10-20 Year Int Driving License In Phuket

worthy1

I recently came across a business in Phuket (found on the internet)that offers international drivers licenses for up to 20 years for around 6000baht. this certainly seems an easier option than renewing my Australian IDL every year. has anyone had dealings with this sort of thing and are these long term licenses worth the plastic they are written on? it says something about getting a blue book with it also and that it is recognised in Thailand and just about everywhere else on earth apparently. too good to be true? any advice is most welcome

Sounds great! Keep us in the loop if you find out the legitimacy of the licence. The international driver's licence requirement seems to be a new police scam for "Farang." How do I know I was stopped yesterday in Bangna Bangkok by Highway police at a check point (Same one most days) and the cop this time asked me for my International Driver's Licence (First time) Normally they were happy with my NZ driver's licence. Of course I didn't have my International Driver's licence on me (Big card board thin) and as I was reaching for the customary 100 BHT my gf produced her driver's licence and even though there is no way she could drive a big bike and was on the pillion seat we were on our way with a wave and a smile!

I renew my International Driver's Licence every time I return to NZ but have never previously had to show it.

Sounds great! Keep us in the loop if you find out the legitimacy of the licence. The international driver's licence requirement seems to be a new police scam for "Farang." How do I know I was stopped yesterday in Bangna Bangkok by Highway police at a check point (Same one most days) and the cop this time asked me for my International Driver's Licence (First time) Normally they were happy with my NZ driver's licence. Of course I didn't have my International Driver's licence on me (Big card board thin) and as I was reaching for the customary 100 BHT my gf produced her driver's licence and even though there is no way she could drive a big bike and was on the pillion seat we were on our way with a wave and a smile!

I renew my International Driver's Licence every time I return to NZ but have never previously had to show it.

will do! I am in Egypt at the moment but will be heading to the office of the business in question as soon as I get back and will post my findings. Yes I too have been stopped on a few occasions but have always had my IDL on me and I don't think they even checked it, just saw I had one and waved me on.

"I recently came across a business in Phuket (found on the internet)that offers international drivers licenses for up to 20 years for around 6000baht. this certainly seems an easier option than renewing my Australian IDL every year. has anyone had dealings with this sort of thing and are these long term licenses worth the plastic they are written on? it says something about getting a blue book with it also and that it is recognised in Thailand and just about everywhere else on earth apparently. too good to be true? any advice is most welcome "

AS i recall an international license is only good with a regular valid license in ur possesion and then ONLY good for the countries u do not have a license for.

Why bother??? I have had a thai license, ( the new one good for 5 years is in english and valid for driving in most of Asian countries) going on 15 years and use it to drive in America, Europe, thailand and all over aisa PLUS it is accepted for renting a car.

An international license is ONLY a translation in various languages of ur current license,

Its a waste of money

"I recently came across a business in Phuket (found on the internet)that offers international drivers licenses for up to 20 years for around 6000baht. this certainly seems an easier option than renewing my Australian IDL every year. has anyone had dealings with this sort of thing and are these long term licenses worth the plastic they are written on? it says something about getting a blue book with it also and that it is recognised in Thailand and just about everywhere else on earth apparently. too good to be true? any advice is most welcome "

AS i recall an international license is only good with a regular valid license in ur possesion and then ONLY good for the countries u do not have a license for.

Why bother??? I have had a thai license, ( the new one good for 5 years is in english and valid for driving in most of Asian countries) going on 15 years and use it to drive in America, Europe, thailand and all over aisa PLUS it is accepted for renting a car.

An international license is ONLY a translation in various languages of ur current license,

Its a waste of money

I am not sure I understand you correctly: you have a 5 year Thai driving license (incidentally it is nothing new about it as you get it the second time you apply and can produce the adequate visa) and you drive with it in other countries?

Well, unless I am mistaken, an international driving permit (it is not a license as I have been reminded by most people on other threads) is needed and has to be presented when required by the officer ALONG WITH the National driving Licence

IT IS ILLEGAL to drive with your national driving licence unless an agreement was made between the two countries

I would not know about asian countries nor the US but IF STOPPED AND CHECKED IN ANY EUROPEAN COUNTRIES YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE , (except if you can present both documents) and, unless you have someone else to drive, you will have to leave the car behind.

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about or you just happened to have driven in Europe and never got checked

As for renting a car it is used as a kind of ID which, to the lessor, is a credential and they are not required to check furthermore as you are the one who has abide

As for the expense it is only 500 Baht for the official one year International permit

Edited by alyx

You have got lucky

1) It is not a new trend: Policemen have always required to see the driving licence of the driver (Thai national or international)

2) Don't expect the officers to be that lenient at other checkpoints, or at that one next time: You are the driver and they accept the passenger's driving licence???? : You may not be aware of it but there is only one driving licence for motorcycles (however big/small they are) and , from what I understand, your girlfriend holds a Car's driving licence meaning she is not allowed to drive a bike whatever the CC

It just confirms that they were not looking for a lawbreaker but maybe having a look at your bike, or improving their English skills

If I were you I would carry the National driving licence along with the International driving permit, or at least a photocopy of the second

Edited by alyx