Tourist Visa Required?

Offcially you will need a visa if you will stay longer than 30 days. Some airlines are very strict and will deny you boarding without a visa. So it would be prudent to get a visa, to avoid being denied boarding at the airport.

But check if you really will be staying in Thailand for 31 nights. The day you depart for Thailand might not be the same day you arrive in Thailand. The day of your arrival is day 1, the day of your depature your last day.

You could also check with your airline if it will be a problem. In that case do it by e-mail, so you have it in writing.

Financially speaking, I suppose that $45 AUD exchanges roughly for 1,350 THB at 30:1, but considering the ease of obtaining the proper 60 day visa in Perth, and the black mark (however minor) a two day overstay will leave against your name, ontop of the 1,000 THB fine, I'd go with the extra 350 baht in Perth and do things the right way.

The Perth Consulate are fairly decent, and if you can get your passport and a couple of photos in on Tuesday morning, (and fill out a simple form at the counter), they'll have your visa stamp ready to collect on Thursday morning and you should then be granted permission to stay for sixty days on arrival, and no black marks against your name for 31 nights or 32 days.

Done that myself a while back--- did not count the arrival day as " day one " --as it happened i arrived at Dong Muang at 2230--so I just hung around till after midnight before going through immigration----only thing was that I had to pick my luggage up at the unclaimed section----not a problem at all.

just a thought -if your flight arrives late in the evening.

Bucko

Edited by Bucko

Tourist visas are free till March.

Yes, and sorry for being forgetful on that. In Perth, the single-entry tourist visas are apparently free, but I was still slugged $135 AUD for the triple-entry tourist visas, but that's life, eh?

I guess that answers the question fairly well, unless it might be as explained above that midnight falls between departing Perth and arriving at the customs counter. Given the choice of 500-1,000 baht overstay fines, or a proper 60 day visa for free, not much arithmetic required at all...

• 1 month later...