Bangkok Bank (swift Code) Transfer Problem From Uk

I have returned to the UK for 2 months and today tried to send money into Bangkok Bank account from Abbey (Santander). I showed them Bank address, account number and swift code. They said the swift code was incorrect, i have an 8 digit swift code which consists off 8 letters BBK BTHBK but they told me it should be 11 digits and have some numbers in it.

Could anyone who has done a transfer before help me out as i havent been in the UK for a while and this is the first time i have had to go into a branch and send over money.

Thankyou

Edited by Kadafi

According to SWIFT's own website (http://www.bank-swift.com/bank_swift_code.php) the SWIFT code for the Bangkok Bank branch which is on the SWIFT network (333 Silom Road) is BKKBTHBKXXX

Yes i gave the swift code as BBK BTHBK but she said it was incorrect

As I said the SWIFT site says the code should be BKKBTHBKXXX which is 11 characters. Perhaps you try that and see if it's acceptable to her.

According to SWIFT's own website (http://www.bank-swift.com/bank_swift_code.php) the SWIFT code for the Bangkok Bank branch which is on the SWIFT network (333 Silom Road) is BKKBTHBKXXX

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those XXX tag themselves on automatically when I type in the swift code----think they are just blank boxes to be used with other codes.

Suggest you go to the next nearest bank and ask them what code they have---also make sure you have the correct name and spelling as stated on the payee's account

Hi I have sent money from Nat West Bank UK to Bangkok Bank Using Swift Code BKKBTHBK

This is the Swift Code For Bangkok Bank Thailand 333 Silom Road

Other than that info you will need Benficiary's Account no And Address

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just use the banks address along with the account name and number >>>>>>>

BANGKOK BANK PCI HEAD OFFICE

333 SILOM ROAD BANGKOK BANK

10500 THAILAND

SWIFT: BKKBTHBK

Hi I have sent money from Nat West Bank UK to Bangkok Bank Using Swift Code BKKBTHBK

This is the Swift Code For Bangkok Bank Thailand 333 Silom Road

Other than that info you will need Benficiary's Account no And Address

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just use the banks address along with the account name and number >>>>>>>

BANGKOK BANK PCI HEAD OFFICE

333 SILOM ROAD BANGKOK BANK

10500 THAILAND

SWIFT: BKKBTHBK

I didnt sign up with that address, do i give my branch address or this Bangkok address?

Especially the computer generated codes as used in Europe need the additional XXX for verification. Your computer program gives then even the correct bank. This XXX is for the main office = Silom road.

Sometimes you get the regional number, for instance

BKKBTHBK114 for Bookkalo branch, Thonburi 10600

But in reality the bank account numnber takes care to let your transfer arrive on the correct spot.

I do this since 1995

If you get to the SWIFT website you can check all the above info, but it is the consistent with what is advised already.

The 333 silom address seems to be ok for transfers (if required), I never heard of anyone needing local branch addresses in Thailand although they are on BBL's website (Find a branch).

If you can put a Thai telephone number it helps in case something is not clear on this end - the bank can contact the recipient to check details; but if they have no way of contacting, and something is incorrect, then the funds can be "on hold" for some time or until the recipient contacts the bank.

These are the details, in fact part of the letter I send..I also have to include a sequenced secret number each time I fax to them..security..

Dear

Re: Account Number xxxxxxxx Sort xx-xx-xx

Account Name Mr xxxxxx and Mrs xxxxx xxxxx

I would like a SWIFT transfer from the above account to my bank in Thailand.

Thailand Bank

Bangkok Bank Public Co.Ltd, Samakkee Road, Prachanivet Branch.

Head Office 333 Silom Road, Bangkok, Thailand

Account Name Mr

Account Number 06xxxxxx

SWIFT Code BKKBTHBK,

I would wish to transfer £5,000 (five thousand pounds) from our current account to the above named account.

THE MONEY MUST BE SENT AS GBP and not THB

Never have any problems.............

Hope that this helps

I have just done a SWIFT transfer with Nationwide Building Society to my Bangkok Bank account.

I do it every year to top up my Thai Bank account.

The SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK and I am sure that can be confirmed on Bangkok Banks website.

Though I always put my Petchabun town Bangkok Bank address on the application form, the money is always tranferred to the main branch in Bangkok then up to your local account.

If you call the international transfer funds department for Bangkok Bank, give your name and account number they will tell you when the money has arrived.

Tel: - 02 6857777. Works for me.

You have now twice quoted the SWIFT code as BBKBTHBK which is not the same as everyone else is saying. Note the difference:

BBKBTHBK

BKKBTHBK

So if you have given your bank the SWIFT code you say then it is in deed incorrect.

Most banks quote their main SWIFT code in eight characters format, and the payment systems in most banks will automatically add the extra XXX at the end. If your bank is unable to do this, then just add the extra characters yourself and quote the SWIFT code as BKKBTHBKXXX (like everyone is suggesting).

Sophon

I have always been under the impression that all bank accounts are held at the bank's Head Office so that they can be accessed from wherever. If the banks in Thailand do not use dedicated lines then they must be out of their minds - maybe a distinct possibility. ASAIK dedicated lines attract a fixed annual sum and the use and volume of traffic is a matter for the bank alone. It follows that the inter region charge is a scam.

A point to bear in mind is to open an account with a Thai bank that is chummy with your overseas bank. Sending money from a Bank of Scotland offshore account to UOB in Pattaya, the money is routed to Barclays Bank in London, thence to KTB in BKK thence to UOB. The KTB transfer charges are horrendous and greater than the telex charges. The answer that I came up with was to open a KTB account, draw the money out when it arrives and then walk down the road and deposit it in UOB. Your overseas bank will be able to tell you who they are in bed with - or not.

Check Bangkok Banks web site:

www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOK%20BANK/PERSONAL%20BANKING/FOREIGN%20CUSTOMERS/Pages/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.aspx#5

Seems like I am not allowed to add links to my posts, copy URL above and paste in your browser

Edited by MansonDust

• 3 weeks later...
I have just done a SWIFT transfer with Nationwide Building Society to my Bangkok Bank account.

I do it every year to top up my Thai Bank account.

The SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK and I am sure that can be confirmed on Bangkok Banks website.

Though I always put my Petchabun town Bangkok Bank address on the application form, the money is always tranferred to the main branch in Bangkok then up to your local account.

If you call the international transfer funds department for Bangkok Bank, give your name and account number they will tell you when the money has arrived.

Tel: - 02 6857777. Works for me.

I have asked Santander (Abbey) how to send via SWIFT and they say there's no such thing, and I must mean TT. They are quite adamant I am making this up. I, as well as everyone on this thread, no I am not.

What do I need to do to make a SWIFT transfer from UK to my bank here, BKKBTHBK and how much does it cost?

Edited by hunglikea

I transferred a large sum from my UK Abbey A/C to my Bangkok Bank in Pattaya , the procedure was for me to fax the completed swift form plus copies of my passport and driving licence to Abbey, the charge was £20 . Details on the form were the receiving bank address/a/c No. with the swift code: BKKBTHBK

Worked fine for me. I would suggest the person you are dealing with in Abbey does not understand the international banking system and you request to see the manager.

I transferred a large sum from my UK Abbey A/C to my Bangkok Bank in Pattaya , the procedure was for me to fax the completed swift form plus copies of my passport and driving licence to Abbey, the charge was £20 . Details on the form were the receiving bank address/a/c No. with the swift code: BKKBTHBK

Worked fine for me. I would suggest the person you are dealing with in Abbey does not understand the international banking system and you request to see the manager.

I have suggested this and all they've done is send me a link to 'how to complain' and the complaints procedure.

They say..."Thanks for your e-mail regarding a Swift transfer. You can arrange a Swift transfer but at Santander this is called a Telegraphic Transfer and I think this has been causing some confusion."

They don't seem to think there is a difference. It's waste calling them as it takes forever to get through to the correct person, I've told them to call me here at their expense.

Is there a special SWIFT form and is it available online, I haven't managed to find it.

Edited by hunglikea

On Monday I sent a fax to my IOM bank requesting a Sterling transfer to my Bangkok Bank account quoting SWIFT code BKKBTHBK and agreed to pay the 20 Pound fee separately.

Instead, they sent to SWIFT code BKKBGB2L which is Bangkok Bank, London who charged me 60 pounds, converted to THB and then forwarded to BB, Bangkok where I was charged the THB 500 standard fee.

So, the total cost was:

GBP 20

plus

GBP 60

plus

THB 500

When I queried this with the IOM bank they told me that they are only a small retail bank and don't have a correspondent relationship with Bangkok Bank, Thailand. Maybe true, but if so why not transfer to BB, London via Bacs which is free of charge, or maybe just the usual fobbing off reply. I'm off to my Bangkok Bank branch here today - any similar experience or advice?

Jor

Try changing banks.....

I won't even comment on Abbey (which I WAS a customer of for 20 years) but this week I made an online transfer from my Standard Bank Isle Of Man to Bangkok Bank.

Did the transfer online on Weds evening and it was available in the account on Thursday evening and it cost £20.

Try changing banks.....

I won't even comment on Abbey (which I WAS a customer of for 20 years) but this week I made an online transfer from my Standard Bank Isle Of Man to Bangkok Bank.

Did the transfer online on Weds evening and it was available in the account on Thursday evening and it cost £20.

I'm wondering whether I can make a free BACS transfer to my LloydsTSB account in London and then transfer from there. A likely problem is that LloydsTSB will think I'm laundering and make problems but Ill give it a try.

Jor

Try changing banks.....

Hi Changnaam,

May I ask..does your online transfer work the same as BB mentions on their website, funds transfer from UK to Thailand via BB London using the UK BACS? Thanks you. :)