Did Your Xmas Gift Arrive?

coolxten

Was wondering how many of you sent gifts back home (to North America) this xmas. I sent my on Dec 19th to Montreal, Quebec....i know, not a lot of time before xmas. I didn't expect it to arrive on time. It's now Jan 1, it still hasn't arrived. I know it can take 30 days, but wanted to see what others experienced this xmas.

If you sent a package in December (09) ...... Where, When and how many days did it take?

Also, there was a bit of a miscommunication at the post office. I was asking for a declaration sticker, but instead the guy charged me something that cost 55 bhat extra. Is that the cost of tracking? Tried to use the tracking number but it didn't look exactly like the instructions, and the result was not found. The number I tried began with "RE 9 digits TH". Does anyone know what I was charged for?

I had the same problem with a packet sent to Australia. It did not arrive and I was unable to track it on line. Upon returning to the post office I was told that it could take up to two months for them to track it or I could pay 600 baht for the express service. I declined this kind offer so , two months later, am still waiting for the reply. In the meantime the packet actually arrived!

I sent a parcel to the UK on the 17th via registered mail, around 500baht, and it arrived on the 22nd so was well impressed with the service from the Hang Dong Post Office, will defo send parcels again.

That's fast but a different cookie than the OP's destination.

BKK has many direct flights to the UK whilst a package from BKK to a destination in North America has to go via several hubs.

Lately my wife has quite a bit of experience with these kind of shipments from her business (in this case from China and Hong Kong) and most packages take between 20-30 working days but the December Holiday season can even be worse although most arrive within that period.

Asian countries have to send millions of packages during the Holidays whilst the airfreight capacity is limited.

2 weeks before Xmas the Hong Kong Post department sent out a message telling that they couldn't handle their own promises anymore and most shipments were due to be later than normal.

If one has to ship fast better use a courier (if it's worth the content).

LaoPo

I had the same problem with a packet sent to Australia. It did not arrive and I was unable to track it on line. Upon returning to the post office I was told that it could take up to two months for them to track it or I could pay 600 baht for the express service. I declined this kind offer so , two months later, am still waiting for the reply. In the meantime the packet actually arrived!

Inquires normally take 2-3 months, but they do follow up on them eventually. If your package arrives in the meantime, you should inform the post office so they don't waste limited resources looking for it. Also worth noting is that registered airmail includes a limited amount of insurance. Around 1000 baht if I remember correctly.

That's fast but a different cookie than the OP's destination.

BKK has many direct flights to the UK whilst a package from BKK to a destination in North America has to go via several hubs.

Lately my wife has quite a bit of experience with these kind of shipments from her business (in this case from China and Hong Kong) and most packages take between 20-30 working days but the December Holiday season can even be worse although most arrive within that period.

Asian countries have to send millions of packages during the Holidays whilst the airfreight capacity is limited.

2 weeks before Xmas the Hong Kong Post department sent out a message telling that they couldn't handle their own promises anymore and most shipments were due to be later than normal.

If one has to ship fast better use a courier (if it's worth the content).

LaoPo

EMS is fast, secure, and more economical than the courriers. Something like 8000 baht insurance is included. I regularly ship worldwide by registered airmail. The USA seems to take the longest. Usually 3 weeks, but sometimes as long as 5 weeks. Australia, UK, and the EU are quite speedy.

I use EMS (Thai Post Express Mail Service).

Sorry, FedEx, DHL, TNT, UPS.

Tracking, 1/2 to 1/3rd the price of the above mentioned.

I've sent stuff to west coast USA; average transit time about 5-7 days.

But I'm not a professional exporter/shipper, just someone who occasionally mails a package.

If you want to do this bigtime, check out the many pro freight expediters here in CM. Citylife Magazine has many ads from these guys- ship heavy teak furniture to Finland....no problem. Or whatever, to anywhere.

Of course not. This is Thailand. Anything sent through the mail has a 75% chance of going missing, and especially if it is sent to or comes from North America.

I have shipped over 500 parcels worldwide from Thailand in the past year. Only one disappeared. It went missing in the USA, not Thailand. So, in my cae anyway, your 75% doesn't apply.

Of course not. This is Thailand. Anything sent through the mail has a 75% chance of going missing, and especially if it is sent to or comes from North America.

I have shipped over 500 parcels worldwide from Thailand in the past year. Only one disappeared. It went missing in the USA, not Thailand. So, in my cae anyway, your 75% doesn't apply.

I agree..never ever had a problem with the Thai post. Excellent service so far.