Thai Tourist Guide Arrested With 11.9 Kgs Of Ice Drug

webfact

Perhaps when he is chased by a naked meth addict with machete he will change his mind. Or maybe rear-end by a teen high on something will teach him something.

"rear-end by a teen high on something"

....like alcohol. What other drug do people do which causes them to drive like idiots?

I googled ("naked man" chased machete), along with variations of (speed, ice, drugs) and didn't find anything that fit the description that's been mentioned recently twice in this thread. Are we making up stories in order to hyper-dramatize our cause?

How about mentioning the girl who took too much MSG and sliced her grandparents to slabs of meat with a chainsaw and fed it to the crocs at the zoo. Google it. You won't find it, except right back here.

Using that sort of logic, you could say all suicide bombers drink tea, therefore tea leads to suicide bombings.

No, come on fellows, go ahead and try to make your points, but don't get all creative with graphic episodes flitting out of your psyche.

Hard drugs have bad effects, granted. Many people are mentally weak, like monkeys who keep pressing a button for a sugar pill, until they die. Enticements (shopping, fame, fortune, glamor, acceptance, thrills, etc) plus the fact that people are weak-minded is a bad combination.

Let us, as a society, see what's best for fixing the problem, rather than tossing some of the little guys (mules) to prison for life or death. The current fixes aren't working at all. Let's find a way which works better.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Taxes and profits collected from sales revenue could be put into education and rehabiltation which would help offset the social cost. Savings in law enforcement costs could be used in other areas of law enforcement. Saving from processing criminals could go to ...something else. Instead of building bigger jails, maybe we could try to keep people out of jail....which is not an effective deterent.....

Ahhhh....I see the problem...

the money would go away....

bribes

court officials would be overstaffed

police would be overstaffed

there would be too many lawyers

judges

jails

guards

I always see this sort of argument from people on your side of the coin but I just dont understand how you arrive at this sort of theory, you de-criminalise or legalise all drugs and then suddenly theres this massive saving for the community & an abudance of money and shiney gold to pave the streets with. Somethings missing from the equation for me. You make it legal for people to consume some very dangerous drugs and suddenly all the voilence, death and destruction magically disappears from the knock on areas related to this drug taking. VERY STRANGE ARGUEMENT......Perhaps I should get you to do my tax. :)

It's not that difficult. Take over distribution. Where do you think the money would come from....? Of course it would take some time to realize the impact. But there would be one, and a very positive one, I think. Prohibition is doing very well at controlling the violence, death and destruction.....yeah. Nothing disappears, you redirect the money. I hope you have somebody doing your taxes.

Sadly legalize won't work because it essentially is already legal,

but highly controlled because of it's debilitating dangerousness.

So in what way can this lose 2 to get 8 through method be countered?

On of the few ways coming to mind , though draconian to the nth degree:

Anyone caught with over a kilo of Ice, is given a sentence so harsh,

that even the stupid and utterly desperate decide the deal is no good.

[shall we do the same to any drunk driver causing a death? I'd label anyone that drinks alcohol and drives stupid. Should I wish them a horrid fate too? Or would that say more about me?]

More sniffer dogs and machines, but still the human animal still is in control of them,

and thus subject to the usual human forces and lures.

[Perhaps we should all be forced to go around to give blood daily to prove we are "clean", and walk around butt nekkid so the 'authorities" know we aren't hiding anything in our knickers? In fact, let's ban fatty foods, staying up past dusk, and tar & feather anyone that forgets to brush their teeth and offends with their breath. Repeat bad breathers : the rack.]

Ban anything dangerous or offensive to anyone....

Yeah yeah yeah...you are of course right, and I am of course wrong. Nothing will work, or will be better than the current system....there are no solutions. Glad I live in my world and not yours. You wave demeaning words around like a stick. It must be nice to be so much more intelligent and morally correct than the rest of us. If I had to guess....I would guess you a Bible pounding Christian. I don't think you have the ability to reconsider much. You are right and smart ...and righteous...what is there to reconsider...???? good day sir.

Edited by cdnvic
removed excessive nested quotes

Good write. That guy has no clue about legalizing, taxation, regulation of drugs. Thailand is not equipped AT ALL to deal with the complexity of legalization of drugs. Some in the forum even take example of Holland's legalization of drug use. However, I believe that deals with soft drugs such as marijuana, E, etc.

Perhaps when he is chased by a naked meth addict with machete he will change his mind. Or maybe rear-end by a teen high on something will teach him something.

According to your buddy, they are not that well resourced to deal with the prohibition of drugs either.

My mistake...I wasn't really clued in to the fact that we were talking specifiically Thailand.

Prohibition makes gangsters, and makes them rich. People didn't stop drinking did they?? It keeps prices high, non-taxable, and certain groups of people in control by which ever means seem appropriate to them.

I say it is a system designed to make people rich. Maybe a design flaw...or maybe a design...you decide. It doesn't stop the flow of drugs...that's for sure...unless you are naive enough to think that they bust 90% of what is produced.

I am not all that bent about this. I just don't think the current system is effective or efficient. The world can stay as it is...I am happy with it. :)

And if you are really serious about the "War On Drugs" get the suppliers and quit wasting money and resources on the bottom of the food chain.

Exactly what a member of the Russian Parliament said in the mid 1990s.

The pictures ain't pretty and very sad really.

What's even more sad is that due to the demonizing of ice (and other drugs) there's a great lack of harm reduction when it comes to drug use. You can't stop drug use so governments could do a lot more to inform people how to prevent some of the negative effects so you don't end up with a face like the woman in the picture.

Like what? show pictures of damaged lungs and throats on packs of cigarettes? fat lot of good that does...

I can see it all ready ICE packs being sold at 7-11 with that picture of the woman on the wrapper. Its sad but killing and jail only raise the amount of money the big boss makes. Legalize and then take your government funds and use it to help people who want to change, quit or better their lives. Chose your own destiny don't chose mine for me.

People go to Amsterdam from all over Europe because it is well known that cafe's sell dope (even in cakes) legaly. Can you imagine if Thailand said that all drugs are now legal, the gates would be open to all the wrong types of tourists. An influx of junkies and druggies. Not sure that this would help keep the cost of law and order etc down!

Amsterdam is hardly full of "the wrong types of tourists", nor have they seen an "influx of junkies and druggies." I recall a Thailand with kids selling Thai Sticks on the beach: the sky didn't fall. As far the cost of "law and order" , it is certain not to be more costly than fighting human nature. Your premise is lacking a logical progression and conclusion, because there is none.

If something is legal, there are no "law and order" issues. The drugs are cheap, available, and the tax burden of police, courts, jails, prisons and their guards plummets.

You see what a logical progression and conclusion is now? If Heroin, or Meth were made legal tomorrow, would you use? Of course not. What would change? Huge profits for drug smugglers. Lower tax burdens. Less infringement of personal liberties.

Perhaps these are things you find unimportant.....not all of us do.

My post was in answer to other posts before it, so it wasn't meant to stand alone as a conclusive narrative, just as a comment on the group progression. However, in respect of law and order costs, I was refering to the fact that a lot more people under the influence of mind renting drugs must cause an increase of crime - this was in answer to the stated assumption that if all drugs were legalised then law and order costs would be drastically reduced as the law would no longer be seeking out the (as was) illicit drug industry. Sorry you obviously missed this point, I indeed did not miss the point I was reversing that you tried to spell out for me. In fact, you just reversed my reversal, hence made the same post as a hundred people did before you.

My point about Amseterdam was a subtle one really, I didn't mean to imply that Thailand would become like Amsterdam - I was simply suggesting that people DO go to Amsterdam because ther free availablility of low class (ganga etc) drugs. The inferance being that people too would come here because the drugs are legal and cheap (as is the assumption also made - I also do not really buy this either - since when has this government made anything cheaper!) - this being Thailand, which already attracts a large number of back packers and Moon Party goers, I don't doubt that the attraction would see a boost in holiday makers, but not the kind Thailand is after. If you re unsure what type of tourists Thailand is after, then take a walk through the archives on TV and it will become quite plain.

By the way, I don't see "If something is legal, there are no "law and order" issues" as in anyway logical and thus any conclusion is also flawed. The same statement could be used for every law - is anarchy cheap? Is it desireable? Lower tax burden? Perhaps, if you ignore the increase in medical issues and damage. How much tax does the average Thai pay? Think they would notice? Would I take Meth or Heroine? No, in that you may be correct, but the laws aren't there for me, or you, or any individual (whether they have the will power and common sense to stay away or not). Laws are designed to protect society. So the question is simple - does having availability of non-medicinal mind altering dangerous drugs on the streets constitute a danger to society or a benefit? It is irrelevent if current controls are failing or not, there are only three options: Leave as is, do something else, or give up. Now, that's a logical progression - and I leave the conclusion to you and anyone else reading.

"Huge profits for drug smugglers. Lower tax burdens. Less infringement of personal liberties" Oh, and yes I do find many of those thinmgs unimportant - when compared to the misery, pain and siffering these drugs can bring to individuals and their loved ones - and to the danger to society as a whole. I don't care about how rich someone else is (we call that envy in my book), I still don't agree the tax burden would be less, and investigation of any crime incurs an infringement of privacy.

One further thing. There is an underlying assumpton that legalised drugs would see an end to illicit sales/pushers/etc. I don't buy this for a second. If the drugs are leagalised and taxed, then they will be undersold without the taxes by the drug barrons. The labs of these undesireables will kick out new and improved crap that the government will not be able to keep up with and they will cut it and produce it far cheaper than the government will. The drugs will be be there, and cheaper and more dangerous. So, nothing really changes unless the user is rich enough to buy taxed. Given the amount of untaxed (illegal) cigarettes and perfume on the streets, I don't doubt for a second that the drugs trade will continue. Indeed, this being Thailand, I guess some of the street stock may well be mis-appropriated from the government stock too. As tourists die from badly cut junk and the Government tries to pass the blame on to the illegal industry and as young and foolish back packers OD by accident on government stock, Thailand would become a known as a Sodom of vice, further discouraging the tourists that Thailand is trying to attract.