Hua Hin V Phuket

minefield

I have been looking at retiring in Phuket in the early in the new year but with all the problems they are having with Tuk-Tuk drivers and the Mafia run taxi service that charges what they like, And the fact if you live there you will have problems parking because the Mafia run services claim all parking for them selves and the police do nothing.

Hua-Hin.

it's a option that we are looking at so could someone please tell me what the hospitals Beach's, are like and are there any shopping malls and yes are there any bus services and what are the taxi services like?, I guess I am trying to find out as much as I can as we may fly to bangkok and instead of flying straight to Phuket stop off in Hua Hin and check it out.

Any info would be helpful......Thanks

I have homes in Phuket and Hua Hin

Phuket is far better on hospitals, quality of beaches and ocean water, shopping malls and groceries. But it is crowded of tourists this time of year. It also has an international airport.

I like Hua Hin because its a thai town with thai people, still providing western stuff like a mall and western food. Suvarnabum is only 2 hours by car

Tuk tuk mafia and parking problems are similar in these 2 places.

Hua Hin seems to be crowded with foreign crooks mainly dealing with real estate, but they should be easy to avoid.

Hua-Hin.

it's a option that we are looking at so could someone please tell me what the hospitals Beach's, are like and are there any shopping malls and yes are there any bus services and what are the taxi services like?, I guess I am trying to find out as much as I can as we may fly to bangkok and instead of flying straight to Phuket stop off in Hua Hin and check it out.

Besides the info already provided, to answer some of your questions specifically, there are currently two hospitals, one private and one government. Many don't consider their services adequate so go to Bangkok (2 hours) for medical care. A branch of one of the top hospitals in the country is being built at the moment so within a year the hospital problem should be solved. There is no comparison of the beaches. Phuket has much better beaches than the ones in and near Hua Hin. Nicer beaches are within an hour's drive south of Hua Hin but the main beach is certainly not a great one and it disappears completely during high tide. There is one major shopping mall (Hua Hin Market Village) that has anchor stores of Tesco and HomePro and includes the usual array of restaurants and smaller shops selling electronics, clothing, etc. There is also an Index Living Mall for housewares and furnishings. There is no large "department store" here like Central or Robinson's though. As for taxis, we have no meter taxis. We have tuk tuks and pick up taxis only and they are expensive (by Bangkok standards). There is a "Baht Bus" service where green pickups (with yellow stripes) run up and down the main street of town all the way from the south end of Khao Takiab to north Hua Hin. I haven't used one in a while but I think they are currently ten baht for however far you want to go on the route. They pass about every 20 minutes and you just wave them down and hop on the back, ring a bell (by pushing a button) when you want to get off and then go to the driver and pay your ten baht.