Paramotor Over Phang Nga Bay

motoyen

There are a couple of websites in Thailand for this

They offer the class to teach you how to fly and some sell the equipment as well

No need for a license in Thailand

Google motorized paragliding in Thailand

If you want to see some close up photos check out visualthailand.com under photos/balloon festival

You even see the faces of the pilots, the controls, the motor etc

Very cool

Let's see: Flying into a solid obstacle - think power lines, trees, mountains,... , colliding with a moving object (bird, another plane, chopper) being swept away/into something by strong winds, equipment failure, pilot problems, getting shot at,... etc.

Looks mighty awesome though :)

Is there anything that can go wrong when you are flying one of these things?

:)

I have had wing collapses (folds) which I was able to get out of as I had some altitude.. In higher wind conditions slope soaring you need to be mindful not to get turned into the hill, the sudden speed change as you go with the wind catches people.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an aloof Israeli guy who did some paramotoring above and around western Koh Tao.

He landed one time in a fairly open clearing but nearly ran out of ground and his parachute floated onto a bungalow roof!

It was a tense 10 minutes or so while he gingerly eased his chute down :D

Alas, I later learned the local fat bully-cop on the island confronted him and tore up his papers (from the Thai Air force no less) allowing him to film Thailand for promotional purposes and threw him off the island!

Reminds me of the attitude a few on here have.

EDIT: The cool thing is if the engine prop. fails the parachute allows you to glide on down to the ground safetly :)

Edited by JimsKnight

• 1 month later...