Prakanong Too Far?

mrpinknz

I know of a couple of brand new buidlings on Pridi 14 for rent. Depending on the floor, big 1 bedroom for 15k (70 sqm) and two beds (100+ sqm) 23-26k a month.

I stayed in this soi during 1984-86, right at the end next to Klong Prakhanong before they cut a new road near to the expressway. But it is 3 km to BTS Prakhanong.

Let's see it takes me 5 mins by bike to the bts. coming home I can take bike 5 mins or grab a taxi 8 mins. 5 mins from Jusco to my house. Coming from BTS onnut if you want to stop at Lotus on the way home its 10 mins by taxi as you take the short cut near ram intra entrance.

Bike ride to mouth of soi 14 (2-3 mins) and took over 20 mins just for my direct bus (no. 115) to pass through the traffic light at mouth of soi 71 during 7.30-8.30am. I worked at Bangrak area back in those days - constructing the Shangri-La hotel.

I live at the khlong end and when I worked in Asoke, a bike and bus ride would get me there in 20 minutes.

My gf lives in a 3k a month concrete box condo by the market. I bit gritty round there but always felt safe. Plenty of street food and 2 7-11s about 10m apart... The noisy mosque was the downside.

Crossing the road can be a challenge round there. I hope they build an elevated walkway as far as the market to allow easier access to the station for the whole area, but I don't see it happening.

Yes, termites are common in projects over 5 years old. That's why I am spending nearly Bt1600 per sqm on termite resistant parquet from Leowood for the bedroom floor, not those Bt600 per sqm laminate flooring also found commonly in quite a few new projects.

Floors in living, dining and pantry area are 60x60cm high gloss ceramic.

We seemed to notice them coming from the ceiling, actually. Well, the wood paneling/trim around the ceiling. The flooring didn't seem to have much to do with it. I just got tired of finding them in my closet, and we were unhappy with some other things about the condo, so we got out of there after our lease was up!

Were you staying in a unit on the first floor? They are popular with farangs, being next to the pool deck. But these units have a problem with high humidity due to the plants and soil around the pool deck.

I refurbish the whole unit, replacing all interior elements and renovated the bathroom, door panels, all M&E system and add in a ELCB for tenant's safety.

Nope, we were on the top floor...with a cement roof.

Ah...leaky concrete flat roof, moisture penetration and a damp humid space above false ceiling. Termites strive in dark humid space with wood derivatives (gypsum boards). I turned down offers for units on the top and first floors due to problem with moisture. Two of my units are on the 6th (out of 8) floor, and this 3rd unit is on the 4th floor. Stayed here myself for 11 months now.

I stayed in this soi during 1984-86, right at the end next to Klong Prakhanong before they cut a new road near to the expressway. But it is 3 km to BTS Prakhanong.

Let's see it takes me 5 mins by bike to the bts. coming home I can take bike 5 mins or grab a taxi 8 mins. 5 mins from Jusco to my house. Coming from BTS onnut if you want to stop at Lotus on the way home its 10 mins by taxi as you take the short cut near ram intra entrance.

Bike ride to mouth of soi 14 (2-3 mins) and took over 20 mins just for my direct bus (no. 115) to pass through the traffic light at mouth of soi 71 during 7.30-8.30am. I worked at Bangrak area back in those days - constructing the Shangri-La hotel.

I live at the khlong end and when I worked in Asoke, a bike and bus ride would get me there in 20 minutes.

You probably got to the office before 7.30am or after 9am... :) to enjoy a bus ride of only 20 mins.

Ok, you had good explanations for the 1st and 8th floors....let's see if you can solve this mystery. :) Two of my friends lived in a different tower, on the 5th floor. She had termite problems too. Reason?

Space above false ceiling of the bathroom is another potential source of moisture and gypsum boards due to leaks from floor above. Open up the false ceiling there and you can spot the trails of the termites.

That is why, I do complete refurbishment of my 2nd hand condo units, remove and replace ceiling, floor, built-in cabinets and pantry, door frames and panels, and replace all M&E system, to avoid having such problems.

Here are photos of one of my unit in Sukhumvit 24 before and after refurbishment:

post-77843-1263212837_thumb.jpg

post-77843-1263212913_thumb.jpg

Edited by trogers

It's probably cheap and it isn't too far away, but from walking around there, I wouldn't want to live near Soi Pridi. It's a poor area.

Exactly MrHammer, I live on Pridi next to 20-40 million baht houses. Oh the poverty.

And I go drink sangsom in the 100 baht an hour karaokes on Pridi. What's your point? I live right next to a slum. It's like that everywhere in Bangkok, with few exceptions. Most of Pridi looks low income housing to me. I actually considered moving there, but didn't like the area.

Nothing wrong with Pridi. There are some very nice houses in some of the Sois. I lived there for over a year, and nearly moved back last year into a house on Soi 14 - before taking a different property. Lots of good food places around that area, and it is close to the BTS. Only real problem there is the traffic at certain times of the day.

Edited by mrtoad

I think soi On Nut is more appealing than Pridi - more food places, less traffic and just somehow looks less dingy. Best thing about Pridi or Phra Kanong area is M Coffee shop at the bottom of the BTS which has absolutely excellent food and coffee every single time. Other than that, I'd vouch for On Nut area with more to do and some nice sois (soi 81 and 52 especially). A multitude of good value places to stay too and more and more being built. Take a walk down the two sois I mentioned as well as 79.

I rent two 1 bdr apartments with full kitchens, adsl, Platium UBC, air-con, etc. on Pidi 26, less than 20,000 a month. I have been here for six years..no complaints. Several fresh markets close by, great neighbors, close to BTS, and I love riding through the back soi's on my motorcycle to do my errands.

-O

Soi 71 is a pretty good soi on which to live. I rent a house in one of the lower number sub-sois and it's very quiet - I've lived there for a year or so. Lots of good condos around by the looks of it, although the OP's 25K for a smallish 2-br strikes me as a bit pricey.

Pros:

• Really easy to get to/from airport if your travel overseas a lot
  • Easy to get to/from BTS Phrakhanong by motorbike (I sometimes walk home - it's about 15 mins)
  • JUSCO is a pretty good supermarket; Phrakhanong wet market is not bad
  • Plenty of eats (good Vietnamese restaurant in Pridi 15, too)
  • Easy access to Sukhumvit / Ekamai / Phetburi Rd
  • St Andrews School is in Soi 71
  • Nigerian and Nepali Embassies are in Soi 71 (okay, scraping the barrel a bit now)

Cons:

• Like everywhere, traffic can be terrible (learn the shortcuts)
  • Lots of mosques - no problem with that per se, but maybe you wouldn't want to live next door unless the 5 am prayer call coincides with your time to get up

Go for it.