Thai Flight From Ubon Forced To Land After Windshield Cracks

webfact

THAI flight from Ubon forced to land after windshield cracks

Ubon Ratchathani - A flight of Thai Airways International from this northeastern province to Bangkok was aborted and the planed had to make an emergency landing after its cockpit's windshield cracked and an engine stopped.

No one was injured when the flight TG0303 made an emergency landing at the Ubon Ratchathani airport shortly after it took off at 9:30 pm.

The captain informed passengers before landing that the windshield cracked and one of the four engines stopped.

THAI sent a special flight to take the stranded passengers from the airport at 10:30 pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The captain informed passengers before landing that the windshield cracked and one of the four engines stopped.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather hear that after we'd landed.

Seconded; apart from that how on earth is it possible that those 2 (completely different) problems occurred at the same moment ? What has an engine that stopped has to do with a cracked window ?

LaoPo

Seconded; apart from that how on earth is it possible that those 2 (completely different) problems occurred at the same moment ? What has an engine that stopped has to do with a cracked window ?

LaoPo

The aircraft on this route must be the newest and best maintained of the whole fleet.

Aeroplane wind shields are made up of several layers of glass and typically the outer layer may crack after say a bird strike - international regulations require pilots of passenger planes to land after a crack appears and doesn't automatically imply that the screen is significantly less safe. The fact that an engine failed also implies that indeed the plane was subject to a bird strike, perhaps.

Edited by chiang mai

LaoPo

maybe that huge bird hit the windshield and then slipped right inside the engine :)

LaoPo

birds - one on window,one in engine

LaoPo

I can report from personal experience that this is the actual state of most of the planes in the Thai Airlines fleet! For some reasons the the TG Management has obviously decided that reducing budgets should extend to maintenance schedule and protocols as well. Sure, a very blunt statement. Here some facts:

-TG 970, BKK - Zurich, 18.12.2009, 7 hours delay due to mechanical problems

-TG 971, Zurich - BKK, 01.01.2010, 7 hours delay due to mechanical problems

I had the pleasure to be on both flights - how are the chances of that? Despite being a gold member for 14 Years, 2010 means another airline for my business travels...

Anyone else?

Edited by Motoon

LaoPo

I can report from personal experience that this is the actual state of most of the planes in the Thai Airlines fleet! For some reasons the the TG Management has obviously decided that reducing budgets should extend to maintenance schedule and protocols as well. Sure, a very blunt statement. Here some facts:

I had the pleasure to be on both flights - how are the chances of that? Despite being a gold member for 14 Years, 2010 means another airline for my business travels...

Anyone else?

I gave up flying Thai years ago. They still don't have in-seat entertainment systems in Economy on many long haul flights. And for the premium price you pay, I don't think it's acceptable.

Happily nor do the competition.

You wouldn't have wanted to have been on BA9 a few decades ago then

Despite the lack of time, Captain Eric Moody made an announcement to the passengers that has been described as "a masterpiece of understatement":

“ Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get it under control. I trust you are not in too much distress. ”

LaoPo

:)

With absolutely no idea what happened, and having not been there anyhow, I would suggest the possibility of "bird strike". That would explain an engine stopping with a bird ingested into the engine, and a strike by another bird on the cockpit windshield. The plane ran into a flock of birds...at least that is possible.

But we'll have to wait until the report comes out with further details.

Until then it's only guessing.

:D

I thought birds do not normally fly around at night although I suppose it is possible there was a flock sleeping in the runway area & were startled by the jet taking off.

:)

Actually, if it is a migrating flock, they often do fly at night. And Thailand is on the S.E. Asia flyway from China south to Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, etc. The flocks fly at night and land during the day in areas where they can feed. Nightime makes no difference to a migrating flock, as they can find their way by the Moon just as well as the Sun. In North America, Geese migrating south from Canada often fly at night. They then land at a marsh or lake area during the day. They can feed and rest...and during the day they can see anyone approaching their feeding area. It's safer that way, for them.

But, the "bird strike" idea is still only conjecture.

:D

That Thai air on some International flights maybe delayed for mechanical problems is as a friend of me says who is a pilot there they order the spare parts from Bangkok and have to wait until the next Thai air will bring them. and then can service and continue the flight.

Thai International, Ubon to Bkk? Something doesn't sound right there.

Was it a Thai International flight that had to divert to Ubon because of the emergency?

Four engines suggest not internal flight.

I have been on a 747 from Bkk to HKT before. Rare but it happens.

Everyone's suggesting birdstrike, why wouldn't that be in the report? It certainly would explain the two seemingly unrelated problems. These Nation reports always give us more questions than they answer. Not including the "why" seems to be the norm fro them. I don't understand that because it's always the most important and interesting bit.

It's also interesting that whoever choose the title decided to put in the window cracking bit, but leave out the engine failure.

Aeroplane wind shields are made up of several layers of glass and typically the outer layer may crack after say a bird strike - international regulations require pilots of passenger planes to land after a crack appears and doesn't automatically imply that the screen is significantly less safe. The fact that an engine failed also implies that indeed the plane was subject to a bird strike, perhaps.

good point

LaoPo

LaoPo

Anyone else?

Few years ago:

Bangkok Airways: Bangkok to Hangzhou in China, a 4 hour flight.

After 5 hours we were back in BKK :D

NOBODY on the plane noticed that we turned around, 1,5 hrs away from destination!

But I noticed that the tv-screen was telling the plane was flying towards BKK (just for 1 minute than they took the screen to off) but I thought it to be an error.

No explanation other than "minor" technical problem. :)

LaoPo

LaoPo

Anyone else?

I gave up flying Thai years ago. They still don't have in-seat entertainment systems in Economy on many long haul flights. And for the premium price you pay, I don't think it's acceptable.

Happily nor do the competition.

Gotta agree with this.

The only things flocking to Thai Air these days are things with their own wings,

and even them not for long....

We saw the aircraft last evening flying really deep over Sisaket. We were on our way to a party with a fresh graduated Steward, working for Thai airways. I was asking him what type that aircraft was, because it flew only about 1000 feet high. Sisaket birds can be dangerous………

Is a pity Thai Airways, once a wonderful airline, now is becoming an Air Zimbabwe-like, but with first class prices, just to allow all the thai VIP to fly for free (government, army, police, etc) and thanks to an inept management

Anyone else?

Dear Mr Jonah,

Just post your future itineraries well in advance here so we can all make sure we avoid the same flights as you. Otherwise we will stick with Thai.

Thanks,

NL

Quoting when replying

eon, fantuzi, animatic, etc.:

Please quote only the part of a post to which you are replying, not complete lengthy posts or even multiple nested posts. From the Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing...

Thank you.

--

Maestro