Dreambox 7020 Question

astral

I want to copy some recorded programmes from the hard disk to a usb stick.

I have accessed the Tuxbox commander and can see /media/usb

so I copied the files there, successfully, but they are not on the usb stick. :)

Then I tried the /dev/discs/ folder

I can see disc0 and disc1 is added when I plug in the usb,

but trying to copy files gives the and error message Resource Temporarily unavailable.

So how do I get files to then usb??

Thanks in advance.

To clarify my earlier statement; perhaps you don't have permissions to write to an external device---but I haven't played around with a Dreambox so I can't say. If my hunch is true and you have the root password it's trivial to change the user's permissions.

To clarify my earlier statement; perhaps you don't have permissions to write to an external device---but I haven't played around with a Dreambox so I can't say. If my hunch is true and you have the root password it's trivial to change the user's permissions.

Simply use DCC or even sftp or samba in your linux box or cif copy (windows explorer) to copy them over. You can even do it from shell in the 7020 as well.

BUT - is the usb device mounted? If not all a pointless exercise.

The problem is that the ethernet port is not working.

Hence the attempt to use tuxbox to copy locally to the usb stick.

I reformated the stick to Linux ext2 but that did not help.

Sysinfo show the usb as mounted as /media/usb/

If the ethernet is not working it is 7 times out of 10 an image / software issue, and a reflash should bring it back to life. Did you install the nfi backup Ppanel (assuming you are using PLi) if so use this to backup to the USB stick (or hdd if you have one installed) there is a link to my web site on the Pli images web site.

However if you see your USB stick under /media/usb it should be there, so copy all the files you need with TC to back it up - reflash - restore and go for it.

Edited by joncl

I gave up on the usb port.

Using a null modem cable I was able to flash the latest Pli image and the LAN connection is working again. :)

All other settings were backup on the harddisk, and easily retrieved.

Two comments:

1. The DB manual and the DreamUp seem to say that a LAN and RS232 connection are needed.

This is not true, and should be made clearer.

The RS232 connection alone is fine. The flash took 37 minutes plus a few extra to then load the image.

2. RS232 is a very old fashioned type of connection. No notebooks sold to today support it!

I was lucky to have a USB to RS232 cable, with the software to drive it. I use it for my weather station.

Otherwise you will need to spend around $30 to buy one

The NULL cable was only $2.

I gave up on the usb port.

Using a null modem cable I was able to flash the latest Pli image and the LAN connection is working again. :)

All other settings were backup on the harddisk, and easily retrieved.

I just got your PM and replied and I see you have done it now, well done and glad it was a software issue for you not a hardware one.

The idea of having to put the box in for HW repair was worrying me........

No satellite TV and an expensive bill. :)

However the idea of flashing the box and it going wrong was also scary.

As it turned out it was a piece of cake.