Alleged Teacher's License Requirements

I just got word from my boss that the next sign up for the TLT will be confirmed between Jan.11-31st :) . It supposed to take place in March according to the TC. She was also told by the TC that waivers will be extended for another 2 years as long as the teacher submits the receipt showing that they have signed up for the tests. I will keep the forum posted.

I am not a Teacher here in Thailand although I have taught back in the U.S.. But has anyone thought that it might be time for the "Farang Teachers" to organize, form a Union or whatever, and stand as "One Group" rather than "One Teacher" at "One School"??? 100,000 baht for what, if like most "Thai Programs", will end up being mostly a Joke and waste of time for all concerned.

Pianoman

My school, a government school in Pattaya has informed all teachers that they must have a BA. Edu. or Grad. Dip. Edu. by April this year (2010) or they will no longer qualify for a teacher's license, visa (non-imm :D or work permit. We have also been informed by the Ministry of Education that the Graduate Diploma in Teaching offered by Ramkamhaeng University is not certified and is not able to be used as part of a teacher's license application.

Original Poster.

Yes, Thai0z. Let's get some references shall we? I think you won't provide any because I've contacted the departments and nobody knows anything :)

Nice writing; you sound just like the guy at our school who's telling us this stuff. Hmmmmm...

So then, what are you going to do about it? Travel to St. Theresa's every weekend? I doubt that would be good for the guys in Hat yai, Non-Kai, Nakorn Sri Thammarat.... etc

If it's true, it's foolish.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I think I know you. No offence.

Please call their bluff, especially if you have worked there for at least one year. I believe that the sky is falling, but not when it comes to teachers in Muang Thai. One example: Sarassat the Saviour! Who would be working at all there franchises if having a licence or certificate mattered?

I don't know about all of the Sarasas Schools, but most get their employees a Work Permit and in order to do that, they must have a T.L. or the waiver.

Different rules apply in different areas and I have never fully understood why. For example, some programs with a mini-English program or some variation of an English program, do not require degrees. Other programs do require degrees. These variations are enforced by the MOE.

I think the question at this point is what changes are in the works for the Teacher's License. Our Administrative Assistant in charge of these matters is not aware of any change and the waivers are being granted as they always have been in the past. But that is where I am located. Other places may be operating in a completely different manner.

I don't know about all of the Sarasas Schools, but most get their employees a Work Permit and in order to do that, they must have a T.L. or the waiver.

Different rules apply in different areas and I have never fully understood why. For example, some programs with a mini-English program or some variation of an English program, do not require degrees. Other programs do require degrees. These variations are enforced by the MOE.

I think the question at this point is what changes are in the works for the Teacher's License. Our Administrative Assistant in charge of these matters is not aware of any change and the waivers are being granted as they always have been in the past. But that is where I am located. Other places may be operating in a completely different manner.

Well where I live it's the visa extensions that require us to show a TL or waiver letter, the WP's are issued regardless.

So, if you don't have a TL or waiver, then you don't get the visa extenstion and therefore couldn't get a WP, correct?

At our school the work permits were renewed last year before any of us required a visa extension. When our WP's were renewed they didn't ask for a TL or waiver letter, that was only asked for a few weeks later by immigration when we got our visas extended.

Edited by skybluestu

Obviously variations occur. We go for the visa extension first. The same day (usually), the Administrative Assistant takes the passport to the Labor Ministry for renewal of the Work Permit. Where exactly the TL or waiver is used, I don't know, but it is presented to one or both of them.

Dear Pianoman,

I have already started "Teachers for Change", in order to provide: focus, solidarity, commitment, professionalism, humour...etc. I have already started with one International School, and I expect the movement to snowball. Expect a lengthy delay in its implementation because one member has withered since the puck has dropped. Members plan to change the culture at one school at a time.

As for ************, almost all schools employ teachers without a degree. Without this, their empire would crumble; the fast food franchise would have no one to listen to their crap.

Bon appetit