Working visa guidance

Hi all,

As a new member and having searched the board and read about the pending visa changes I thought it still best to ask for advice!

I am 32 and an English E.U national. I am visiting Thailand for the third time in twelve months (both previous occasions less than 1 month each time) in late December 2003.  

I will be studying at a teaching school for 6 weeks, followed by placement teaching very soon after that.  Could you please advise on the best type of Visa to apply for? I have been informed that a multi entry Visa is best applied for in my native country at the local Thai Embassy via details of my training in Thailand which the school will help with.

Further to this when working for a school I have read that they will then apply to the relevant government department for a work permit/visa for as long as you are teaching?  

Any advice would be appreciated, especially seeing this will roll in to next year when the changes will be implemented, and also any comments on the changes that you see this making to a teacher would also be very interesting.

I would like to add I am not visiting Thailand for part of a 6 or 12 month 'year out holiday' nor to be another troublesome Farang catalyst for genuine expats as I have read so many times in skimming recent posts and have the highest regard for this area of the world. I have no interest in any sordid tourist activities nor wish to travel and conduct oneself with anything less than the utmost respect and professionalism whilst a temporary resident in this country, even if preferably in a longer than normal capacity.

Therefore, any pertinent replies from any of you guys would be very very greatly appreciated.

Warm regards

M.

Check out the Hull consulate website & give them a call, very helpful, much better than the Thailand Embassy in London, ask them what requirements you need to get a Non Immigrant B visa from them, they seem to be more helpful in giving this type of visa than any other place, sometimes they will just require you to be guaranteed by someone in the UK (mum, dad etc). About the rest, don't know sorry & besides, the governement over here don't seem to know either so best to just get here & go with the flow as & when the changes happen ::o:

Thankyou for your replies.  Could you please clarify if it is possible that if granted with the non-immigrant type B visa you mention/recommend that another type visa can be issued via the school of employment applying through the local government office or would an employee still have to hop in and out to remain regardless, thus meaning a maximum stay of 12 months?

Or does it change when a Thai school/university are involved and if say you are working there as long as you wish then as long as they apply correctly for you it becomes an indefinite non-immigrant residence?

Many thanks yet again,

M.