Understanding A Falung Speaking Thai?

anaorak

Its very annoying.

Getting into a Taxi ask for "sukumvit road" and then get thee "look at the stupid falang smile". Ask for "sukumwwwwwit road, you might make it.

Its difficult to imagine getting into a London cab, and asking for Lichester square and the cabbie not knowing what you mean.

But then Thai's are very stupid.

Lichester square will be easy, but the "Sukumvit road" is about 500 Km long... :o

Patex

I think it is a fair comment. Thai's are stupid, generally speaking. They are poorly educated, lack common sense, ignorant and stuck in their ways. Thais are naive, ignorant, unwilling to accept advice. They have no idea how to offer services, run a business, look after customers etc. There are exceptions, I am generalising here.

I have lived in Manila and then in Bangkok, Based on my experience, I can say that the overall level of intelligence and education is a LOT lower in Thailand. Perhaps some of you English teachers will agree? Or then perhaps you aren't really teachers :o

I think it is a fair comment. Thai's are stupid, generally speaking. They are poorly educated, lack common sense, ignorant and stuck in their ways. Thais are naive, ignorant, unwilling to accept advice. They have no idea how to offer services, run a business, look after customers etc. There are exceptions, I am generalising here.

I have lived in Manila and then in Bangkok, Based on my experience, I can say that the overall level of intelligence and education is a LOT lower in Thailand. Perhaps some of you English teachers will agree? Or then perhaps you aren't really teachers :o

octave,please improve your English, when you say Thai's, what do you mean? You're showing your poor education.

I see your point. But be careful, since all Asian men know martial arts, and will beat you senseless if you point out their tragic racial failings.

That being said, it should be noted that the tonal nature of Thai, from street names to the "tiger vs shirt" example, seems to hold a LOT of sway in Thais comprehending the Thai language. Even with similar sounding words that ONLY have the tonal difference, I've found that screwing up the tone will render your attempts to say the word completely. Thai people just won't comprehend the difference if you mess it up. I couldn't daresay why, but then again, I can only imagine it's hard for any native English (or more Romance languages) speaker to fully internalize the aspects of a tonal language and what effects that may have on your language comprehension skills.

octave,please improve your English, when you say Thai's, what do you mean? You're showing your poor education.

Padant!

Are you defending you position as a cowboy English teacher?

Edited by octave

My guess would be that the Thai doctors deliberately speak in English as a default to try and avoid missunderstandings when explaining a medical condition - easier and safer than trying to assess a Farang's command of the Thai language during a short consultation.

Rags

This is probably true, but there are a lot of farang(not me) who speak better Thai than English, especially those who have been here for 20 years plus.

I think it is very often an ego thing. I know a guy who speaks fluent Thai, is on Thai TV, studied at Uni here in Thailand and has been a resident for 25 years. All Thais say that he speaks thai better than most Thais. He gets this same treatment from doctors. Doctors in Thailand have a big problem with their egos. Have you ever tried questioning one? One doctor offered me Xanax once and said it was not addictive. I put him right, but he practically kicked me out the door. Thai people would NEVER EVER question a doctor's judgement or diagnosis.