to a pool-cleaning machine fell into the water, and though Soriano's friends were also swimming, he was the only one electrocuted.

"His friends were in the pool with him, but he was closest to the wire," said Dobri, who had spoken earlier with Soriano's friends. "So Ariel took the brunt of the shock. And it took them about a minute to get out of the pool, because they had to disconnect the electricity; it didn't turn off automatically, so they couldn't touch the side of the pool."

Soriano's friends had to run into town to find a doctor.

According to one doctor at a Ko Phangan hospital, some resorts have had private ambulances stationed at large parties in case of emergencies, but since Soriano was electrocuted so late at night, he went without medical treatment for more than half an hour.

"We close the pool at night, so there weren't people around," said Bendi, a worker at Friendly Bungalows.

Dr. Kitti Sak, a doctor at a nearby clinic, was eventually brought to Soriano, whose face had turned purple from a lack of oxygen.

"I determined that he was brain-dead at the pool, since he wasn't responding to light," Sak said.

Soriano was then transported on a stretcher in a tuk-tuk - a motorized cart - to Sak's clinic.

"We used adrenaline for about 40 minutes," Sak said. "But there was nothing we could do. We pronounced him dead at that point."

Rabbi Nechemia Wilhelm, director of the Chabad House in Bangkok, said that a Chabad undertaker would oversee the preparation and transferring of Soriano's body to Israel.

Dobri said that the Foreign Ministry hoped to have Soriano's body back in Israel by Wednesday morning.

Soriano's friends, who had planned to stay in Thailand for two more weeks, were due to arrive in Israel on Tuesday morning.

Ko Phangan is a popular destination for Israelis vacationing after the army. The area is best known for its monthly Full Moon parties, when 10,000 to 20,000 backpackers converge on the beaches in Thailand's southern gulf.