Virus

ZOVOX

My computer recently showed signs of a virus, despite having all the Mcafee firewalls and anti-virus software running: First, my DVD drive thought it was a hard disk and does not function, and then my computer would shutdown anytime i try to run a virus or spyware scan. I was convinced i had a virus, so i wiped my hard drive and did a complete system restore, but the symptoms are still there. Firstly, can a virus survive a system restore ? Secondly, what else can i do to get rid of this ###### thing ?

Any suggestions most welcome !

so i wiped my hard drive and did a complete system restore

How did you wipe the drive ? where did you restore from ? did you mean you reformated the hard drive and did a clean reinstal of the OS from an original CD ?

if not then it's very possible for a virus to still be with you.

Maybe you have some faulty hardware, first suspect being your DVD drive.

so i wiped my hard drive and did a complete system restore

How did you wipe the drive ? where did you restore from ? did you mean you reformated the hard drive and did a clean reinstal of the OS from an original CD ?

if not then it's very possible for a virus to still be with you.

Maybe you have some faulty hardware, first suspect being your DVD drive.

My compaq laptop comes with restore discs that reinstalls windows, removes all partitons and formats the hard drive, which i assumed would clear everything from the drive. I managed to execute the restore discs from my external usb drive, because i found an option in the bios to boot from a usb drive - very useful !! I am willing to believe the dvd drive is faulty, but the inability to run various anti-virus software to completion has me baffled. I am told that many viruses disables anti-virus software, which is why i think i have a virus. I have checked my hard-drive and everything is ok. In fact, my computer is working fine because i am able to use my external cd drive, except for the inability to run my anti-virus software. Is it possible that a virus copies itself into the bios or flash memory on hardware components ?

......Is it possible that a virus copies itself into the bios or flash memory on hardware components ?

Yes, while rare, it is possible to have a BIOS virus wherein the CMOS settings are changed. Some bios virus have the capability of "chopping" themselves into small pieces of code, so as to fit into very small memory areas, but still run nornally. However, a good AV utility should be able to locate/eliminate same. Recommend you run several of the free online virus checkers listed here.

As you probably know, the BIOS is stored in a ROM chip on your computers motherboard. In newer computers, this BIOS is on a "flash ROM" chip. During the startup process, your computer copies the BIOS from ROM to RAM, as RAM is faster then ROM.

The BIOS runs a diagnostic test or POST (Power On Self Test) of the keyboard, drives, ports, chips, and all other components in the system to make sure they are working correctly. On completion of the tests, the computer will normally give you one "long" beep, to indicate everything was OK. (A series of short, or long-and-short beeps, may indicate errors were found and should be investigated.) Additionally, errors found are usually displayed on the screen. That information is often hidden behind a manufacturers "wallpaper", so check you user manual for details on how to view this data. (On many systems, pressing the TAB or ESC buttons will close the "wallpaper" and allow you to see the RAM count and test results.)

Another area to consider is the BIOS itself. It could be damaged or may need to be updated. Check your manufacturers or the BIOS makers website for details. (You'll probably need the BIOS make/model info, which is also usually displayed during the aforementioned diagnostic test.)

If your restore disks are the original manufacturer supplied disks, and not copies or backups, the OS restoration itself, which you say included a full reformat of all partitions, should be virus free.

You might also try the following. Check your owners manual to see if the CMOS memory is retained by the main battery or if there is a seperate battery, such as used by most desktops. If the memory is held by the main battery alone, remove the battery and let the laptop sit overnight. (Naturally, do not plug in any external AC/DC supply.)

Have you tried booting into "Safe Mode"? If so, do things appear normal?

Antivirus, firewalls, and many other "utilities" can and often fight with each other causing untold problems. A simple (but sometimes lengthy) test would be to stop all tasks running in the background, except Explorer, by unchecking them in the RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP window. (See MS Help for more details.) Then restore one-at-a-time until symptoms reappear. That should give you a hint as to where the problem may lay.

Post back your findings.

cheers :o