More Unfathomable Thai Logic...

Merlin

My wife and I are just laughing now - watching the BTV local news:

There's a fire at some factory in Raem Chabang. and what does the video show? The firetruck is stopped at the gate - the smoke is plainly billowing into the sky from a building behind the gatehouse - and the driver and the other firefighters are patiently waiting while the guard is taking photocopies of all their ID cards before he'll let them in...

:o

:D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...believable. I got hit by Thai logic recently. Makro in Surin started selling individual packs of Salmon steaks. I bought the lot as soon as they hit the freezer. A few weeks later they re-stocked and again I bought all. Suddenly; no more salmon. I waited and waited but to no avail. I approached the manageress to find out why. She informed me ' Cannot sell' My wife informed her that it must sell as we buy it all,and the reply was.'Only sell one day. Rest of month cannot sell.

same with me - I only buy natural yoghurt, I don't buy the fruit or flavoured ones. 3 times out of four, there are none. Why? because the natural ones sell well, why don't I take strawberry.....

Used to buy LM green smokes at one shop that would run out but not get any more until the other brands and colours had run out too.

There's a fire at some factory in Raem Chabang. and what does the video show? The firetruck is stopped at the gate - the smoke is plainly billowing into the sky from a building behind the gatehouse - and the driver and the other firefighters are patiently waiting while the guard is taking photocopies of all their ID cards before he'll let them in...

I see nothing wrong with the guard doing a diligent job in his responsibilities.. afterall, rules are rules... :o

That's right! If it was all efficient and service was up to par then it wouldn't be the Muang Thai we love, and would possibly turn into a boring place akin to somewhere in the West.

Pretty horrendous though, especially if there were people in there.

Mind you, don't blame the guard if there was valuable stock in there. A few years ago in the UK there was a fire at the place I worked and watching the firemen load up their wagon with goodies (food) nicked from the factory was a tad bewildering :o

Edited by jackr

I think you must have spent too much time in your home country!

Just accept that things are done differently, doesn't mean you are right, or your country is any better.

Foot Massages in Chaing Mai Night Market are priced at:

59 Baht  1/2 hour

120Baht 1 hour

Where I come from it has always been the more you buy the more you save

Not here :D

TP, I'll bet they might have had the same idea, but something got screwed-up in the math figuring... :o

TP, where is the shop? I wouldn't mind grabbing a photo of that sign for my files.. :D

59 Baht  1/2 hour

120Baht 1 hour

Not here :o

let me try to decypher this. it could mean 2 things.

1. they're saying "don't make us work any harder than we have to". or,

2. they get to turn over more customers per day if they could entice them to go for the half hour instead of the full hour....more happy customers leading to more repeat customers. their logic not mine.

59 Baht  1/2 hour

120Baht 1 hour

I think I can see the logic. To me it seems quite sensible.

Massage, of any type, requires energy and a certain amount of strength and stamina.

Used over an hour, this energy depreciates, as does the strength and stamina. Much more so than in a single ½ hour session - and more so than two single ½ hour sessions.

Hence the greater price for an unbroken hour, as compared to 2 x1/2 hour, where there is time to rest and regain this lost energy, between sessions.

same with me - I only buy natural yoghurt, I don't buy the fruit or flavoured ones. 3 times out of four, there are none. Why? because the natural ones sell well, why don't I take strawberry.....

Used to buy LM green smokes at one shop that would run out but not get any more until the other brands and colours had run out too.

same same but different you know!

Lucky that they had their ID's with 'em then. :o

59 Baht  1/2 hour

120Baht 1 hour

This is common.

Tesco Lotus, who should know better:

Allowrie Butter 227 gm 36 baht

Allowrie Butter 454 gm 73 baht

Tooth brushes (I forget the brand)

1 for 37 baht

3 for 128 baht

You go figure it out?

59 Baht  1/2 hour

120Baht 1 hour

This is common.

Tesco Lotus, who should know better:

Allowrie Butter 227 gm 36 baht

Allowrie Butter 454 gm 73 baht

Tooth brushes (I forget the brand)

1 for 37 baht

3 for 128 baht

You go figure it out?

easy this one.....it takes more packaging for more of something.....

And I am not even Thai.....

:o:D

Edited by gburns57au

59 Baht  1/2 hour

120Baht 1 hour

TP, I'll bet they might have had the same idea, but something got screwed-up in the math figuring... :o

TP, where is the shop? I wouldn't mind grabbing a photo of that sign for my files.. :D

Ajarn,

I think the place is called the Asunan market, but its the same place as where the Irish Pub O'Mallys is. They must be a cartel because they all post the same prices.

I have been told that the whole of the market (owned by the company that owns Beer Chang) is being bulldozed soon to make way for an upmarket shopping mall. Don't know if anybody else knows any more?

Surely you could just ask for 2 half hour sessions at 118 baht total. :o

All the relaxation from the massage explaining that to them though :D

Its all <deleted> anyway as whenever I have one I always give them a 20 baht Tip, I mean who wants to work for 120 baht an hour, then they don't get all that anyway the people doing the work probably earn 60 B an hour or something like that.

The ONLY logic I can apply is that they charge like this is get more money in TIPS. Thats the ONLY logical solution in my mind. I dont hold with any of the other explanations.

It must be the Tips, as I thnk I give the same if its 1/2 hour or an hour- never really thought about it before, but on 59 baht 20 baht is a helluva percentage :D

Foot

easy this one.....it takes more packaging for more of something.....

And I am not even Thai.....

:o:D

With an answer like that you should be.Think about it.

and further....if you buy three toothbrushes instead of one....they need to order three to replace them....that is more work.....

getting good at this..... :D:D

This is the Thai version of 'Jewish stocktaking".

The security man was under instructions from management to ''let the fire get going properly" before letting the fire service in :D

No offence intended to our Jewish bretheren.

This is the Thai version of 'Jewish stocktaking".

The security man was under instructions from management to ''let the fire get going properly" before letting the fire service in :D

No offence intended to our Jewish bretheren.

They are all holidaying on insurance proceeds :D

How about my neighbour's logic. A heavy thunderstorm rolls in, it gets real windy, rain starts pouring, lightning and all. He figures the wind will take the antenna down and climbs all the way up the antenna pole with a pair of pliers and a roll of metal wire on his arm while his brother holds on to the other end of the wire down below. :o

I have it on video with a beautiful flash of lightning. :D

How about my neighbour's logic. A heavy thunderstorm rolls in, it gets real windy, rain starts pouring, lightning and all. He figures the wind will take the antenna down and climbs all the way up the antenna pole with a pair of pliers and a roll of metal wire on his arm while his brother holds on to the other end of the wire down below. :o

I have it on video with a beautiful flash of lightning. :D

Not only Thai logic. An Aussie got topped in Surin last year messing about with his ariel after his wife reported it was live and got a belt off it.

While somewhat amusing, i'm not sure why giving examples of stupid people doing stupid things is specific to only thais and labled "unfathomable thai logic". Isn't stupid found in all societies in all countries? Have fun, enjoy the craziness, but don't bash or stereotype people as if stupid was a commodity only sold in los.

While somewhat amusing, i'm not sure why giving examples of stupid people doing stupid things is specific to only thais and labled "unfathomable thai logic". Isn't stupid found in all societies in all countries? Have fun, enjoy the craziness, but don't bash or stereotype people as if stupid was a commodity only sold in los.

Just what I was going to say.

Many people who have spent too long in their home countries just do not accept and understand Thai people, or other nationalities, so revert to slagging them off, or implying they are not as clever as them.

Just what I was going to say.

Many people who have spent too long in their home countries just do not accept and understand Thai people, or other nationalities, so revert to slagging them off, or implying they are not as clever as them.

On the same note, I get weary of these Thai-slagging and Thailand-slagging threads, as if we have nothing better to do, or if there aren't other countries we could migrate to or slag off. I'm seriously thinking of running away if personal circumstances get much worse, but -

In two years, I've found the driving here to be better than two other third world countries I lived in.

I find the casual approach to the rule of law has its advantages, such as being able to run 139 kph along the rural highway without incident.

I've only been robbed once, by a jewelry thief, but since I don't keep jewelry around the house and aren't even sure how to spell 'jewelry,' only my roommate lost anything.

I hate the food, but try to keep my comments down to a dull insult.

Thai's aren't pedantic about punctuality, but that's a virtue. In Mexico, they make a sinful scandal about being at least an hour late, without apology.

Pirated CD's and VCD's may be dishonest, but they surely are cheap.

The lack of planning on their part is not exactly my problem.

Their lack of professionalism in education is my problem sometimes, but it's 'their problem' always.

Oops, I've slagged a lot, too. I do think there's a form of logic in some of this illogic. If all behavior is caused, it must have a purpose.

Surely you could just ask for 2 half hour sessions at 118 baht total. :o

All the relaxation from the massage explaining that to them though :D

Its all <deleted> anyway as whenever I have one I always give them a 20 baht Tip, I mean who wants to work for 120 baht an hour, then they don't get all that anyway the people doing the work probably earn 60 B an hour or something like that.

The ONLY logic I can apply is that they charge like this is get more money in TIPS. Thats the ONLY logical solution in my mind. I dont hold with any of the other explanations.

It must be the Tips, as I thnk I give the same if its 1/2 hour or an hour- never really thought about it before, but on 59 baht 20 baht is a helluva percentage :D

The masseuses (as opposed to the business) DO rely on the tips to survive, and if it was 100 baht for an hour, no one would ever dig out a decent tip. Not surprisingly, they don't get paid for the time they sit around waiting for customers, so in many places they're lucky to average 3 hours a day. Incidentally, even Thais who are stingy with restaurant tips will be generous to a masseuse.