Bangkok's Deadly Buses And Bus Drivers

nickbkk

It's about time the ThaiVisa forums had their very own thread where all these experts can ponder, post, prattle and pipe up about all those terrible bus companies, dangerous drivers and deadly vehicles they have to contend with only in Bangkok, Thailand and nowhere else on the planet.

I have enjoyed quite a number of comfortable, well-maintained buses, driven in a safe and sedate manner by experienced, skilled and considerate drivers.

Anybody who thinks bad and dangerous bus driving is special to Bangkok should read up on "Granny Bowling". Or visit Peru.

Enjoy!

Quote : I have enjoyed quite a number of comfortable, well-maintained buses, driven in a safe and sedate manner by experienced, skilled and considerate drivers.

So have I.

The odds are about 1 to 5, but on a large number of trips, the number of 'comfortable, etc...' is quite high.

Just statistics and probabilities...

Edit : to enjoy a 'safe and sedate manners' change the odds from 1 to 5, to 1 to 10.

Edited by sunsamourai

Not gone compare with Peru i never been there so it wouldent be fair.....but the numbers of time i just go out of a bus(in Bangkok)because he drive like a fool i cant count anymore.

The long traject busses are in general a bit better but also on these i went numerous time to the driver to ask him to slow down(maybe i am a pussy),and few times i just let him pull over and get out in a city to get a hotel and continue my journey the day after.

I am living here for 2 decades and yes it get better every year but no busses for me anymore i prefer to drive myself rather then take the risk.

Nickbkk you can take the bus if you try the little red ones in BKK those are the ones you sure like.(the drivers get paid on the # of passengers so he have all reasons not to slow down)

Have fun

zigistar

While I sympathize with bus riders in Peru, using another country as a benchmark is of no use in this case. Bus drivers are worse in Peru, great, remind me not to take one there.

Meanwhile back here on Planet Bangkok, the little green monsters have to be the worst, most aggressively driven 'accidents waiting to happen' I have seen in any major city.

It's interesting to read your post. When I saw the title I thought you were going to grill Thailand roads and bus drivers, but I see that you said something I was preparing to respond with. While Thai roads certainly are a cause for true concern - with some disasters - I lived in Vietnam for over 4 years (on and off) and the bus drivers there were more aggravating than Thailand. Those drivers there in Saigon handle their buses as though they were on motorbikes, I kid no one. I don't even want to start writing about that place right now as I don't want to ruin my day. Seriously, criticize Thai roads all you want, you won't get objection from me, but likewise after a week in places like VN or Cambodia, you'll be saying "phew" there for sure.

Whether it's special or not to Bangkok is irrelevant. It can(dangerous bus driving) and is often very bad in Bangkok, I have read numerous comments on forum and talked to Bangkok Falangs about it. There was a recent guy who posted about the 2 bus drivers who were having a race on the streets, many of us know what it cab be like and sadly maybe the Norwegian journalist did but sadly not here to tell the tale.

Edited by KKvampire

To the OP, hats off to you, you have bigger balls than I. You would never catch me on a bus in Thailand. Done it once and that was it for me. Bangkok to Phuket, I thought I was a goner about 20 times on that trip.

I feel safer in my car, even if a bus could still take me out at the traffic lights.

Most busses are un road worthy, they couldn't even be sold off for scrap mettle.

Have taken dozens of buses all over Thailand and nothing but good experiences, clean, comfortable, and safe, save one complaint. I HATE the karaoke vcds they start playing at 6am on some buses.

I'm not sure that slating the bus drivers here is all that fair considering what they have to endure driving around in this vast city. I am a mad keen driver and like all forms of mechanical transport. I have a ton of licences including Coach/Bus/HGV 1/Motorcycle/Twin Axle Trailers etc etc, and am also a professionally trained government chauffeur from the UK & NZ so I am comfortable in giving my opinions about driving skills. I watch very closely when on the buses observing every move the driver makes, and in all honesty I can't really fault these guys (Green boy racer buses excluded cos' they are idiots!) yes it's not cool being dropped off in the middle of four lanes of traffic to try and get to the pavement safely, and it's also not cool having to run into a busy road avoiding mopeds and cars to try and board the bus, but I dont hold the bus driver responsible for that, blame those stupid ass taxi drivers for parking in the bus stops to try and poach customers, squeeze pimples or whatever.

There is no way people can not have seen how difficult manouvering is for these buses, I actually feel sorry for them because the police do not enforce any laws against other drivers who deliberately block buses from getting in the right lane for their bus stops, most of these bus drivers show amazing levels of restraint, I guess if they didn't they probably would bust a blood vessel. I have driven here many times and do just fine but I would not enjoy driving a bus here although the opportunity would be neat just for the experience. I think that a certain level of aggression is called for in order to survive on the roads here, seeing as how the road rules (if indeed there are any?) are not really enforced, at least not from what I have seen so far.

With regards to safety, I cannot honestly say I have ever gripped my seat and thought F*** Me! I'm gonna die! I have thought a few times err this guy is going a wee bit too fast but never anything more than that. Interestingly my better half tells me that there is no special licence required to drive buses here, if that is the case then that might explain some of the not so flash drivng skills we do see with some of the bus drivers. Mind you what my missus knows about driving you could write on the back of a 7-11 rewards sticker :) if that is true maybe somebody in the know could confirm, I would be interested to know.

Edited by Wossnext