Whats Missing From Samui

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A huge protected ecological zone with wildlife, which used to live here before tourism came with educational walking trails and places for relaxation.

Any white herons still going to and from work in Bangrak? There used to be thousands of them. :)

A public library would be great.

I hated the arrival of the chain stores and fast food shops. Wet market, local grocery and bars/restaurants were fine by me. Knew the hours and shopped accordingly. We lamented the day the first 7-11 opened in Maenam. We still kept shopping at Gai's Pharmacy & Grocery. She's the best.

Late-night ferries -- scary enough in the daytime when the seas are rough.

decent, regulated public transport

or just a taxi service that isn't a complete rip off. think about it is you get on a motor bike taxi from almui to chaweng. they have charged me up to 300 baht. i can rent a better motor bike than the taxi drivers for 200 or 150. sometimes think their greed will be there un doing,.

in bangkok i have been charged as litlle as 10 baht for a bike taxi. no wonder there are always busy and not drinking and playing cards on the side of the road.

I will tell you for sure what this island needs, and it would flourish as a result (not necessarily this order)

1.New building regulation for developments over a certain size..there are monstrosities being thrown up, and buyers being ripped off due to scams

2. Better traffic regulation, cut the accident rate and on the spot fines for reckless drivers...more traffic lights at major junctions.. (hard to enforce with the corrupt police, but not impossible)

3. A theme / water park (what ever happened to water wall?)..theres little to do on the island for a day out, other than beach and the elephant treks or diving/ fishing which isnt everybodys taste)..maybe even a proper raquet/ sports club.

4. The main event...The airport..Bangkok Airways have strangled the influx of passengers with their price fixing policy, and a fat lot of good the allowing of 2 Thai flights per day from Bkk did...the price never altered...amazing that you can fly to phuket from Bkk or Udon for about a third the price of BKK/USM......with Phuket getting so much bad press these days, and Pattaya a rip off, overcrowded and nowhere near as beautiful as Samui, I believe a budget airline flight to Samui would bring in many more punters and revenues and boost the tourism sector on the island...we have the hotels the resorts and the beaches to cope..The airport does not need all this fancyness about it, and the pathetic in flight meal on board flights..CUT THE COSTS

5 Taxi meters..regulate this mini mafia... why not use LPG rather than petrol?...enforced use of meters calibrated to a rate that is fair and reasonable...none of this rip off charging by the person, and 300bt to go just a few km's...regulate the numbers licenced and they would all make a decent living, rather than driving through resorts tail gating each other all day blasting their horns then having to rip tourists off cos they arent getting enough fares to cover their outgoings.

6 Road blocks targeting the unroadworthy vehicles that chug out plooms of black smoke...theyd soon get the message with a few fines (again a problem with corrupt police, but workable)

7. A tidying up of the horrendously ugly telegraph pole and cabling infastructure on the island...Install service ducts at ground level, and do away with the spiders webs that blight the skyline.

8. Tidy up and widen the sidewalks in resorts, and fine street hawkers for encroachment...with so many tourists and pushchairs etc, its a battlefield to walk down the street through resorts like Chaweng and Lamai.

In short..this island could be a jewel in the crown for Thailands tourist sector, but instead, as usual, greed and corruption of a few, will eventually leave this island as a concrete jungle, being over developed with poor infastructure and a culture of ripping off at every opportunity

I will tell you for sure what this island needs, and it would flourish as a result (not necessarily this order)

3. A theme / water park (what ever happened to water wall?)..theres little to do on the island for a day out, other than beach and the elephant treks or diving/ fishing which isnt everybodys taste)..maybe even a proper raquet/ sports club.

what about an indoor skiing and ski jumping hall?

Me! Lived there for a couple of years but left for good when the whole island started "Going to the Dogs" about eight years ago! A visit there two years ago confirmed my decision. What a terrible slide down in all respects it has taken.

Me! Lived there for a couple of years but left for good when the whole island started "Going to the Dogs" about eight years ago! A visit there two years ago confirmed my decision. What a terrible slide down in all respects it has taken.

Happy you left. I hate whingers...................

Happy you left. I hate whingers...................

wheres the whinge PEP just giving his/her opinion, called freedom of speech.

Edited by NALAK

Mcdonalds

Starbucks

Major Cineplex

Tesco, Makro, Big C

Bowling

Spas

Airport

Internet

Cable

Slowly but surely improving road

Car dealerships

Hospitals

Bar girls

Restaurants

Apartments

Apart from a couple of local restaurants and a hospital, none of those were there 20 years ago. It was nice then! :)

1.New building regulation for developments over a certain size..there are monstrosities being thrown up, and buyers being ripped off due to scams

2. Better traffic regulation, cut the accident rate and on the spot fines for reckless drivers...more traffic lights at major junctions.. (hard to enforce with the corrupt police, but not impossible)

4. The main event...The airport..Bangkok Airways have strangled the influx of passengers with their price fixing policy, and a fat lot of good the allowing of 2 Thai flights per day from Bkk did...the price never altered...amazing that you can fly to phuket from Bkk or Udon for about a third the price of BKK/USM......with Phuket getting so much bad press these days, and Pattaya a rip off, overcrowded and nowhere near as beautiful as Samui, I believe a budget airline flight to Samui would bring in many more punters and revenues and boost the tourism sector on the island...we have the hotels the resorts and the beaches to cope..The airport does not need all this fancyness about it, and the pathetic in flight meal on board flights..CUT THE COSTS

5 Taxi meters..regulate this mini mafia... why not use LPG rather than petrol?...enforced use of meters calibrated to a rate that is fair and reasonable...none of this rip off charging by the person, and 300bt to go just a few km's...regulate the numbers licenced and they would all make a decent living, rather than driving through resorts tail gating each other all day blasting their horns then having to rip tourists off cos they arent getting enough fares to cover their outgoings.

6 Road blocks targeting the unroadworthy vehicles that chug out plooms of black smoke...theyd soon get the message with a few fines (again a problem with corrupt police, but workable)

7. A tidying up of the horrendously ugly telegraph pole and cabling infastructure on the island...Install service ducts at ground level, and do away with the spiders webs that blight the skyline.

8. Tidy up and widen the sidewalks in resorts, and fine street hawkers for encroachment...with so many tourists and pushchairs etc, its a battlefield to walk down the street through resorts like Chaweng and Lamai.

In short..this island could be a jewel in the crown for Thailands tourist sector, but instead, as usual, greed and corruption of a few, will eventually leave this island as a concrete jungle, being over developed with poor infastructure and a culture of ripping off at every opportunity

"There's little to do on the island...." Use your head couch potatoe ! Buy or hire a mountain bike and explore the hundreds of coconut trails on the island. Rent a long tail and explore and snorkel on Koh Mud Sum. Take the boat and swim on Koh Som. Spend the day on Koh Taen, hire a 4WD and explore the mountain off road trails and so on and on. A theme waterpark on and island ? are you kidding ? Can understand having a park in Dubai or Kalgoorlie. What morons do we have on this island ? Suggest you move to "Plastic Pattaya"

I have to agree with all your points......................think 'll be off to Chang Mai then!!!

"There's little to do on the island...." Use your head couch potatoe ! Buy or hire a mountain bike and explore the hundreds of coconut trails on the island. Rent a long tail and explore and snorkel on Koh Mud Sum. Take the boat and swim on Koh Som. Spend the day on Koh Taen, hire a 4WD and explore the mountain off road trails and so on and on. A theme waterpark on and island ? are you kidding ? Can understand having a park in Dubai or Kalgoorlie. What morons do we have on this island ? Suggest you move to "Plastic Pattaya"

Ive been to Pattaya and its the Benidorm of Thailand..so you dont like 1 of my suggestions..big deal, i dont particularly fancy too many of yours..i have lived on the island almost 6 years, and i was looking at things that would make the place more attractive to holidaymakers coming here for their 2 weeks in the sun...people with kids etc, that dont want to be trapsing around jungle paths, or on some dodgy boat with 20 people and 2 life vests...water parks are popular with tourists and kids alike, i personally think it would be a viable business, and something the island hasnt got..therefore, another option.

Ive been to Pattaya and its the Benidorm of Thailand..so you dont like 1 of my suggestions..big deal, i dont particularly fancy too many of yours..i have lived on the island almost 6 years, and i was looking at things that would make the place more attractive to holidaymakers coming here for their 2 weeks in the sun...people with kids etc, that dont want to be trapsing around jungle paths, or on some dodgy boat with 20 people and 2 life vests...water parks are popular with tourists and kids alike, i personally think it would be a viable business, and something the island hasnt got..therefore, another option.

A Water park on Samui? You have to be joking. :D Let's make Samui like Benidorm or Pattaya! NOT. :)

There's not enough water on the island for everyone to take a shower, let alone nonsense like this....

Edited by screamingeagle

I would like a waterpark in Samui.

:) Well go swim in the Na Muang waterfall, there's actually a natural rock bench behind the cascade to sit and have a bloody mary and if you want a slide, Wanorn waterfall has a natural rock waterslide and splash pools for chrissake !

I would like a waterpark in Samui.

:) Well go swim in the Na Muang waterfall, there's actually a natural rock bench behind the cascade to sit and have a bloody mary and if you want a slide, Wanorn waterfall has a natural rock waterslide and splash pools for chrissake !

Good idea and no environmental impact!!!!

reviewing this post again, I come to the conclusion that Samui got it all,

much more then enough, only there are people who always whinge and

complain, no matter what, searching for shortcomings because they are happy when miserable....

professional loser & suckers!

reviewing this post again, I come to the conclusion that Samui got it all,

much more then enough, only there are people who always whinge and

complain, no matter what, searching for shortcomings because they are happy when miserable....

professional loser & suckers!

I see very little whinging on this thread. Generally people have either joked or made constructive comments. There is ofcourse an element of expats here that take huge offence to anyone suggesting that the island isn't perfect. Nowhere's perfect as most people realise, and just because people make suggestions of improvements does not make them whingers, purely realists. Furthermore, they are more likely to be the one's that help bring improvements by putting forward suggestions rather than sitting back pretending everything is perfect.

What`s should be introduced is daylight savings. It´s getting dark way to early, especially as it goes som much faster than up in Europe.

Some other tourist islands have introduced that locally.

Didn't know it was April 1st!!! :)

Maybe we can have a full moon party every week. Seems to bring the tourists in! :D