Iphone - Possible Fix For Unwanted Edge Use

Sabum

Recently I once again got a problem with a lot of unwanted edge use on my iphone. My phone bill jumped up an extra 1600 baht ($60) before I got it to stop. In case anyone else gets this problem I'm posting how I fixed it. This is the second time this happened to me.

It's simply an app. Some app you install starts constantly connecting with the internet. If your iphone goes to sleep this automatically turns off wifi so while you sleep for 8 hours... your iphone is connecting to the internet through edge for 8 hours. I systematically started uninstalling apps and finally the edge use stopped. I had so many apps I didn't find out which one does it but this is the second time I've installed some evil app that does this so it's probably a bunch that can do it. I have a sneaking suspicion it is some cydia apps only but I'm not totally sure about that. The last things I uninstalled were a bunch of Cydia apps so.... If it really is only cydia apps then I guess only jailbroken iPhone owners need worry.

If you are wondering why I didn't just change my apn settings or some fix similar to that to stop all edge use it is because I could not, in Thailand using certain carriers (Ais and maybe True?) they have auto settings so changing your settings on your phone does nothing as they are ignored. Sbsettings or boss prefs of course do not work too for this "background" hidden edge leakage. Firewall apps also do not block this background edge use. This stuff is pure evil. s-3.gif

As soon as I uninstalled a certain unidentified app it all stopped. So if you have this problem start uninstalling, starting with cydia apps.

The only way to catch this problem in time is to check your usage regularly after installing new apps. Your carrier should have a small number to dial to get a screen on your iphone telling you your current usage.

There is an app in cydia called boss preferences where edge can be turned off.

I just got an unlimited data plan from true though, 599 baht per month.

Yeah I know all about that, I said earlier that they do not work for this particular problem, the problem of the background edge data leak that certain apps employ. With sb settings set to disable edge I still got charged for 40 hours I did not use. The only answer is to uninstall the offending app or have Ais completely disable edge on your phone permanently.

"Sbsettings or boss prefs of course do not work too for this "background" hidden edge leakage. Firewall apps also do not block this background edge use. This stuff is pure evil. s-3.gif"

Get a monthly edge plan. I pay 999 baht a month for unlimited edge. You may be able to find cheaper though. That way you do not need to worry.

I was told to subscribe to AIS's BlackBerry THB 650,- package and use it with the iPhone.

Anyone having experience with it?

Thanks for feedback. :)

@Sabum I am glad you were able to stop the EDGE bleeding but your description of events is simply wrong.

There's some things you need to to to prevent unwanted EDGE use:

- Turn off Notifications (Prefefences -> Notifications -> OFF)

- Turn off email checking - Preferences -> Mail, then turn off push, and set checking to manual for all accounts. Not just for one, you have to go into each account and set it to check manual.

This is enough if you haven't screwed around with your phone. If you have previously done something to the APN settings, reset them. Leave them all blank, it works.

- If you have any Cydia apps installed, uninstall them - who knows what they can do! You need to go inside Cydia, and uninstall stuff. Or clean install a new system.

Let me explain why this works: The iPhone does not have background apps - that is, 3rd party applications cannot run in the background, unless they're Cydia apps which get around everything because they don't need Apple approval. But normal apps that you get from the app store cannot run in the background if you have Notifications turned off. So when you turn off your phone, and you don't have 3rd party apps, you can sleep safely in the knowledge that nothing can run or connect to the internet on there.

It's also untrue that WiFi is off in sleep mode while EDGE is on - at least with official apps. I guess a Cydia app could run in the background and use EDGE. So maybe that's what it was on your phone Sabum although I have never heard of an app that does this.

Why not just keep it simple and get an unlimited plan?

I got mine from true and pay just 599 baht per month, being in Chiang mai I also get free use of their various WIFI spots dotted around the city which is handy.

If preferred, I'm sure AIS have a similar plan.

Seems pointless having an iPhone if everything's turned off, might as well get a normal phone just for calls...

Nikster: I thought I was very clear, I already assumed it was a cydia app that was leaking and I did uninstall them until I found the one that was doing it. I guess it seemed unclear since I assume everyone is jailbroken and using cydia apps. I'm surprised to find out this is not true. All the other settings you mentioned are useless if you have an app like that on your phone. Not only the settings you mentioned, but actual apps that are meant to shut down edge (sbsettings) do not work. Its not all cydia apps, its just one out of many because I've used cydia apps for 2 years but only got this problem twice temporarily when I installed something that relies on a constant internet connection.

Yes wifi turns off when the phone sleeps, so if you've got a cydia app on your phone that constantly checks internet it resorts to edge.

I'd like to say it again, cydia apps are not bad, some of them I couldn't live without (like being able to reply to an incoming sms WITHOUT having to exit the program I'm in and then reopen it and start over after sending the message). But a few cydia apps I guess assume you have an unlimitted plan and leak constantly. Those are the apps I don't want.

Djk: My phone bill is 400 baht per month, why would I want to raise that to over 1000 baht for an unlimitted plan when I dont actually use internet away from home (at least not over the 30 hours included in my 400 baht plan). For 2 years this has been fine except the 2 times I installed an app that requires constant internet from cydia, my mistake. My iphone does 1000 things a normal phone does not, push email is completely useless to me and unneeded and not a feature of the iphone I value, I'm sure there are many uses I have found that would be useless to you, none of which require an unlimitted plan.

Djk: My phone bill is 400 baht per month, why would I want to raise that to over 1000 baht for an unlimitted plan when I dont actually use internet away from home (at least not over the 30 hours included in my 400 baht plan). For 2 years this has been fine except the 2 times I installed an app that requires constant internet from cydia, my mistake. My iphone does 1000 things a normal phone does not, push email is completely useless to me and unneeded and not a feature of the iphone I value, I'm sure there are many uses I have found that would be useless to you, none of which require an unlimitted plan.

My unlimited plan is 599 baht per month. I used to have the same set up as you but for the reasons you mention it got expensive so I switched to an unlimited plan. It's up to you but for an extra 199 baht per month you could stop worrying about data usage and enjoy your phone. There probably are many uses you've found that would be useless to me, but constantly having to turn things off is a use I can do without for the sake of an extra 199 baht.

However, each to their own, Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by djk

Actually no I dont have to turn things off and on, If I leave push off I'm all set, until I stupidly install a edge sucking maniac app....

I'm on Ais and 400 baht gets me all the minutes I need, all the sms, mms and 30 hours of edge. You are saying you pay a flat 599 to get unlimited AND decent minutes, sms and mms? If so that IS a pretty good deal, but only for True right? Or did you mean 599 for edge PLUS another 600 for your regular package?

Nikster: I thought I was very clear, I already assumed it was a cydia app that was leaking and I did uninstall them until I found the one that was doing it. I guess it seemed unclear since I assume everyone is jailbroken and using cydia apps. I'm surprised to find out this is not true. All the other settings you mentioned are useless if you have an app like that on your phone. Not only the settings you mentioned, but actual apps that are meant to shut down edge (sbsettings) do not work. Its not all cydia apps, its just one out of many because I've used cydia apps for 2 years but only got this problem twice temporarily when I installed something that relies on a constant internet connection.

Yes wifi turns off when the phone sleeps, so if you've got a cydia app on your phone that constantly checks internet it resorts to edge.

I'd like to say it again, cydia apps are not bad, some of them I couldn't live without (like being able to reply to an incoming sms WITHOUT having to exit the program I'm in and then reopen it and start over after sending the message). But a few cydia apps I guess assume you have an unlimitted plan and leak constantly. Those are the apps I don't want.

Agreed, Cydia apps can do anything. Normally when you buy an iPhone it's not jailbroken, Cydia isn't installed, nor are apps - but I guess if you got the phone from a grey importer, and they decided to install tons of stuff for you as a "courtesy" you could end up with EDGE-eating apps you don't even know about.

It just goes to show that some of the restrictions in the App store really are for our own good...

Why buy an iPhone if you are not going to make the most out of it? The one thing that makes the iPhone so great is the Internet applications and programs. Pay an extra 200 baht and make the most out of your phone.

Onnut, read the thread.... I do use internet and make the most of the iphone and do it all for 400 baht, I dont need unlimitted as I have free wifi at home and use less than the 30 hours of edge I get in my package each month when im away. Absolutely no reason to get unlimitted, I still would only use less than 30 hours, it makes no sense to pay more than double what I'm paying now so wish people would stop suggesting it hehe.

Edited by Sabum

There is an app in cydia called boss preferences where edge can be turned off.

I just got an unlimited data plan from true though, 599 baht per month.

my wife runs an iPhone that is NOT jailbroken (no Cydia) and she exprienced this with AIS, I did the same with True (jailbroken and with Cydia) . now I try to load Boss prefs in my to turn off Edge, but im really looking into a solution here. I do not need Cydia, so I might go back to the un-jailbroken iPhone again, but as for the wife iPhone, shes got a shitloads of apps like games etc..

at least stacking connects to interne etc

@Sabum I am glad you were able to stop the EDGE bleeding but your description of events is simply wrong.

There's some things you need to to to prevent unwanted EDGE use:

- Turn off Notifications (Prefefences -> Notifications -> OFF)

- Turn off email checking - Preferences -> Mail, then turn off push, and set checking to manual for all accounts. Not just for one, you have to go into each account and set it to check manual.

This is enough if you haven't screwed around with your phone. If you have previously done something to the APN settings, reset them. Leave them all blank, it works.

- If you have any Cydia apps installed, uninstall them - who knows what they can do! You need to go inside Cydia, and uninstall stuff. Or clean install a new system.

Let me explain why this works: The iPhone does not have background apps - that is, 3rd party applications cannot run in the background, unless they're Cydia apps which get around everything because they don't need Apple approval. But normal apps that you get from the app store cannot run in the background if you have Notifications turned off. So when you turn off your phone, and you don't have 3rd party apps, you can sleep safely in the knowledge that nothing can run or connect to the internet on there.

It's also untrue that WiFi is off in sleep mode while EDGE is on - at least with official apps. I guess a Cydia app could run in the background and use EDGE. So maybe that's what it was on your phone Sabum although I have never heard of an app that does this.

this is the best solution.

• 2 weeks later...

The only way I can halt the loss of GPRS minutes is by doing as they (AIS) advise by setting the APN value.

They suggest setting APN to 'internet' when you want to use the GPRS connection and 'multimedia' when you want to switch off the GPRS connection.

I've found that I just put 'multimedia' in there to stop it and delete the last 'a' when I want to use the internet (i.e. just leave 'multimedi' as the APN). Easier just to type the 'a' back in there to stop GPRS.

Certainly strange. For a long while I never lost any minutes now I have to be careful to add the 'a' to switch off GPRS otherwise the minutes just fade away.

I set the notifications to 'off' and I don't use email on the iphone (too many work related emails would arrive and I can't be arsed with that).

The one personal email account I had on there is switched to 'inactive'.

Don't know what's happening just that it is happening. Still, I don't really mind the quick switch off (although it would be nice to have a switch on the home screen to either jump straight to the APN or a switch to toggle the APN).

Ah well...

• 2 months later...