Iranian Man Arrested With 4.2 Kgs Of 'ice' Drug At Bangkok's Suvarnbhumi Airport

webfact

Iranian man arrested with 4.2 kgs of 'Ice' drug

An Iranian man was arrested at Bangkok's Suvarnbhumi International Airport for smuggling 4.2 kilograms of ICE (crystal methamphetamine hydrochloride) worth Bt17 million into Thailand, police said Wednesday.

Tipped off that some Iranians would smuggle narcotics into Thailand via the airport amid New Year holidays' tourists, Thai authority had been on a lookout and presented themselves Tuesday evening to search the Iranian suspect, Keyvan Ghannavatirajabnejad, 33, who had just arrived from Dubai. They found the bag of ICE hidden in his luggage's specially made compartment and apprehended him for legal prosecution.

Customs Department chief Somchai Sajjapong said that his office arrested 31 smugglers carrying more than 52 kilograms of narcotics last year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gallery_327_1086_12624.jpg

Iranian arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport for smuggling 42kg of 'ice'

BANGKOK, Jan 6 (TNA) - An Iranian man on Wednesday was arrested at Thailand's main international airport for smuggling 42 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as "ice", worth over Bt17 million (about US$500,000), into the kingdom.

Customs Department Director-General Somchai Sajjapong inspected the impounded drugs seized from 33-year-old Ghanavatirajabnejad Keyvan in the international arrival terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Customs officials said they observed the Iranian man behaving suspiciously after he disembarked.

As the suspect went through luggage scanning process, officials found that the bag was unusually thick, so they examined it and found the crystal meth hidden in a specially-made compartment in the luggage.

According to the preliminary investigation, the Iranian national said he was smuggling the drug into the kingdom for the first time, but Thai authorities did not believe him, as it is reported that the accused has travelled to Thailand 11 times.

Thai authorities are now investigating the case further to find whether there are accomplices in the kingdom.

The Customs Department reported that it has arrested 31 people smuggling illicit drugs into Thailand via the airport throughout 2009. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-06

well done customs, I hope they concentrate more on the drug smugglers than ex-patriates or thai trying to bring their own personal possesions or a small contraband into thaiand.

it has grown from 4.2 to 42kg (but that would be more than can take be taken into the hold luggage)

the news was already a few hours ago on thai tv, but no pictures, just a commentary from the journalist from the airport.

btw recently I had a nice experience with customs at bkk airport - as all luggage was screened I was couth with some stuff for sale in thailand, wanted to give a small gift as a "thank you" for a lenient treatment but it was refused.

Edited by londonthai

well done customs, I hope they concentrate more on the drug smugglers than ex-patriates or thai trying to bring their own personal possesions or a small contraband into thaiand.

it has grown from 4.2 to 42kg (but that would be more than can take be taken into the hold luggage)

the news was already a few hours ago on thai tv, but no pictures, just a commentary from the journalist from the airport.

btw recently I had a nice experience with customs at bkk airport - as all luggage was screened I was couth with some stuff for sale in thailand, wanted to give a small gift as a "thank you" for a lenient treatment but it was refused.

Not if he was flying fist class :)

Why would anyone smuggle crystal meth into Thailand ?

The golden triangle, former number one heroin producer in the wold is now one of the top crystal meth producer in the world (so I read).

I wonder why anyone would want to bring the stuff into the kingdom ? it wouldn't have surprised me if the guy was leaving thailand with Ice... any ideas ?

I do not know much more about the natural "ice" than about this Ice, but it looks to me that this is certainly NOT 42 kg but probably something like 4.2 Kg. But than again, the Nation employs people who are not that good with numbers anyhow. They probably recruited them under Thai teachers.

What a muppet!! Smuggling drugs through Dubai & Thailand, 2 countries with probably the strictest drug laws in the world.

Oh well, another candidate for an episode of banged up abroad.

No. Not when compared with Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. Not even close.

What a muppet!! Smuggling drugs through Dubai & Thailand, 2 countries with probably the strictest drug laws in the world.

No. Not when compared with Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. Not even close.

right...no drug law is stricter than the singapore law

Legalise, tax and regulate.

Silly laws can't compete against this black market.

legalize Ice ? wow... not such a good idea mate

definitely not a good idea!

Yeah best leave it to the criminals to run the market.

They always have customer service in mind; plus they can use the profits for real crimes like terrorism and people smuggling.

When I say legalise I don't mean let the 7/11s sell it.

Silly man! Hope that the punishment will fit the crime, as no doubt it would, in Iran!

At least the Iranian Govt will not interfere if he gets the Capital punishment.

And being Iranian, he can not claim being mentally handicapped.

Whichever way his punishment will go, he will meet his end soon. Thai prisons do not serve yogurt or tea. May his God have mercy on him... I don't.

gallery_327_1086_12624.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 6 (TNA) - An Iranian man on Wednesday was arrested at Thailand's main international airport for smuggling 42 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as "ice", worth over Bt17 million (about US$500,000), into the kingdom.

Customs Department Director-General Somchai Sajjapong inspected the impounded drugs seized from 33-year-old Ghanavatirajabnejad Keyvan in the international arrival terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Customs officials said they observed the Iranian man behaving suspiciously after he disembarked.

As the suspect went through luggage scanning process, officials found that the bag was unusually thick, so they examined it and found the crystal meth hidden in a specially-made compartment in the luggage.

According to the preliminary investigation, the Iranian national said he was smuggling the drug into the kingdom for the first time, but Thai authorities did not believe him, as it is reported that the accused has travelled to Thailand 11 times.

Thai authorities are now investigating the case further to find whether there are accomplices in the kingdom.

The Customs Department reported that it has arrested 31 people smuggling illicit drugs into Thailand via the airport throughout 2009. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-06

11 times into Thailand previously... If he smuggled similar amounts before that comes to 462Kg at a value of 187 Million Baht !!!! Not silly at all. but good they got him in the end and welcome to the lovely Bangkok Hilton.

except he is never going to see freedom again to make a tv program - this must be worth a 100 years at least

Ya lets hang him now!! or maybe hax him !!!!

This guy is just a mule and dont worrie he will have his punishment for the ones that "hope"

The real moneymakers are now laughing and counting money.

To all those who go for the hanging etc. imagine its your son dauhter would you have the same reaction oops sorry i know this can never happen in to your nice family its right.

Always those same reactions by people catched for drugs.....and like stated before bad idea to legalise "ice" so i am not pro drugs i am just against laws that punish drug users or small time dealers and people used as mules harder then murders and rapists....

just my 2 cents

Why would anyone smuggle crystal meth into Thailand ?

The golden triangle, former number one heroin producer in the wold is now one of the top crystal meth producer in the world (so I read).

I wonder why anyone would want to bring the stuff into the kingdom ? it wouldn't have surprised me if the guy was leaving thailand with Ice... any ideas ?

Maybe he bought it elsewhere and was returning it for a quality complaint........

China recently sent a powerful message to drug smugglers by executing a British man convicted of smuggling drugs into China. Wouldn't harm Thailand reputation on zero tolerance if the authorities here decided to do the same.