Apple Mac Pro Laptop

Asmerom

I have an Apple Mac Pro laptop and I want to enhance the speakers sound with a speaker I can connect to it. The iStudio in Sirimankalagan Road ( I'm in Chiang Mai) has only one small model costing about 6000 baht and very reluctant service. There are knowledgeable people there but they have to be dragged protestingly out of the back office which I didn't succeed in doing.I was served by a little girl who had to keep going back and forth to get answers to my questions. I gave up. The Apple desk at Airport plaza ( no little girls ) has about three speakers ranging from 7000/14,000 baht. The latter speaker also connects to the latest Apple iphone which the others don't.

I'm interested only in playing classical music fom the BBC Third Programme and no interest in playing songs on an iphone ,which I don't own.

Questions :

1. Has anyone any advice on which Speaker would suit my purposes?

2. Can I go to any shop and purchase any speaker or for an Apple Mac laptop or am I resticted to only a few which are compatible?

Edited by Asmerom

Asmerom... If you are looking for the best sound from your computer versus just louder speakers, you might consider hooking your Mac up to a surround sound system. I bought a Pioneer DVD/AM/FM/Amp combo with 5 speakers, one which is a 60 watt sub-woofer and the sound is superb. Siam TV has them on sale now for about 9000 baht but I bought mine three years ago for 11K. You simply use an adapter cable from your earphone jack to the system and select the "line" input on the system. And if you use Skype, a nifty feature is that with audio notifications available with Skype for Macs, you can have announcements played over your music on who is calling or logging on. Hope that gives you another option for what you are looking for.

Asmerom... If you are looking for the best sound from your computer versus just louder speakers, you might consider hooking your Mac up to a surround sound system. I bought a Pioneer DVD/AM/FM/Amp combo with 5 speakers, one which is a 60 watt sub-woofer and the sound is superb. Siam TV has them on sale now for about 9000 baht but I bought mine three years ago for 11K. You simply use an adapter cable from your earphone jack to the system and select the "line" input on the system. And if you use Skype, a nifty feature is that with audio notifications available with Skype for Macs, you can have announcements played over your music on who is calling or logging on. Hope that gives you another option for what you are looking for.

Thanks all for the replies and this one looks especially interesting. After the holidays I'll certainly be visiting them. They may even be open to-day. Trouble is, no one ever speaks English and I can't speak Thai so its always a frustating business getting any help in these electronic shops. You have to know exactly what you want then maybe just ask them to demonstrate it. As for helpful advice; its non-existent. I hate venturing into them.

I was in Siam TV the other day standing alongside two shelves stacked with CD Players ( those antiquated things with radios attached which is just about where my electronic knowledge ends)) and I called over an assistant asking him what CD Players they had. "Don't have", he said. I pointed to one of the dozen CD Players on the shelf beside us and asked," Is this a CD Player". "Yes, we have that one". Do you have any others? "Don't have", he replied,insanely denying the existence of two shelves of CD Players.

Charitably, I put it down to both of us being linguistically challenged. And I suppose its arrogant of me expecting assistants to speak English. Why should they?

But many thanks for the help.