Can I Get Zopiclone/zimovane/imovane In Bkk?

lukeyluke

Hello,

I used to live in Bangkok, so I know the ropes fairly well with regards to getting drugs both over and under the counter. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard (or easy) it is to get sleeping pills that go by the name of ZOPICLONE, where I now live in China.

Some other names of the same drugs are:

Zileze

* Zimovane - United Kingdom

* Zimovane, Zileze, Zimoclone, Zopitan, Zorclone - Ireland

* Imovane and Rhovane - Canada

* Imovane - Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Poland, Finland, Sweden and Brazil.

* Alchera, Imovane, Z-Dorm, Zopimed, Zopivane - South Africa

* Imozop - Denmark

* Limovan - Spain

* Ximovan, Stilnox – Germany

Imovane

Thanks! :)

You will find that Stilnox is actually Zolpidem, which normally comes in 10mg tablets and is a different drug, whereas Zopiclone comes in 3.75mg or 7.5mg tablets. I'm not sure though about the availability of it over in China, but i had in the past struggled to get it over the counter here in Thailand. Strange considering some of the other stuff that is readily available over the counter. You could let me know where you got in BKK though. :)

Hey,

Thanks for the tip on Zolpidem. Is it a similar kind of drug? Sounds like it by the name!

They always frown at you in pharmacies in China, even if you are just buying aspirin! Often they will try to sell you some traditional Chinese medicine instead. They obviously don't quite get the point! hehe

Had never heard of Zopiclone until I came to China in 2006, when it was very easy to get. Now they are tightening up on a lot of things now and only the smaller, dodgy Chemists have it.

I used to get zanax in a little Chemist on Silom Rd near A and F travel, although, that was getting hard to find when I left actually - not sure if that's the case now.

Cheers! :)

Both Zolpidem and Xanax are controlled substances in Thailand now. Legally a vailable only on doctor's prescription, and only pharmacies with a special license can fill such prescriptions. That would be all hospital pharmacuies but only a few of others.

Zopiclone and zolpidem are the exact same thing. Zolpidem is the generic name for this medication, also sold under the various brand names listed in the first post.

I don't know about mainland China, but it is prescription only in Hong Kong. I would expect the same to be true on the mainland.

Zopiclone and zolpidem are the exact same thing. Zolpidem is the generic name for this medication, also sold under the various brand names listed in the first post.

Sorry Sheryl, on that part you are wrong. Yes they are both "Z" drugs and are used to treat insomnia, but they are not the same drug. Zopiclone is often known as Zimovain, whereas Zolpidem is more often than not called Ambien or Stilnox amongst others. You will also notice that there is a difference in the dosage. Zopiclone 3.75mg to 7.5mg, whereas Zolpidem is 5- 10mg.

My understanding is that the former Zopiclone is not licensed in the USA, whereas the later Zolpidem is.

Sorry Sheryl, on that part you are wrong. Yes they are both "Z" drugs and are used to treat insomnia, but they are not the same drug.

:) I stand corrected, and thank you Mr Toad

The OP stated it was the same and I just took his woprd for it, should have checked.

They are in fact different.

• 4 months later...

"Zopiclone, (brand name Imovane in Canada, and Zimovane in the UK) is a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic agent used in the treatment of insomnia. In the United States, zopiclone is not commercially available[1], although its active stereoisomer, eszopiclone, is sold under the names Lunesta (see History). Zopiclone is a controlled substance in the United States, Canada, Japan, Brazil and some European countries, and may be illegal to possess without a prescription.

Zopiclone is known colloquially as a "Z-drug". Other Z-drugs include zaleplon (Sonata) and zolpidem (Ambien and AmbienCR) and were initially thought to be less addictive and/or habit-forming than benzodiazepines. However, this appraisal has shifted somewhat in the last few years as cases of addiction and habituation have been presented. It is recommended that zopiclone be taken on an "as needed" basis. Daily or continuous use of the drug is not usually advised.[2] While it acts on the same benzodiazepine receptors as the benzodiazepine family of drugs it is not classed as a benzodiazepine (with which it shares a number of characteristics and effects) due to its differing molecular structure." source wiki

Stilnox/ambien is a good sleeping med, however no sleeping med should be used long term. Rohypnol is also known in the US as the date rape drug for its sedative main effect and amnesiac side effects.

Not to sound preachy, but sleeping meds can hide problems that should be addressed. Unless I missed that you are using this drug for long haul flights and therefor not regularly, then just be aware that bizarre sleep walking behavior is sometimes seen with Ambien and similar "new" sleeping meds.

kdf