Car Insurance

MrWiggle

contact the Thaivisa insurance service, using your TV username when you fill in a form. or use another broker, it doesn't matter, the key is use a broker and they'll guide you in the right direction in terms of which companies offer the best services/coverage/prices.

It wouldn't be right for me to tell you the company I insured my car with or the premium as I've never made a claim so can't really vouch for the companies integrity or the value of the insurance. A quote for a premium is worthless without knowing what is covered. A broker will have actual experience of which companies pay out and how they deal with customer claims etc.

I can, however, share my experience of 'Thai Insurance' car insurance. I bought a Toyota Soluna-Vios second-hand in 2006 (big mistake - I've always bought new since then) and the dealer sorted out insurance for me. Unfortunately the car was stolen and it took me six-months and hours of phoning/pleading/office visits to get the company to pay out, even with the police report (which BTW the police wanted paying for). If I'd used a broker, they probably could have warned me against which companies aren't too keen on paying out.

Good luck, Happy New year.

• 1 month later...

I've got some bad experience with ThaiVisa Insurance, so be warned. Had a so called first class car insurance with AXA for 1 year old Honda Civic, but when we had an small accident, we were informed that we can't do the repairs with the Honda mechanic!!! No prior warning/advice from the broker, they were just interested in a quick sale. I'm just happy the car wasn't seriously damaged. But even so now we have to worry about finding a trustworthy mechanic. Anyone know any?

The Honda people felt sorry for us when they saw what we premium we paid. I feel scammed.

I've got some bad experience with ThaiVisa Insurance, so be warned. Had a so called first class car insurance with AXA for 1 year old Honda Civic, but when we had an small accident, we were informed that we can't do the repairs with the Honda mechanic!!! No prior warning/advice from the broker, they were just interested in a quick sale. I'm just happy the car wasn't seriously damaged. But even so now we have to worry about finding a trustworthy mechanic. Anyone know any?

The Honda people felt sorry for us when they saw what we premium we paid. I feel scammed.

It pays to check which repair shops are part of the insurers network as a typical insurer will have their own network of preferred body shops which you must use.

This is a typical situation of a close to worthless insurance. Covers crap repairs in backyards only, and often the owner has to pay "garage" for the repair and then claim from insurancecompany. If your lucky you get your money (lets say 500k baht) back a month later.

Been there, done that, fortunately on a smaller amount.

OP, I would contact your local Toyota body/paint repairshop to check which insurancecompanies accept your Toyota to be repaired at Toyota garage according to Toyota standards with Toyota parts. Ask which companies they give credit and find easy to work with.

Then I would get quotes from these insurancecompanies. I could name some, there are only a handfull, but rather you find the answer first hand.

Let us know how it works out, so other readers can avoid the crap-insurance companies or brokers

Edit Normal price would be 2-4% of vehicles insured value if no prior claim. There are also huge differences in cover for bail-bond, other parties car (2-10mill baht) and so on.

Edited by katabeachbum

Well I had exactly the opposite experience with AA aka TV Insurance. When my policy was due for renewal, I received one price for dealer cover and another price for non dealer cover. the figures were around 18k and 26k I believe. Both with Axa actually.

I was even given a list of the approved garages, were I to chose non dealer insurance. I cannot actually think of anything more that TV Insurance could have done. They were completely open about everything and totally transparent.