Divorce In Los

Hi,

I've looked up and read that it's relatively easy for married couples to get a divorce in Thailand if both parties consent. I'm not sure if this this applies to couples married here or not.

My question is, if a couple who's been married in another country (Singapore in this case) wants to get a divorce in Thailand, can this be done here without much difficulty.

Husband of English nationality and a Thai wife. Both parties have been apart for years and there is really nothing to divide between them, they now have different partners and the next step for them is to officially end it. Any advise appreciated. Thanks.

what should I expect to be charged by a lawer for a divorce from my Thai wife residing in the states and myself living in Thailand (American). Spoke with one lawyer in CM and it can definatly be done, but he wanted 60,000 baht ++travel expenses to go to her home province(Nakon Sawan) and possibly BKK.

I think that's much too high, but have no idea.

Any suggestions? Or good Chiang Mai lawyers offering services at fair rates? It should be a fairly straight forward case.

Question for the divorce experts out there:

Can 2 Americans not of thai descent, married in USA for over 20 years, own no property in Thailand, get a divorce leagally in Thailand? HAd lived and worked in Thailand for a few years. One spouse still lives in Thailand while other spouse returned home to persue a more favorable divorce in USA. With the poor divorce laws in Thailand for females offering no support, does a Thai divorce with neither person being a Thai have any legality in the USA?

Open for answers

Question for the divorce experts out there:

Can 2 Americans not of thai descent, married in USA for over 20 years, own no property in Thailand, get a divorce leagally in Thailand?  HAd lived and worked in Thailand for a few  years.  One spouse still lives in Thailand while other spouse returned home to persue a more favorable divorce in USA.  With the poor divorce laws in Thailand for females offering no support, does a Thai divorce with neither person being a Thai have any legality in the USA?

Open for answers

What's key is if one of you has residency in Thailand. If one of you has, then this can be processed in Thailand.

JJ:

What constitutes one as resident of Thailand?

What would someone have to do to become a resident in Thailand?

Does living in Thailand on a temporary assignment for 2 years as an employee of a foreign company make you a resident of Thailand?

What advantages does a person have processing a divorce in Thailand?

Turok

JJ:

Does living in Thailand on a temporary assignment for 2 years as an employee of a foreign company make you a resident of Thailand? 

Turok

Turok, residency would be if as a foreigner you had a residency permit but I noticed that you also mentioned you were married in the US. If you were married outside of Thailand you can only divorce according to the laws of the country concerned.

Taking the UK as an example your wife will be entitled to exactly the same as if she were British. So it doesn't look like there's a quick win here.

• 2 months later...
JJ:

Turok

Turok, residency would be if as a foreigner you had a residency permit but I noticed that you also mentioned you were married in the US. If you were married outside of Thailand you can only divorce according to the laws of the country concerned.

I believe you can divorce according to the laws of the country of which you are a resident. If I was residing in USA and she is in Thailand, I can divorce according to USA law, even if she is in Thailand. It does not matter where we were married. However, for a USA divorce to be recognized in Thailand, some sort of paperwork would have to be filed with the Thai authorities to be recognized in Thailand. Of course this presumes both parties are agreeable. If they are not, then it is a complicated situation.

Taking the UK as an example your wife will be entitled to exactly the same as if she were British. So it doesn't look like there's a quick win here.

You can only bee divorced at an Ampoer if you are married at an Ampoer, that’s it.

If you have an overseas marriage to a Thai national, you need to go to the Family Court, and some fancy Thai lawyers may charge you 50,000 to 60,000 Baht for that service.

I know people who can do that for lesser than 20,000…

(A resident is a Thai national or an Alien with a residentship ID card. An extended visa is not residency, but extended staying only.)

Cheers, Robert