Police Crackdown On Drink Drivers

andyandythai

I have just arrived home after driving aout 500km over the last 2 days , i went through 3 road blocks where there where a lot of police but they werent stopping anybody ,that i could see of, also i saw numerous police blocks in most villages and Amphurs that they set up every New year and Song Kran manned by police and civiliansb but they just sit at their tables drinking coffee etc ,not once have i seen one of them go to the side of the road to check the traffic! this drive took me to Khon Kaen , Loei , Udon , Why are they there or what are they there for?

I haven't read any of these posts but want to vent my anger a little

My wife has just returned from the local market which is 2 km's from our house

There are two police road blocks to check for drink drivers on the stretch back to our house.

She was poodling along on a motorbike with our 4 year old daughter and noticed a car coming towards her but swerving from left to right all over the road.

This happened virtually on the police road block. My wife pulled off the road in fear of her life and stopped at the police roadblock.

The police stopped the car and my wife was curious as to what would happen to the driver..

All that happened was he was told to not drive the car and his passenger then got in the driver's seat and drove off.

The guy driving was absolutely blind drunk!

Was it good will by the BiB?

Or was he one of those types "above the law?" after all "it was a shiny new pick up truck"

This guy would definitely have killed someone or himself and the BiB did nothing!!

I find it quite outrageous.

Note. My wife said no money changed hands either....maybe he was off duty???

Sounds like it was an off duty cop or local official :)

No Lights, No Helmets, weaving in and out of lanes, undertaking speeding, overloaded motorbikes -- A FAMILY OF FOUR OR FIVE ON A MBIKE - IS NOT CUTE IT IS <deleted> STUPID. As a motorcyclist of many years experience I get especially pissed off when I see children and often babies being transported by irresponsible adults --- yet the police do nothing -- they are too busy stopping farang tourists asking "where is your international riving permit" === of course that is resolved with the ubiquitous 'tip'.

Is this term "drink driving" really the way it's said or a typo? I thought it was "drunk driving". ??

Seems the Brits use Drink Driving, versus Americans using Drunk Driving

Or the more offical sounding catch-all

"Driving while under the influence of alcohol."

Semantics, not typos.

So .05 is the Official Thailand limit....

most seem over .5 most nights of the week.

Ah, ok. Can someone please let the Brits know they are saying it wrong. :)

There are two police road blocks to check for drink drivers on the stretch back to our house.

She was poodling along on a motorbike with our 4 year old daughter and noticed a car coming towards her but swerving from left to right all over the road.

This happened virtually on the police road block. My wife pulled off the road in fear of her life and stopped at the police roadblock.

The police stopped the car and my wife was curious as to what would happen to the driver..

All that happened was he was told to not drive the car and his passenger then got in the driver's seat and drove off.

Or was he one of those types "above the law?" after all "it was a shiny new pick up truck"

This guy would definitely have killed someone or himself and the BiB did nothing!!

No Lights, No Helmets, weaving in and out of lanes, undertaking speeding, overloaded motorbikes -- A FAMILY OF FOUR OR FIVE ON A MBIKE - IS NOT CUTE IT IS <deleted> STUPID. As a motorcyclist of many years experience I get especially pissed off when I see children and often babies being transported by irresponsible adults --- yet the police do nothing -- they are too busy stopping farang tourists asking "where is your international riving permit" === of course that is resolved with the ubiquitous 'tip'.

My friend living in Patong drives a motorbike through police checkpoints "drink driving" on a regular basis. He is so drunk that he can barely stand to get the license from under his seat. As long as he has a helmet on and has his ID, they let him go without a word. This is routine.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Is this term "drink driving" really the way it's said or a typo? I thought it was "drunk driving". ??

Seems the Brits use Drink Driving, versus Americans using Drunk Driving

Or the more offical sounding catch-all

"Driving while under the influence of alcohol."

Semantics, not typos.

So .05 is the Official Thailand limit....

most seem over .5 most nights of the week.

Awww, this is bunk, drunk driving is one of my favorite past times in Thailand.

post-88550-1262289231_thumb.jpg

post-88550-1262289257_thumb.jpg

Why should you or the cops take away that families rite to drive that way ??

I love seeing the families packed onto the bikes, also the guys that drive around with 5 bottles of propane on the back, and of course the guys riding on the jet skis that are in tow.

what was your wife doing driving with a four year old child on a motorbike?

I see they have set up in readiness in Bophut, at the traffic lights. I asked in the Cooler Bar thinking it was about helmets but he said no, it's for drink driving over the new year.

Knowing what I'm like on the piss, I say it will be taxi time tonight! :D

They have been there for years and ive never seen them stop anybody!!!

I was told they are just watching???

We came of a moped right in front of them and all they did was laugh!!!

I was in Samui back in October - on my click with helmet at one in the morning - got stopped at a checkpoint set up at the Bophut lights

I thought I'm in for it now - was asked ' where are you going' I said ' to a club' answered with ' have a nice evening'

Impressed by how polite they were

See what happens in February when I come back!

I think he also said if you're that pissed the cops just tell you to sit over there, on a chair under the tarp.

Too pissed to remember. :)

what I also find outrageous is your wife driving a motorbike with your 4 years old .... THIS IS TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE ... your child should be taken from your custody by social services if there were any in Thailand

The chance would be a fine thing!! :)

Going to get me some beer!!

I don't see the problem of having a child on a motorbike, it's not illegal even in the UK I don't think.

I knew some idiot would quote that, that's why I wrote it.

Happy new year fool!!

At 5pm saw a pretty sloshed thai lady driving a bike

and a clearly bombed euro drunk on back in Chaweng,

he's yelling go, go, and she's driving in loops, and just missed 2 on coming cars...

Not even after 6 pm. stinking to the gills.

And yet I drove through 3 slow down police barriars areas between 5 pm and 1am and

nary a look my way, even at 12:45 AM. no increase in functional methods.

The only times I get actually stopped is when they are looking for yaba shipments

and can't see in my windowless covered truck until I stop,

soon as they see me, a non-Thai adult, with window down I get waved on.

Edited by animatic

Going to get me some beer!!

I don't see the problem of having a child on a motorbike, it's not illegal even in the UK I don't think.

I knew some idiot would quote that, that's why I wrote it.

Happy new year fool!!

1. this is not the u.k. and neither is the standard of driving the same as back home.

2. open your eyes, watch the news , read a newspaper ever. how long have you been in thailand? you never see the countless amount of road fatalities in this country every day. let alone new year or songkran.

3. obviously beer is more important to you than the well being of your 4 year old daughter (i too am a father of a thai born 6 month old baby girl) didnt just get off the last plane to bangkok.

happy new year. wake up and smell the smoke coming from the nearest thai buddist temple!

Transam

Tigerfish must really like you. User with 3 posts, 2 of them used for attacking you for no reason.........

Actually, I think tigerfish is right, Yes yes I know this is Thailand, but really as you all claim to "know" Thailand, then maybe you should be a little wary of driving on a motorbike with a 4 year old kid around christmas/new year. I see guys all the time who can barely stand get into cars and drive off. I wouldnt let my wife or daughter drive around on a motorbike at ths time of year, just look at the stats, over 80% of accidents involve motorbikes here and the primary cause is Alcohol.

Transam

Tigerfish must really like you. User with 3 posts, 2 of them used for attacking you for no reason.........

Actually, I think tigerfish is right, Yes yes I know this is Thailand, but really as you all claim to "know" Thailand, then maybe you should be a little wary of driving on a motorbike with a 4 year old kid around christmas/new year. I see guys all the time who can barely stand get into cars and drive off. I wouldnt let my wife or daughter drive around on a motorbike at ths time of year, just look at the stats, over 80% of accidents involve motorbikes here and the primary cause is Alcohol.

What do you suggest? Shall we all stay at home unless we have an armoured truck?

People often quote numbers of the high # of inmates in US prisons as proof that the US is full of dangerous people. There are probably no higher % of Americans who are breaking the law than the % of other countries, ....arguably a lot less.

I mention that because it relates to the story of the 4-year-old with her mom story, and the sloppy drunk driver of a car - who was stopped, tested and let go by Thai cops. Of course the cops should have slapped cuffs on him and hauled him away at that instant. By not doing so, they're enabling him to switch back to the drivers seat a block later and/or be satisfied in the knowledge that the law can't touch him no matter how imbecilic he becomes.

The so-called 'crackdown' is as solid as a piece of wet toilet paper. Thai jails have less inmates on a % basis than American jails because Thai law enforcement is subjective to a fault. VIP's can never be jailed, and everyone else, other than those on the lowest rungs of the social ladder can barter they way out of trouble. Meanwhile, Thailand averages over 30 people killed on each normal day, and over 45 on each bleeding holiday.

P.s. I vote for no subsidized medical care for alcoholics. By their own admission it's self-induced, so why should decent people (who choose not to toxify themselves) have to pay for the stupids among us?

Transam

The bloke is a plonker :)

oh i am deeply hurt, del boy! or should it be rodney. no, no wait a minute ive got it, its TRIGGER wright. just about sums you up!

Transam

The bloke is a plonker :)

oh i am deeply hurt, del boy! or should it be rodney. no, no wait a minute ive got it, its TRIGGER wright. just about sums you up!

You can call me what ever name you like, doesn't bother me, what bothers me is people like you who come to Thailand with no idea how the country works. Stand back, look around you, see how Thais live and how their day to day life works. If you have a problem with it, GO HOME (Tosser), sorry about that forum but it was the first thing that came into my head for him . :D

I know how it works when it comes do drink driving. You can actually enjoy a beer or 2 with people in a car on a long drive without worry of being thrown in jail for the night. There is such a thing as responsible drink driving.That is what I like about Thailand.

My friend living in Patong drives a motorbike through police checkpoints "drink driving" on a regular basis. He is so drunk that he can barely stand to get the license from under his seat. As long as he has a helmet on and has his ID, they let him go without a word. This is routine.

Tell your friend he is not very smart

If he does it often I do not care about him

but what if he injures someone else

Your friend is a wanke_r!!!

^^ mods on holiday? :)

I am not trolling, did you see the pics ? Have 2 or 3 beer does not put you over the legal limit.

It depends. Small or large beers? Body weight, gender, race and if you have eaten before drinking can also have an influence. Example: farang guy weighting 100 kilos, who has eaten before, can drink much more than an Asian girl weighting 40 kilos who hasn't eaten (before reaching 0.5 limit)

Edited by Brunus