Where To Buy New And Empty Gas Bottle

octabrain

Hi,

I'm looking for an empty and new propane gas bottle. I checked some of the small gas shops in the area where I live, but they only had empty ones that have been used already or new ones that were filled already.

So does anyone know where to get an empty and new one in Bangkok?

Thanks for your answers

Bengt

First time in one of the shop you buy a new bottle plus refill.

When it is empty you bring your bottle back to them and paid for refill, the next day you will get a full bottle, but rarely i get the same as the original i left

to get a empty one must be possible i presum

Ah, so as you will be taking a grinder to it I wouldn't trust any gas shop in Thailand even if they swore on their mother's grave that's it's new! You could try a tank manufacturer, typing 'propane tank manufacturers thailand' into google brings up a few hits on the business directory type pages, good luck!

Like anything else on the internet, any author is forced to write instructions for lowest common denominator of idiot.

Saying "only use a new tank" is alot simpler than trying to explain physics to many people.

Still, you can easily render any propane tank safe for this task. Simply connect it to your stove, open all the valves full, light a fire and wait for the flame to go out. Then, disconnect the regulator from the tank, so all you have left is the tank and the screw valve on top that you use to open and close it. Notice that the valve connects to the tank with a threaded adapter, and you can usually see a white teflon plumbers tape there. With this valve fully open, get a big pipe wrench and simply remove this valve completely from the tank. You should now have a propane tank exposed to the atmosphere.

Fill the tank all the way to the top with soapy water, let it sit for a few minutes, and then empty it. Fill the tank again with rinse water, let it sit for a few minutes, and then empty it. Let it sit out for a day in the sun with the open hole pointed down so all the water and any gas or liquids are evaporated.

Any smell left in the tank at this point is mercaptan. It is harmless, but pungent, and you may not want your drums smelling like rotting vegetables. To fix this, build a small bonfire and place the tank in the flame. Leave the tank in the flame for about 6 hours. All the trace organic molecules as well as the paint and other residues will be burned away by this process. You'll be left with a blackened mass of metal in the shape of a propane tank.

At this point, cut the tank in half using any saw, torch, high energy or tactical nuclear weapon you so desire. You won't even get so much as a "poof" from it. Nothing flammable could have survived what you just put it through.

Sand down the blackened tank to the bare metal, cut your drum the way you like, and then repaint. A little more work than just buying a new tank, but if you can't find a new one, then this is a reasonable option.