Apple Macintosh Mini Vs Macbook.

ArthurPewty

It is time to repalce my Macbook of about 3 years. I was looking at the new Macbook because it is what I am replacing when I happened across the new Mac Mini and I started thinking which would offer me the best bang for my book (pun intended).

I know one is more portable than the other, but that is not so important to me anymore.

Any thoughts?

AP.... I've looked into this a bit with my 4 year old MacBook. I am going with the Mini since I can use an external monitor and an external keyboard with no problem. If you don't mind portability, those being external are an advantage as you can replace them if a key gets stuck or if your display starts to fade like my MacBook. An external keyboard and external monitor make it a lot easier to have an ergonomic set up.

All the ports are there including firewire but there is only a single display port. I use an external monitor on my current MacBook in addition to the built-in display and having two displays can really spoil you. Going to the Mini will limit me to a single display which is the biggest disadvantage for me. The Mini is a very nice package, and I would think it would last a long time due to its simplicity. Good luck!

If some portability is required, then the Mini—you'll save some money over an equivalent Macbook.

But if portability is not an issue, then even a low end iMac beats a Mini both in price and features.

A Mac Mini with 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, wireless keyboard and wireless Magicmouse + quality 22-inch LCD monitor (still not as nice as the iMac's LED screen), cheap external camera and cheap speakers comparable to the built-in speakers and camera of the iMac will set you back about 48k.

An iMac with all of the above, a better screen AND a faster processor is 44k Plus the advantage of no wires.

Add a little to the 4k you save and buy a three-year extended warranty for peace of mind.

In CM, only two options: Apple online store where the only deal going is a 1000 baht discount on Mobile me (Apple's webmail and other cloud services) or from iStudio, the Apple dealer with a counter at 3rd Floor Airport Plaza and a shop at the mouth of Sirimankalajarn Rd near Kad Suan Kaew. At iStudio's Sirimankalajarn shop, talk to Peter about any possible freebies.

There are several dealers in BKK you might try. One is called Copperwire—google them.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

quote: "All the ports are there including firewire but there is only a single display port"

from the apple website:

"Mac mini comes with both mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort output ports, so you can connect two displays"

I have been using minis for graphic work and photography, they work fine, and when I want a new one I dont have to pay for a new monitor, keyboard etc.

I usually have itunes, safari, mail and the whole CS3 suite running without a problem.

setup:

Mini, 4 external harddrives, wacom tablet, USB to sound(connected to stereo), printer, scanner, external dvd writer (for copying), mac keyboard and mouse, ipod, card reader.