Advice On Buying And Running A Bar In Pattaya

sparky38

I have looked at other types of businesses, as I am not that naive to think that I can only buy one type of business (eg bar or guesthouse). One thing I have noticed is that Key money seems to be only asked for on businesses that are associated with tourism, is this because mostly foreigners buy these types of business and its just another way of fleecing money out of them.

As far as people generally not selling businesses that are making money, I have to differ, I find that people such as myself get tired of a certain business, and want to try something else. I had a small construction business here that made very good money, I sold it due to wanting a change and was tired of the hours. I have not worked for two years and have been travelling and sitting back thinking of what I want. Money can buy you a great lifestlye, but at the end of the day it will not buy happiness, I am looking at something that is more fullfilling. Hence the move to another country and try something different. I am not a greedy man, I have donated lots of money to charities and sponser children in third world countrys and will be bringing money over for a orphanage in Cambodia. If I was just looking to make money, I would of stayed with my business and would be sitting here with a shitload of money in the bank. But thats not a lifestyle as far as I am concerned.

We all have different opinions and values and thats what makes this world a great place. I have taken everyones advice on board that I have received on this forum and will throw it into the mix and see what comes of it, hopefully I will find something that suites me.

Steve

Some businesses that seem to be doing okay in Pattaya from what I can see:-

2nd hand bookstores

Not very many 2nd hand book stores in Thailand outside of Bangkok make any money although a lot of imbeciles who know nothing about reading or books seem to open them.

The only 2nd hand bookstore that is doing well in Pattaya is the one above Tops supermarket on Central and Beach road 2. They have pretty much cornered the market in Pattaya.

Their second branch on soi Bukeow might break even, but it is really there buy books before customers reach Jeremys and Swan Bookshop and then they funnel most of the books over to their more successful location. Customers usually sell to the first decent shop they see.

Most of the other 2nd hand book stores in Pattaya are pinned between these two stores and, therefore, starved of decent stock and have nothing but junk on their shelves with the occasional interesting book. They can stay open with few customers because their owners have other incomes and are hoping that the winds of fortune will change. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I opened a bank account at the Kasikorn branch in Pattaya last year.

The Thai lady who helped me open the account started chatting away to me and mentioned that many farangs come to Pattaya and open accounts at Kasikorn with large sums of baht for businesses and after a time they leave with nothing.

She mentioned this rather matter of factly but it was very revealing.

BTW I only put 8000 bath in my account.

There is a kind of business that does not exist in Thailand that I believe could be a huge success in Pattaya. Any good location including in or near the gay area.

A San Francisco "Mission District" style BURRITO restaurant. Done well.

The kind where you approach a counter and "build your own burrito" by selecting the meat, type of beans, type of rice, types of salsa, types of toppings like sour cream, cheese, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, etc.

Also, fruit "agua frescas" could be offered using both Thai fruits and traditional Mexican fruits like tamarind. Both being tropical, there are many of the same fruits. If done well, the prices justified could be the same as in the US, about 250 baht for a full featured burrito. This would be a difficult business to do well in Thailand, but the first one to do it would have a built in market of American tourists and expats, and others would catch on. Even the Thais.

Too many people try to do the same same and face stiff competition. How about some original ideas that provide something new that doesn't yet exist in Thailand? I agree British expats are very well served in Pattaya with meat pies and roast dinners up the wazoo. But Americans, while the numbers are less, are really not well served. And I am talking about "real" American regional foods, such as good Mexican food, not McDonalds and such, which represents the absolute worst aspects of American food culture.

Edited by Thaiquila

Best of luck to you. In spite of all the naysayers--and they may be right--I don't know, but a good, well run bar is always needed and welcomed both by the locals and the tourists.

Again, best of luck.

Best of luck to you. In spite of all the naysayers--and they may be right--I don't know, but a good, well run bar is always needed and welcomed both by the locals and the tourists.

Again, best of luck.

Where ? there are good run bars every where. Many of them empty.

This month the KFC in jomtien finally closed down, dying a death for years.

Of course some people make money in thailand, generally thais..... :o

Alas folks, I am, in fact on the other bus (gay) but heavily involved in the entertainment industry here in Ireland. I have successfully run my business here for almost 20 years and would have 16 entertainment venues that I provide consultancy for on an ongoing basis. I have identified a niche in the entertainment scene in Thailand and have my plan (which will eventually, I hope, lead to franchise of the same formula and brand name). What I am seeking here is a change of lifestyle - My business interests here practically run themselves now and there is nothing I cannot handle via email and telephone. I could come and live off my current interests but where would be the challenge in that, eh? Most of the advice here is great but I feel directed at inexperienced ppl chancing their arm with their life savings. Am I wrong?

I agree wholeheartedly that there are many many bars but I feel that someone arriving without bar knowledge will lose because they are learning the hard way with their own money - A fatal error. Knowledge is power:) I will be in Pattaya for 3 weeks in February to sit, drink, talk, observe, and talk some more. I will not get into anything lightly and will examine EVERYTHING around a potential bar before closing/offering.

I have been liaising with Sunbelt Asia for a few months now and have seen some very interesting accounting from some bars (having signed confidentiality & disclosure agrrements first of course). Evans Marketing are also one of my daily perusals. Are there other reliable, credible agencies I can speak with? All advice appreciated

Cheers,

Steve

There is a kind of business that does not exist in Thailand that I believe could be a huge success in Pattaya. Any good location including in or near the gay area.

The kind where you approach a counter and "build your own burrito" by selecting the meat, type of beans, type of rice, types of salsa, types of toppings like sour cream, cheese, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, etc.

Also, fruit "agua frescas" could be offered using both Thai fruits and traditional Mexican fruits like tamarind. Both being tropical, there are many of the same fruits. If done well, the prices justified could be the same as in the US, about 250 baht for a full featured burrito. This would be a difficult business to do well in Thailand, but the first one to do it would have a built in market of American tourists and expats, and others would catch on. Even the Thais.

Too many people try to do the same same and face stiff competition. How about some original ideas that provide something new that doesn't yet exist in Thailand? I agree British expats are very well served in Pattaya with meat pies and roast dinners up the wazoo. But Americans, while the numbers are less, are really not well served. And I am talking about "real" American regional foods, such as good Mexican food, not McDonalds and such, which represents the absolute worst aspects of American food culture.

Thaiquila, I think you're right in general (finding something that isn't well done, or done at all) and in specific (a Burrito/Mexican shop) in Pattaya. I actually went through the mental gymnastics and research to do JUST THAT (mexican food in a shopfront on Soi Post Office, the rent was just too much) over 3 years ago! Unfortunately, I bought 50% (partnership, mistake) of a bar/guesthouse with 8 rooms, and pretty much bailed on it 6 months later, out $13k.

Of course the lack of good Mexican in Thailand is well-documented, many threads on TV.

Edited by calibanjr.

A friend who has a bar on Walking Street with around 20 girls says it's the way to make money. He says the girls are all very nice, have lots of fun, and look out for each other.

If its a successful bar its a great way to earn money in Pattaya.

I know guys pulling around a million profit a month. :o

Edited by davethailand

Of course the lack of good Mexican in Thailand is well-documented, many threads on TV.

Big Als Burrito stall opposite the Big C is by far the best Mexican food I have found in pattaya.

I know guys pulling around a million profit a month. :D

But you pull in more than that ............don't you ? :o:D

Miquel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai has the real deal. He ran Mexican restaurants in San Diego for many years!

could anyone give me any advice on first buying and then running a bar in pattaya.

Had enough of blighty and going to sell my house and have about 15-20k spare to go over to pattaya.i have had previous bar management experience as well as a sales and marketing background within the toursit industry ie uk holiday parks. tho i suspect this will be as much use as a glass hammer in pattaya.

all the same nothing ventured nothing gained an all that. i just need the lowdown on buyin a bar/ guesthouse mainly and then the problems of running one over there.

as i said any constructive advice would be welcome

cheers

Sparky

My advice is simple: Don't Do It. You'll get more satisfaction and less frustration by simply flushing it down the toilet now. But as we say here " Up to you...."

I like the New Orleans Cafe in South Pattaya too. A mixture of different cuisines, not including Mexican.

On the expensive side, but worth it! :o

Try the vegetarian on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. Usually very well attended and sometimes someone to 'lecture' on the benefits of vegetarianism.

Big Als Burrito stall opposite the Big C is by far the best Mexican food I have found in pattaya.

I know guys pulling around a million profit a month. :D

But you pull in more than that ............don't you ? :o:D

I wish. :D

Edited by davethailand

That's what Pattaya/Jomthien needs! A first class vegetarian restaurant!! How about it OP?

One thing I really miss from the San Francisco Bay area is good vegetarian restaurants with a combination of different cuisines. I'm not that crazy about Thai food even with good meat, so just taking it out doesn't ring my bell.

Some good vegetarian style Italian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, or Japanese food always hits the spot. :o

That's what Pattaya/Jomthien needs! A first class vegetarian restaurant!! How about it OP?

One thing I really miss from the San Francisco Bay area is good vegetarian restaurants with a combination of different cuisines. I'm not that crazy about Thai food even with good meat, so just taking it out doesn't ring my bell.

Some good vegetarian style Italian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, or Japanese food always hits the spot. :o

OK in all seriousness what has vegitarian food got to do with wanting to open a Bar ???

And OP how many pages do you need to get a Resounding "DONT DO IT!!""

Some good vegetarian style Italian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, or Japanese food always hits the spot. :D

OK in all seriousness what has vegitarian food got to do with wanting to open a Bar ???

As in: opening a vegetarian restaurant makes a lot more sense than opening another bar in Pattaya! :o

Sorry LBD, but, although the OP signed in to TV today, he hasn't made a post for almost a year (only two days short) ...... I think he got the message a long time ago :o

Sorry LBD, but, although the OP signed in to TV today, he hasn't made a post for almost a year (only two days short) ...... I think he got the message a long time ago :D

Glad to see there is someone else with their brain in gear round here.. :D

No disrespect to the other posters.. :o

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, The manic said:

It takes a lot more than 20k. Good luck. A few bars have caught on in Pattaya in the last few years. Many have failed. This one iscan exception.

Maybe not when he posted his comment 13 years ago!