How To Say 'just Looking' In Thai

holidaze

phonetically: doo choie choie

Njce to know but just have to learn th pronounsiation as we know there are many (makes a fun time) so in between learning I`ll still have to do the act of puting up one hand to my eyes (just looking) :)

That has worked for me every day for five years, so don't worry.

I frequently use 'doo gone'.

Am i wrong?

Up-country, you are absolutely correct, though it sounds slightly abrupt by itself so you might want to dress it up a little, e.g.:

kor doo gone krub

ขอดูก่อนครับ

villagefarang, go back and read the thread again a little more carefully. The #2 post answered the question, followed up by a rendering into Thai script at post #10. ดูเฉยๆ is a perfectly good idiomatic translation of the phrase.

villagefarang, go back and read the thread again a little more carefully. The #2 post answered the question, followed up by a rendering into Thai script at post #10. ดูเฉยๆ is a perfectly good idiomatic translation of the phrase.

The point is, that if you translate "just" and "looking" literally, as farangs often do, you wouldn't get anything near what a Thai would say. I was pointing out that all the translations were indeed idiomatic and not literal. If you go back and read again a little more carefully you might pick up on that.

The point is, that if you translate "just" and "looking" literally, as farangs often do, you wouldn't get anything near what a Thai would say. I was pointing out that all the translations were indeed idiomatic and not literal.

Reminds me of an English friend of mine in Spain who went to a garden shop and asked for "fencing". The shopkeeper was totally confused.

the mai pen rai response with a smile is one of my most used responses in daily interaction. its an easy, polite and effective way to dismiss someone or something.

however, i would have to agree that "doo cheey cheey" is the better response for the OP

The point is, that if you translate "just" and "looking" literally, as farangs often do, you wouldn't get anything near what a Thai would say. I was pointing out that all the translations were indeed idiomatic and not literal. If you go back and read again a little more carefully you might pick up on that.

i'm confused. all you asked for in your original post was how to say "just looking". did you not get the answer you were looking for?

villagefarang was just making an observation about the nature of translation, apparently. That is, one does not translate literally but idiomatically. Not sure that needed to be pointed out, but I believe that was the intent of the post.

Depends on the situation but for example if you're browsing a rack of clothes and the assistant starts shoving stuff in your face, it's annoying but you don't want be rude so to be a little more polite: ขอดูเท่านั้น - I just want to look/(please) let me look

Edited by hiero

On a related note. Before you start just looking, I think the shop girl may say ถามได้ค่ะ or ทำได้ค่ะ Can do? Can ask? It is a trivial, but

just bugs me a little I can’t tell. Which one is it? or maybe it’s neither.