Lensman Captures Colours Of A Conflict

elcent

German freelance photographer Nick Nostitz is no stranger to either the red-shirt or the yellow-shirt political rallies. In fact, he stands out as having the most detailed photographic records of Thai political turmoil over the past few years and his 160-page photo book "Red VS Yellow, Volume 1: Thailand's Crisis of Identity", published earlier this year by White Lotus, is testimony to that.

It contains disturbing images, such as the funeral of a slain Chiang Mai-based member of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) with his young daughter wailing at her father's side, as well as pictures of the red shirts' adulation of their leaders such as the now fugitive Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD) leader Jakraphob Penkae.

Nostitz is no quiet photojournalist either and can easily get vocal when the topic of Thai politics is on the table.

"The PAD is a violent organisation," said Nostitz. "I have photos of them showing violence. Definitely both [the PAD and DAAD] have strong potential for violence. No doubt about that."

The comparison continues as Nostitz passed on the verdict that the DAAD, from his observations, is "a complete amateur" against the PAD's "professionalism".

The German photojournalist is not shy about predicting the Thai political future as well. More political messes are to be expected in the short term but he added, "I believe Thailand is ready for proper democracy."

The path to becoming a proper democracy is hazy even to Nostitz, however, as he admits that there are so many factors involved. Among them, he said, are where the PAD political party will head to, how factions in the military will react to future political turmoil, as some young officers appear to be "p***ed at both sides", and more.

Most foreign correspondents are branded as pro-red shirts these days, and Nostitz is no exception.

Nostitz defended himself by saying such a characterisation is "completely unfair", adding that whatever sympathy he may have for the reds is strictly non-ideological, but a result of having observed their struggle.

"People have to have empathy for the [rural] villagers [who supported ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra]. They know that Thaksin is a faulty person but the fact of life is that Thaksin has improved their lives more than any political party in the past and the present," Nostitz, who married a rural Thai woman and is fluent in Thai, argued.

Nostitz, who has worked and lived in Thailand since 1993, added that he has also included "potentially damaging pictures of the reds because it's the truth".

Despite his vehement denial, a Swedish man who is a big supporter of the PAD accused Nostitz of using dirty tactics by trying to have PAD guards attack him by misleading the guards into believing that he was the pro-red-shirt photographer instead of the German - a charge that Nostitz has denied.

Nostitz said some Europeans in Thailand are nostalgic for a strong monarchy system, something they lost in their home countries, and so became obsessed with the PAD's ultra-royalist stance.

Nostitz, who admitted feeling somewhat unsafe at yellow-shirt rallies, turned the tables around and said he thinks editors at Thai mainstream media are "too chummy with the PAD".

He insisted that the notion that Western journalists are anti-PAD is "rubbish" and gave the PAD some credit when pressed to say something "nice" about the yellow-shirt alliance.

He said some PAD members have a genuine desire to see Thailand improve and that some of their analyses of the problem "are right".

As for the red shirts, he warned that the April riots were a lesson and that it is a "dangerous situation" when "lots of common people are very angry".

Though Nostitz said he had won some respect from PAD supporters and at least one had told him he is unlikely to be working on the secret payroll of Thaksin, it is still too premature to conclude whether such statements will guarantee his future safety as he continues photographing the PAD in action.

Nostitz did not indicate that he would stop anytime soon, as he continues to visit both red- and yellow-shirt rallies.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation January 3, 2010

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

WHY WOULD THE NATION POST THIS? GUESS WHAT?

THIS IS A COMMON PRACTICE TO SAVE ONES LIFE WHEN TOUCHING THE UNTOUCHABLE. A COVERAGE IN BKKPOST WOULD BE RECOMMENDED AS WELL.

I KNOW NICK FROM THE TIME WHEN HE FIRST ARRIVED HERE. HAVEN'T SEEN HIM FOR YEARS. HE COMES FROM A GOOD FAMILY, HIS FATHER WAS DIRECTOR FROM KRUPP AND ONE OF HIS COUSINS WAS CANADIAN AMBASSADOR HERE IN THAILAND.

I CAN ASSURE EVERYBODY THAT NICK HAS NO BAD INTENTIONS OF ANY SORTS. ACTUALLY HE'S QUITE A NICE BLOKE. HE JUST DID WHAT HIS INNER CALL TOLD HIM TO DO.

GOOD LUCK NICK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

As I read it, and being just an amateur, he is looking at Thailand through German tinted spectacles.

And really, there is nothing against that outlook on life, if you are a German.

He tries to convene the self-image of being a a man with a helicopter view, but he is not!

He is typical German, and I mean no offense, longing for a strong leader, strong authority.

Whatever he says, his "love"is the reds, not the yellows, and not in between.

And being a member of the Krupp family is not really a pre!

Most certainly not if a member of the Krupp dynasty is favouring the poor!

Strong leadership, from whatever side, of any country, is something to be very careful of.

And Krupp was and is most certainly in favour of strong leadership using the masses to reach the ultimate goal.

The best government for any country, but also the most difficult, is a coalition.

Edited by hansnl

THIS IS A COMMON PRACTICE TO SAVE ONES LIFE WHEN TOUCHING THE UNTOUCHABLE. A COVERAGE IN BKKPOST WOULD BE RECOMMENDED AS WELL.

I KNOW NICK FROM THE TIME WHEN HE FIRST ARRIVED HERE. HAVEN'T SEEN HIM FOR YEARS. HE COMES FROM A GOOD FAMILY, HIS FATHER WAS DIRECTOR FROM KRUPP AND ONE OF HIS COUSINS WAS CANADIAN AMBASSADOR HERE IN THAILAND.

I CAN ASSURE EVERYBODY THAT NICK HAS NO BAD INTENTIONS OF ANY SORTS. ACTUALLY HE'S QUITE A NICE BLOKE. HE JUST DID WHAT HIS INNER CALL TOLD HIM TO DO.

Thank you "elcent" - i wonder who of my disreputable friends you may be... :D

Actually, i would not worry that much about my safety, this was just a delayed book review/story on me. Chris Baker has already written a very nice review of my book in the Bangkok Post several months ago. Already my coverage of the various Red/Yellow events at New Mandala has assured me a rather high profile, lots of critics, and lots of supporters as well. By the way, my dad was not a director at Krupp, but worked at a different German company. Good family yes, unfortunately the money is gone.

:)

As I read it, and being just an amateur, he is looking at Thailand through German tinted spectacles.

And really, there is nothing against that outlook on life, if you are a German.

He tries to convene the self-image of being a a man with a helicopter view, but he is not!

He is typical German, and I mean no offense, longing for a strong leader, strong authority.

Whatever he says, his "love"is the reds, not the yellows, and not in between.

And being a member of the Krupp family is not really a pre!

Most certainly not if a member of the Krupp dynasty is favouring the poor!

Strong leadership, from whatever side, of any country, is something to be very careful of.

And Krupp was and is most certainly in favour of strong leadership using the masses to reach the ultimate goal.

The best government for any country, but also the most difficult, is a coalition.

First of all - i am not a member of the Krupp family - I am a "Freiherr von Nostitz". Which isn't really important anymore as we live, at least in Europe, in an age of equal opportunities. I just dropped the "Freiherr" in my pen name because people outside Germany usually get it all garbled up.

Secondly, i don't know where you get the idea that i would possibly be "longing for a strong leader, strong authority".

Because i don't.

anyway, I was asked today by a Muslim of what my predictions would be for the new decade.

that's what I answered

Tumultuous but not for too long. Censorship of the Quran. Hundreds of millions of people will depart from Islam. Victory over terrorism. New political attitudes towards more responsibility worldwide, or freedom with responsibility. Less influence from current power structures. NGOs will have more say. Last but not least the end of Newspapers and dramatical increase of online Citizen Journalism.

Thank you "elcent" - i wonder who of my disreputable friends you may be... :D

Actually, i would not worry that much about my safety, this was just a delayed book review/story on me. Chris Baker has already written a very nice review of my book in the Bangkok Post several months ago. Already my coverage of the various Red/Yellow events at New Mandala has assured me a rather high profile, lots of critics, and lots of supporters as well. By the way, my dad was not a director at Krupp, but worked at a different German company. Good family yes, unfortunately the money is gone.

:)

As a photographer and writer, you should report what you see and leave your personal feelings out of it.

Anytime feelings get involved the total picture can be slanted in that direction just as you have appeared to have done with your book.

The last thing Thailand needs is for farangs to get involved in their politics and to be conceived as causing trouble to one side or the other

I take this as a kick on your part to make money out of this political mess, not to tell a true story like people writing books about Iraq or Afganistan have done

In the end its all about the money isn't it Nick?

Found a topic you could final sell a publisher on because as a Freelancer, we all know you were not making much here were you and by your own claim no family money?

It you get deported, I think would be a good step for the Thai government to teach farangs a lesson to stay out of their politics and not try to make money from it.

You are directly a mold of the red shirts, where making money at any cost is ok, no matter the damage caused.

You have zero experience working with the government or even a clue what goes on in Thai politics on the inside.

Taking photos and slanting a story doesn't qualify you as anything in my opinion

If I worked for the government I would do a thorough review of your visas, taxes, work permits etc. from 1993 to now to see just how legal you are to be doing what you are doing.

We do not need farangs causing trouble on either side of this political conflict and what makes it worse is you do this for money.

If you think you will ever be accepted by either side you don't know much about Thailand

You will never be more than an outsider causing trouble and in the end I am afraid this will be your downfall

Take some lessons from all the writers, reporters and journalists killed all over the world every year.

No one is your friend in the middle of a conflict that doesn't concern you

That is my opinion and my opinion alone.

If any one disagrees dont waste your time flaming, write your own opinions of what is on your OWN MIND

You are directly a mold of the red shirts, where making money at any cost is ok, no matter the damage caused.

If any one disagrees dont waste your time flaming, write your own opinions of what is on your OWN MIND

Many points taken but not all.

First of all and to understand his opinion, Nick traveled in Isan areas when no other foreigners were around and to see the situation there. It was, and in some parts still is beyond imagination, bad for the locals. This is maybe something Nick could explain better. But this doesn't make him a red, that's for sure.

At the other hand, we haven't seen much from the rest of the remaining colors of the rainbow to do something about it.

Edited by elcent

If you think you will ever be accepted by either side you don't know much about Thailand

You will never be more than an outsider causing trouble and in the end I am afraid this will be your downfall

Take some lessons from all the writers, reporters and journalists killed all over the world every year.

No one is your friend in the middle of a conflict that doesn't concern you

That is my opinion and my opinion alone.

I take it that you are not a supporter of my work. :)

Briefly - i am perfectly legal here. I am properly accredited, i have a press card issued by the public relations department, i have been investigated and cleared, also and especially in terms of my reporting on the present red/yellow conflict.

And no - it is not "all about the money". A book like this does not make much money, it doesn't even pay running bills. The west is not very interested in the conflict here, and i only get assignments the few times it is big enough to make it into the big western papers. That was only during Oct. 7, the airport occupation (for two days until the bombay shooters took over the headlines), and for two days during the Songkran riots. My articles at New Mandala i do for free, i am not paid for those. It is very difficult to make a living for me, to make ends meet, and to keep financing my work, i even take jobs as fixer and translator for big networks, something i would never have considered before.

I hope though you at least acknowledge that photojournalists also should get paid, as we also have families to provide for.

My own mind - i have been obsessed and fascinated with the conflict since it started late 2005. I still am. It has been a steep learing curve for me, and it has indeed brought me into contact with many people in government, armed forces, academics, etc. There are people who do not like me, as you seem to, but i have made many friends as well, through whom i have been able to learn more than i ever thought i could.

And frankly, i do not much care for your barely disguised threat that i may get killed.

Nick, the threat was mentioned in the article first, you even admitted of feeling unsafe when around PAD. It just confirms that it is dangerous, or has it changed?

The article was written long before 2010 as you can see when read published earlier this year by White Lotus, is testimony to that ... in the first paragraph.

Is/was the article a kind of filling a gap or setup for something dubious?

For me, the article leaves more question than answers when it comes to the purpose of publishing it. - Under 'must read' and 'news' it is definitely misplaced, unless something else is brewing.

Edited by elcent

Nick, the threat was mentioned in the article first, you even admitted of feeling unsafe when around PAD. It just confirms that it is dangerous, or has it changed?

The article was written long before 2010 as you can see when read published earlier this year by White Lotus, is testimony to that ... in the first paragraph.

Is/was the article a kind of filling a gap or setup for something dubious?

For me, the article leaves more question than answers when it comes to the purpose of publishing it. - Under 'must read' and 'news' it is definitely misplaced, unless something else is brewing.

Pravit interviewed me not long after the book was published, but went then to the US for a few months for a fellowship, and had no time to finish. He came back a few weeks ago, and got the article in only now. But yes, having a higher profile that i would usually want to have is one of my strategies to stay safe. I just want to continue to do my work.

But yes, there were times i felt extremely unsafe in the PAD camp. Like many other journalists i got threatened regularly, there was even a month when i was under semi-police protection. That was during the time when they occupied government house and were incredibly paranoid. 2009 things were a lot easier, in terms of personal threats. But who knows what the future might bring...

Fortunately I have many people who watch out for me, especially in the security forces, and they alert me to dangers, advise me, and watch over me, also on the ground, at times, when necessary. And i listen carefully to their advice - they are professionals, experienced and capable.

As a farang journo it is a lot easier for me than for my Thai colleagues. They get it from both sides. During the Songkran riots, for example, most of my Thai colleagues could not work anymore around the Red Shirts as the night approached, there were not more than three or four who could safely work in the red camp. Two major reasons - one was the heavily censored and biased local news coverage, and secondly that while complaing about the coverage on the stage, the red shirt leaders have not realized what effects that has on the ground, and red shirts have physically attacked Thai journalists. And before someone complains about me being biased - i have written about these attacks on my report on the Songkran riots, factually, as i have seen them.

Is there a specific connection between this tome and Thailand's Isaan region (considering the sub-forum in which this thread was started)?

No specific connection. TV is just so confusing to navigate when you want to start a thread. :)