Thai Flight From Ubon Forced To Land After Windshield Cracks

webfact

From the news article quoted in the OP: flight TG0303 from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok made an emergency landing Ubon Ratchathani airport shortly after it took off at 9:30 pm.

From flightstats.com (www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlightExtendedDetails.do?id=180547122&airlineCode=TG&flightNumber=303)

TG 303 Flight Status

Flight: (TG) Thai Airways International 303

Departure Date: Fri Jan 08, 2010

Route: From (BKK) Bangkok, TH to (RGN) Yangon, MM

Equipment: Airbus Industrie A300-600 Passenger (Scheduled)

Equipment: Airbus Industrie A300-600 Passenger (Actual)

Departure Information

Departure Status Details

Airport: (BKK) Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok, TH

Scheduled: 8:45 AM - Fri Jan 08, 2010

Actual: 8:46 AM - Fri Jan 08, 2010

Arrival information

Arrival Status Details

Airport: (RGN) Mingaladon Airport, Yangon, MM

Somebody somewhere must have got something wrong.

--

Maestro

Everyday airplane windshields crack. it's a "normal" occurrence just as bird strikes are.. Everyday, there are engine problems on aircraft. The other day Swissair had smoke in its landing gear. The 3 big incident causes on aircraft today are; cracked windshields, unruly pax and medical emergency .

I wonder how much longer Thai Air will be with Star Alliance.?

Very good question and I pointed out last week that with the arrival of CO, the presence of the highly regarded SQ and mainstay NH, TG doesn't really do much to feed the Star Alliance. However, if they can let US Airways, the flying toilet, remain a member, I don't see them giving the boot to TG anytime soon.

I actually agreed with the declarative parts of all those posts.

The OP the least, but it set up the other two.

Yes, hitting bird flocks can easily crack a windshield and take out an engine.

...For some reasons the the TG Management has obviously decided that reducing budgets

should extend to maintenance schedule and protocols as well....

....Despite being a gold member for 14 Years,

2010 means another airline for my business travels...

Anyone else?....

Yes, Thai clearly has let maintenance drop far beyond reasonable,

I gave up flying Thai years ago. .....

And for the premium price you pay, I don't think it's acceptable.

Happily nor do the competition.

Yes, they charge way to much for label, and you don't get substance any more.

I agreed with the statements made.

The captain informed passengers before landing that the windshield cracked and one of the four engines stopped.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather hear that after we'd landed.

Seconded; apart from that how on earth is it possible that those 2 (completely different) problems occurred at the same moment ? What has an engine that stopped has to do with a cracked window ?

LaoPo

BIRDS

Thai Air flight from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok uses an Airbus Industrie A300-600/600C....according to their website.

These are two engine planes not four engine planes.

I sometimes wonder what those boys over at "The Nation" are smoking or did the pilot actually believe he had four engines? I think not.

And why wouldn't the authorities just speak the truth if in fact it was a bird strike?

At least no one was hurt in the return landing.

Not much of a write up on AV Herald, but it clearly states the aircraft type and no mention of engine problems. IMO these people are more of an authority on aircraft incidents than the dreaded Nation.

Incident: Thai Airways B734 near Ubon Ratchathani on Jan 8th 2010, cracked windshield

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jan 9th 2010 10:24Z, last updated Saturday, Jan 9th 2010 10:24Z

A Thai Airways Boeing 737-400, flight TG-30 from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani (Thailand) with 115 passengers, was enroute about half way into the flight, when the crew reported a cracked windshield and descended to a lower altitude. The crew continued for a safe landing in Ubon Ratchathani.

A replacement aircraft performed the return flight TG-31 and reached Bangkok with a delay of 3.5 hours.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4257f87f&opt=0

Edited by bdenner

From the news article quoted in the OP: flight TG0303 from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok made an emergency landing Ubon Ratchathani airport shortly after it took off at 9:30 pm.

From flightstats.com (www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlightExtendedDetails.do?id=180547122&airlineCode=TG&flightNumber=303)

TG 303 Flight Status

Flight: (TG) Thai Airways International 303

Departure Date: Fri Jan 08, 2010

Route: From (BKK) Bangkok, TH to (RGN) Yangon, MM

Equipment: Airbus Industrie A300-600 Passenger (Scheduled)

Equipment: Airbus Industrie A300-600 Passenger (Actual)

Departure Information

Departure Status Details

Airport: (BKK) Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok, TH

Arrival information

Arrival Status Details

Airport: (RGN) Mingaladon Airport, Yangon, MM

Somebody somewhere must have got something wrong.

--

Maestro

That flight should be

TG;303;BKK;RGN;08:00;08:45;134567;AB6

TG;303;BKK;RGN;08:00;08:45;2;AB6

TG;304;RGN;BKK;09:50;11:45;134567;AB6

TG;304;RGN;BKK;09:50;11:45;2;AB6

Flightstats isn't exactly a reliable flight soursce

you have to remember that Thai Air took a big financial hit with the airport problems and repercussions.

Maintenance always is the big loser.

But none of that has anything to do with a plane that experienced a bird strike so not relevant at all!

Thai International, Ubon to Bkk? Something doesn't sound right there.

Was it a Thai International flight that had to divert to Ubon because of the emergency?

Four engines suggest not internal flight.

From Wickipedia: or how dumb some posters can be :)

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (Thai: การบินไทย)(SET: THAI) (abbreviated here to "Thai") is the national air carrier of Thailand, operating out of Suvarnabhumi Airport, and is a founding member of the Star Alliance network. It is headquartered in Bangkok.[3] Thai is a major shareholder which hold 39% shares of Nok Air - a low-cost Bangkok based carrier.

It's not the first time it's happened. From a reliable news source.

Two local lads were off on their holidays, flying from Ubon to BKK, ten minutes into the flight the pilot announces that there was an engine failure, but there was no cause for alarm, as they still had three good engines and it was only one and a half hours to touch down, Somchai said to Daeng “I don’t like the sound of that” but Daeng told him not to worry as there were still three good engines, ten minutes pass and another announcement from the captain, “we have had another engine failure but don’t worry as we still have two good engines but our time to touch down has been extended by an hour due to the extra strain on the engines”, Somchai once again airs his worries, and once again Daeng comforts him, another ten minutes pass and the captain is on the intercom again, “sorry but we have lost another engine, but there is no cause for alarm but we won't be landing for another 5 hours due to the stress on out remaining engine”, once again Somchai shows his concern and Daeng tries to console him but Somchai won’t settle this time, so Daeng says “what’s the problem”, to which Somchai replies “well if the other engine goes, we’ll be up here all night”.

"The captain informed passengers before landing that the windshield cracked and one of the four engines stopped."

A four engine aircraft flying to Ubon? That would mean either a 747 or A340. To Ubon???

Thai frequently uses 747's on the Chiang Mai/Bangkok run, I think it's all about aircraft positioning rather than a concious desire to use 747's for that leg - sometimes they can be full and at other times, really quite empty.

While we are in the mood for wild conjecture, how about a pair of suicide-dive-bombing bald-headed-eagles, smuggled in from New York and trained in subversive arts by restless Pattani locals, secretly funded by the pink shirts - a shady cabal consisting of disgruntled transsexual airline czars from an unnamed South-east Asian country.

One of the eagles was called Thaksin, and had telecom transmitters in its beak, broadcasting the show to the party faithful.

Mystery solved. Do I get a pen or t-shirt?

Seconded; apart from that how on earth is it possible that those 2 (completely different) problems occurred at the same moment ? What has an engine that stopped has to do with a cracked window ?

LaoPo

It might have to do with crappy maintenance. Ever wondered why every year a few military aircrafts and helicopters fall from the Thai skies?

What's all this fuss and conjecture?

The windscreen cracked, the plane descended to a lower altitude and made a safe landing. A replacement aircraft was sent to complete the return sector since the one with the cracked window wasn't serviceable. I don't see that passenger safety has been compromised by Thai Airways actions in this instance. Windows at the pointy end of planes crack frequently and not always because something hit it.

The debate about the dubious 'fact' that the pilot is alleged to have turned off an engine the plane doesn't even have is bloody funny IMHO. Thanks for the wheeze chaps!

Edited by NanLaew

budget cuts and ejection seat not working. Some planes in the RTAF are like 20-25 years old? I read somewhere that a pilot flew in a jet that his father used to fly with :)

And a couple of the R1 Nimrods of 51 Squadron at RAF Waddington have been in service since 1974.

LaoPo

I can report from personal experience that this is the actual state of most of the planes in the Thai Airlines fleet! For some reasons the the TG Management has obviously decided that reducing budgets should extend to maintenance schedule and protocols as well. Sure, a very blunt statement. Here some facts:

-TG 970, BKK - Zurich, 18.12.2009, 7 hours delay due to mechanical problems

-TG 971, Zurich - BKK, 01.01.2010, 7 hours delay due to mechanical problems

I had the pleasure to be on both flights - how are the chances of that? Despite being a gold member for 14 Years, 2010 means another airline for my business travels...

Anyone else?

Recently, I flew TG from Bangkok to Australia and back. Both flights were non eventful, but the initial flight I was booked on coming back was canceled due to a technical problem with the Airbus 340. I am thankful they found out about this on the ground instead of in the air. One of their ground staff said that given TG flies 3 flights a day into and out of Sydney, Thai's record is quite good compared to some of the other international carriers.

Just how common is flight cancellations due to technical problems with other international carriers?

I was wondering about that as well.. TG 0303 is a Rangoon to Bangkok Flight. It seems that being diverted all the way to Ubon is rather unusual. Anyone care to clarify this?

Thai International, Ubon to Bkk? Something doesn't sound right there.

Was it a Thai International flight that had to divert to Ubon because of the emergency?

Four engines suggest not internal flight.

To answer many of the questions here. The Thai famous website Pantip.com suggests that there are many strange stuff about this report. First, TG never uses 747 to Ubon. They do on some Phuket/Chiang Mai routes but not Ubon.

One of the posters said something about Star Alliance booting TG out. This is impossible. TG along with 4 other airlines are the founding members of Star Alliance and according to the memorandum, these five airlines will not be kicked out or voted against by any other members. If I remember it right, it was Thai Airways, SAS (SAS has a special relationship with Thai Airways long time ago. Star Alliance began when SAS and Thai Airways decided to do the world's first code-share flight or something), ANA, Lufthansa and United.

And again, Thai International is the same as Thai Airways nowadays. It was decades ago when Thai Airways and Thai International were two separate companies.

Hope this helps answering some of the questions.

budget cuts and ejection seat not working. Some planes in the RTAF are like 20-25 years old? I read somewhere that a pilot flew in a jet that his father used to fly with :)

And a couple of the R1 Nimrods of 51 Squadron at RAF Waddington have been in service since 1974.

Departing from the original topic, but possibly worth a mention too re old serviceable aircraft........Recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of my very first flight (1959 as Royal Air Force cadet in UK in 2 seat Chipmunk trainer). Have been delighted to find that the exact plane is still in full working order and flying at a flying school in New Zealand -- verified by my flight log, aircraft serial no, photos and video.

The captain informed passengers before landing that the windshield cracked and one of the four engines stopped.

LaoPo

:) Depends on how big the part was that the engine threw into the windshield!

LaoPo

A flock of bird's can do this; two unrelated incidents can occur though! I'm surprised that a 4 engined jet was used on this route & the frankness of the captain.

Departing from the original topic, but possibly worth a mention too re old serviceable aircraft........Recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of my very first flight (1959 as Royal Air Force cadet in UK in 2 seat Chipmunk trainer). Have been delighted to find that the exact plane is still in full working order and flying at a flying school in New Zealand -- verified by my flight log, aircraft serial no, photos and video.

I was on the Chippy mid life update in 1974 at 60MU!

Edited by peecee

Interesting...my first flight was also in a Chipmunk, but in 1965.

And the RAF VC10 aircraft I worked on in 1970 are still in service.

There is nothing unsafe about properly maintained old aircraft.

Except fast jet's with reheat (fire integrity)!