Shocked, Appalled

sharecropper

There I was yesterday walking along a main thoroughfare in this fine city when I saw a group of layabouts who, on closer inspection, turned out to be eight policemen, lolling around on their motorbikes, having spent the day fining crash-helmetless people going to and from the market.

I hung around them for a couple of minutes, hoping against hope.

Suddenly I saw one of them was about to ride off, and he wasn’t wearing a crash helmet, only a baseball cap, so I tried to get my camera out, but missed him, leaving me swearing like a lunatic on the pavement.

Then one who wasn’t even wearing a baseball cap, just bare headed, began to kick-start his bike.

This was too much, so I fired a few surreptitious shots off, then approached him in a friendly way, wagging my finger, pointing at his head, and saying “may dai, may dai”!

Much to my surprise, he looked at me, at first nonplussed, before ignoring me and riding off, at which point I snapped this pic.

Not wishing to have the words: “Here lies Sharecropper, the man who took a camera to a gunfight” inscribed on my tombstone, I decided to let him go this time, and that I would have to step up my vigilante law enforcement efforts in the future.

So the next time it happens, having seen where being friendly got me this time, I will give chase to the next one, leap on him, pinioning him to the ground, screaming “You’re bleeding NICKED mate”!

That’ll learn ‘em to take road safety seriously.

Will report back, but you might have to wait for ten years first.

post-25623-1262705371_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pic and one of his fellow BIBs waving him off helmetless :)

I see what you are saying. I should have nicked them both, the second one for perverting the course of justice by knowingly allowing the misdemeanor to take place and by not nicking him.

Clever. Thanks. Will add it to my Vigilante Notebook.

Actually it would do Thailand a great favour if all members of the BiB were to ride around pi5ed out of their heads like raving lunatics with local politicians as pillion passengers.

It's called something like Darwinian selection.

A bit like mindless farangs who rent CBR950XRS450VVrrrMMM's just to show that they have a peanut between their ears.

At the end of the day, even if you convinced every police officer in Pattaya to wear helmets, nothing will have changed - you'll still need yours.

What bothers me more are helmetless children riding bikes to school. Even more still, 2 adults wearing helmets with 1, 2 or 3 helmetless child passengers. Worst of all...a farang male with girlfriend/wife wearing helmets and carrying a helmetless child or baby.

Is this some sort of new fangled "Tufty Club" thingumabob you have come up with 'cropper?

Maybe that could be your disguise. You know, a oversized red squirrel suit so that the MiB can't finger you as you blaze your path of motocy retribution?

If it doesn't work out, you can always get a job on WS.

You have no face, if you fine people for probably tea money. Then you ride off on your tea guzzling motor bike. Doing

the very thing that you fine other people for.

It just illustrates the lack of proffesionalism that most police officers have in Thailand. They are disgraceful.

Every body should wear helmets when ridding their motore cycles. Police Officers should not be above the law.

Don't you think you might git into trouble, I don't think it's a wise thing to do in the LOS.

Just a hunch but I suspect he's bullshitting a bit. Our moral guardians are rarely seen on the actual front line - they tend to lurk in the background, tutting, with a camera.

:)

Don't you think you might git into trouble, I don't think it's a wise thing to do in the LOS.

Just a hunch but I suspect he's bullshitting a bit. Our moral guardians are rarely seen on the actual front line - they tend to lurk in the background, tutting, with a camera.

Or fatuously sniping on Thai Visa.

Nice pic and one of his fellow BIBs waving him off helmetless :)

I see what you are saying. I should have nicked them both, the second one for perverting the course of justice by knowingly allowing the misdemeanor to take place and by not nicking him.

Clever. Thanks. Will add it to my Vigilante Notebook.

i will give you my number and if you decide to attempt an arrest of a cop for not wearing a helmet give me a call before hand, I attend with my camera and take many pictures, I am pretty sure it will be much more interesting read than your OP

hillariuos

At the end of the day, even if you convinced every police officer in Pattaya to wear helmets, nothing will have changed - you'll still need yours.

What bothers me more are helmetless children riding bikes to school. Even more still, 2 adults wearing helmets with 1, 2 or 3 helmetless child passengers. Worst of all...a farang male with girlfriend/wife wearing helmets and carrying a helmetless child or baby.

I couldn't agree more, but who is to blame? The adults wearing the helmets cos they'll get fined if they don't ?

or the police for allowing them to take helmetless kids as passengers?

What i can't understand is why the police don't stop and fine them for the helmetless kids? It is more tea money for them!

Or fatuously sniping on Thai Visa.

Yup. That too. A man needs a hobby.

Mot exactly standard Police issue motorbike is it? How on earth can he afford such a nice bike?

Howard, you should know better.

How many times can we read in the papers, that the vehicle of a police-colonel was robbed:"A toyota fortuner, parked at the party side with 3 5-baht necklaces and THB 500,000 cash was robbed ............."

I always wonder how government officials (e.g. police) can drive brand new cars and live in upper class houses.