More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

More tuk-tuk trouble in Phuket

gallery_327_1086_23672.jpg

Like many before him, Mr Anwar said he would never return to Phuket after his experience with tuk-tuk drivers.

PATONG, PHUKET: A Canadian tourist was hospitalized after being punched repeatedly in an attack involving a tuk-tuk driver yesterday afternoon.

Ivan Bob Anwar, 51, told the Gazette that he was punched five times in the attack, which resulted in a large gash above his left eyebrow requiring five stitches. He also sustained a bloody nose and bruising to his face.

Treatment charges at Patong Hospital came to 2,000 baht.

The attack was the result of a dispute over a one-minute taxi ride.

Mr Anwar and his wife arrived in Phuket on January 4 for a three-day holiday.

But after spending one night in their hotel in the north end of Patong, they decided to move to a quieter location further north in Kalim.

Mr Anwar, a teacher living in Japan, said he and his wife flagged down a tuk-tuk outside their hotel at 1pm yesterday.

After a brief negotiation with the driver, Mr Anwar and his wife agreed to pay 150 baht for the short trip to their new hotel.

“But when we arrived at our new hotel [one minute later] I told the driver that he had charged us too much,” he said.

Mr Anwar offered the driver a discounted fare of 100 baht, feeling this was all the trip was worth and got out of the tuk-tuk.

At this point, Mr Anwar said the driver telephoned a second man who then arrived on the scene almost immediately.

“The driver then got out of the tuk-tuk and punched me four or five times in the face,” said Mr Anwar.

The second man was reported to have restrained Mr Anwar during the attack. Both men then fled the scene in the tuk-tuk, Mr Anwar said.

After witnessing the attack, workers from a nearby hotel took the bloodied Mr Anwar and his wife to Kathu Police Station in the hotel's mini-bus.

At about 3pm, tuk-tuk driver Tassanarit Damthong, 30, handed himself in at Kathu Police Station.

Mr Tassanarit was promptly arrested and charged with assault.

When the Gazette arrived at Kathu Police Station, Mr Tassanarit was in a holding cell, having been denied bail.

Mr Tassanarit’s boss, Natdanai Chaowana, was at the police station. He told the Gazette he didn’t understand why bail had been denied, claiming Mr Anwar was the one at fault.

“The Canadian guy was rude and swore and also kicked him [Mr Tassanarit] first,” said Mr Chaowana.

Mr Chaowana also said that the fee was agreed between the driver and Mr Anwar, and admitted that it was the standard rate in the area.

Mr Anwar and Kathu Police were due to appear at Phuket Provincial Court to file assault charges.

Police said they were still searching for the second man alleged to have been involved in the attack.

Mr Anwar and his wife were due to leave Phuket on January 7. He said he has no plans to return to Phuket.

“I like Thailand, but don’t think I will ever come back to Phuket after this. Maybe I'll try Krabi instead,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point of "licencing" is to stop this type of harassment. Simply put meters in then any dispute goes to the licencing board or police.

If a driver is involved in an assault then revoke his "taxi drivers" licence and therefore livelyhood. They are doing a blatant rip-off tariff scheme and the arguemnet should be turned around......does this driver want to lose his taxi licence for 50baht?

One thing to take note of:

- The TOURIST most likely had NO IDEA that it was ONLY a 1 minute ride. So while 150 baht seems ok at first, when shown that it was merely a long stone-throw, one are ALLOWED to protest the high charge.

- It is NEVER acceptable to resort to physical abuse over a dispute over a bill.

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

Well the pasengers obviousy didnt know it was one minute away otherwise they would have asked for a better price and may have walked.I would suggest very few of us havnt had a bad experience with one of these guys The behaviour of Tuk tuk drivers in Phuket is completly out of control.It wouldnt be hard for the police to find and charge him for assault ,lets hop they do ???

I assume you are being sarcastic rather than daft

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

always trying to find excuses to these phuket tuk tuk wanke_rs.....

i am sure you are living in Phuket.

Phuket is a s..t hole, we all know this!

Hope they will not have the idea to come to Isan! Hope Phuket will keep all its mafia!

Cmon TAT, wave your magic wand over this one. Anyone in the government listening?

Thailand's tourism reputation is being dragged all over the internet and NO ONE is doing anything. Is a metered Tuk-tuk system impossible to achieve if that is what is needed?

Gouge the tourist, he backs out after realising the rip off, whammo........

Something is wrong in this country at the moment. There is too much biting of the hand that feeds. Tourism in Thailand will continue to suffer if these things are not sorted out.

Agree, the fare had been negotiated so be it, there are two sides to the story. The fact that the driver had been refused bail indicates he is known to the police, that could favor the complainents story.

Well the pasengers obviousy didnt know it was one minute away otherwise they would have asked for a better price and may have walked.

I am by no means defending the driver punching the guy, but when we go to bargain for something, shouldn't we know what we are bargaining for? Didn't Mr. Anwar have a tourist map that showed some relative distances? I mean, he had decided on where he wanted to move to somehow. He made a deal, reneged on the agreed upon price after the transport was provided, and trouble ensued. All that for 50 baht?

what i hope, is that people like you are living in Phuket and staying forever there.

Do not come to polute Isan with thought like this!

Thailand's tourism reputation is being dragged all over the internet and NO ONE is doing anything.

I am sorry but I disagree with this statement - we are trying our best, but there are just too many websites to block.

TAT

start by jailing this bugger for a couple of years and any other tuk tuk drivers found guilty of assault - it will stop quickly then - they're all scum down in patong - it really needs to get cleaned up 150-200 baht for a short trip is a joke when in reality it is the daily working wage here

The guy should have paid 150 baht and been on his way. Don't protest over a buck and a half. One thing I've learned in foreign countries is to pick your battles. Are the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket rude? Yes. Are they thugs? Yes. Is there another way to get around in Phuket if you don't have a car or motorbike? No. So negotiate the fare and pay what you agreed to. Case closed.

He probably had Google Earth and the precise coordinates of both hotels. Serve him right for being bashed.

Well the pasengers obviousy didnt know it was one minute away otherwise they would have asked for a better price and may have walked.

I am by no means defending the driver punching the guy, but when we go to bargain for something, shouldn't we know what we are bargaining for? Didn't Mr. Anwar have a tourist map that showed some relative distances? I mean, he had decided on where he wanted to move to somehow. He made a deal, reneged on the agreed upon price after the transport was provided, and trouble ensued. All that for 50 baht?

I don't see it matters, he hired the Baht Bus for an exclusive ride, 100 or 200 baht he should honour his agreement. It's not the driver's fault the customer hasn't researched the distances involved. However, that doesn't excuse the cowardly violence on the part of the driver.

what kind of idiot are you to suggest the tourist is wrong to query what is in a reality a complete rip off of a fare and then gets assaulted for doing so - you've been in LOS way to long if you agree with tuk tuk driver - they all lie blind and cheat and rob at every chance - so i doubt anything that they say bears any truth

ALL Tuk Tuks in Thailand are a rip off and its particularly bad in Phuket when even a ride of 300 yards are not quoted less than 100 baht. And when its raining double everything. Contrast that with a licenced taxi meter where you can go many multiples of the distance for 50 baht. Its the same in Bangkok where fares are 2 or 3 times those of licenced taxi meters.

Outside of Bangkok there are few taxi meters so the operators exploit the opportunity for the scam.

Tuk Tuks are unregulated and should have meters installed which would eradicate the problem.

The guys an idiot. He agreed to a price, he should pay a price. Done.

No doubt the tuk tuk drivers are a few back on the "evolution of man" scale (they just stopped dragging their knuckles) but I am thinking this tourist is not far ahead of them, arguing over 50 baht.

Was obviously worth the argument given the 2000 baht medical bill and wasted time!

what kind of idiot are you to suggest the tourist is wrong to query what is in a reality a complete rip off of a fare and then gets assaulted for doing so - you've been in LOS way to long if you agree with tuk tuk driver - they all lie blind and cheat and rob at every chance - so i doubt anything that they say bears any truth

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreement between 2 parties 150 baht. Then onesided the paying side decide to NOT honour the agreement he just made.

There is no defending whatsoever with violence, But agree with someone, and you shall pay fullstop

Then I think you are not an idiot if you think this Canadian guy has been acting stupid like hel_l. That is my opinion.

Glegolo

I thought Phuket was supposed to be full of warm and kind hearted locals who got huge pleasure out of serving the local tourist throng.Big spending tourists in grossly over priced third world resorts like Phuket and greedy'importe locals dont mix!!! The tuk tuk situation will never get better because why should it???

Well when the tuk tuk drivers boss says why is he not on bail because he is thai, kind of sums up the ignorent attitude the thais have to visitors. So in the boss's way of thinking the tuk tuk driver is ok beat someone and because he is thai and should not locked up.

How sanctimonoius of you. Maybe you'd prefer nobody return to Thailand for their holidays?

Isnt it about time we had meters in tuk tuks? Im a long time resident here and i am sick to death of trying to be ripped off by tuk tuks. In fact, it actually puts me off going to places with lack of alternatives (such as Koh Chang).

Just yesterday i was talking to some elderly friends who have come from BKK. Whilst there they were forced out of a tuk tuk at a gas station because they refused to go all around BKK to the jewelry stores and insisted on going directly to their hotel. This was a couple in their 70s.

I hope the government puts a stop to this once and for all.

"standard fee 150 baht" for a one minute ride. who set the "standard fee", tuk tuk owners, drivers or the governors office?

Those fees are set by the transport Mafia of Thailand. Try to get a taxi near Patpong at night time. They are all allowed to rip off each and every tourist and I bet you will get assaulted too when you sit down and tell them to open their meter. It is all in the game. I truly understand why the owner of the Tuk Tuk company was surprised that his driver was held. After all the upstanding boys in brown are normally involved in the scams and they will get their fair share.

But what is valid for a foreigner caught on camera or mentioned in the press goes also for Thais mentioned in the press. Suddenly all authorities are working by the book. Nothing will happen however, I do not suspect that the tourist is willing to stay for the lengthy court battle, what means that this is simply a case that will fade away, without a sentence passed, except for the bribe that will be paid soon.