Bringing Pla Ra Into The Us?

Lkind

My wife is returning from a visit home and wants to bring back a rather significant quantity of pla ra (or, stinkfish as it is known in my house) with her.

She brought a kilo or two with her on the last trip, but she is thinking of bringing something like 20 kilos of the stuff this time.

My question is: Is there a limit on how much fermented fish product you can bring into the US? How should it be packed? Will she be diverted to guantanamo bay if a customs agent cracks a container open and takes a whiff of what most people would assume is a weapon of mass destruction?

Nothing quite like an Isan girl.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

PS - Are there any sources for truly stinky pla ra in the US?

Of course the import dollar value would have to be declared. Two issues, they may see a huge quantity as a commercial import. Secondly there are bans on raw food. This food is processed but if brought in loose bags, I think there is a problem. If you bring in sealed commercial plastic or jars and it is clearly processed, it is likely allowable. Durian is an example. Of course you cannot bring in fresh fruit, but you can bring in cooked processed durain cakes wrapped in plastic from the manufacturer. They will ask are you bringing in food? While processed foods are allowed, I think in this case you would still need to say YES. So expect some scrutiny at best.

Edited by Jingthing

Wouldnt be easier to send it as a Air Cargo? I believe shipping agents know how to declare this ... and no hassles at the airport

Do you have any pointers on how to set an air cargo shipment up in Thailand? Fedex's site gave me a quote (5200 baht for 20 kilos, BKK to SFO!) but I can't find much else.

Just asked my wife and she says she's bought that stuff in the U.S. at some Thai grocery stores, jars. This was in the Portland, OR area and Alexandria, VA.

Give that a try.

Mac

We've tried the store bought jarred stuff here and, amazingly, it doesn't smell bad enough for her. For some reason my suggestion to leave the open jar to fester in the sun for a few weeks wasn't well received.

Does anyone know if the fermentation process for that stuff kills parasites in uncooked fish? I had liver flukes recently which was not pleasant and the source was uncooked fish - either somtam/mudfish or laaap pla from uncooked fish most likely.

Watch out if you are taking 1kg of the stuff! Many millions of Isaan people carry cancer-causing parasites without knowing.

Edited by SantiSuk

A couple years ago I went through customs with some kind of dried fish product. I declared it and when asked what it was responded "I don't know". Got a couple funny looks and then a red flag. Sent to another desk and was questioned further with only more "I don't know" for an answer. They let me through... our tax dollars at work. Conversely, I've also made it through Thai customs with a 20lb frozen turkey.

20 kg. of stinky fish in a non-commercially sealed package past US customs? Houston, we have a problem.

Well lets see. We have had three unauthorized people enter the White House for a State Dinner and one known terrorist trying to blow up another airline so whats the problem bringing 20 kg.of stinky fish past customs. :)

20 kg. of stinky fish in a non-commercially sealed package past US customs? Houston, we have a problem.

Well lets see. We have had three unauthorized people enter the White House for a State Dinner and one known terrorist trying to blow up another airline so whats the problem bringing 20 kg.of stinky fish past customs. :)

Ha ha. Different issue. We are talking about the entry point on US arrival. Raw foods are forbidden. Pla ra is pickled. It may or may not be OK but 20 kg that is not sealed in commercial packaging is really pushing it.

Edited by Jingthing

Good luck trying to get that in to the USA unless it is properly labeled as a "Hazardous Substance" mate. :D

Seriously though, without proper ingredient lists and all that, I think you will be in for a rough time.

I think it's categorized under biological warfare :)

Ha ha. Different issue. We are talking about the entry point on US arrival. Raw foods are forbidden. Pla ra is pickled. It may or may not be OK but 20 kg that is not sealed in commercial packaging is really pushing it.

There all US Government agencies all known for messing up now and then, but, 1 kg of stinky fish not sealed would cause a mass evacuation of the sanitation sewage department site let alone the passenger terminal.

From what I could tell from the US Gov't websites meat, poultry, vegetables, and fruit are all a no-no... but there is no problem with fish!

It appeared that US Customs doesn't deal with bringing fish into the US, it is the Fish & Wildlife service. It seems like this is geared towards people bringing sport-fishing meat back into the US, but I assumed it would cover pickled fish products as well.