Udonthani / Bangkok

marshbags

I,m flying down to B.Kok in the next few days to visit the British Embassy.

Two questions please.

As there is an option of flying to Suk. and D. Maung

Which airport is best for onward travel to the B. Embassy, taxis and other modes ?

Any advance and helpful advice re changing a water damaged passport would be appreciated.

I intend to go down on the early morning flight and stay for a couple of days to allow for any unseen situations.

Thanks in advance for any input.

marshbags :)

I'd go to Suvarnabhumi with only a small bag.

You can then catch public bus #552 from the transport centre to On-Nut skytrain station and then the skytrain to Phloen-Chit and the Brit Embassy is only a 250-300 metre walk away.

Will cost 35 baht and 30 baht.

Edited by knocka

I agree that flying into Suvarnabhumi is probably best, but there really isn't a lot in it.

Don't forget that a new passport takes about ten working days so you need to factor that in. Unless you need to travel to Bangkok you can apply by post, though you have to rely on the Thai postal system, though EMS is pretty secure.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/passport...ing-in-thailand

I agree that flying into Suvarnabhumi is probably best, but there really isn't a lot in it.

Don't forget that a new passport takes about ten working days so you need to factor that in. Unless you need to travel to Bangkok you can apply by post, though you have to rely on the Thai postal system, though EMS is pretty secure.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/passport...ing-in-thailand

Thanks for your input t.o.g. and also knocka.

That is what I thought when reading the subject matter re replacements.

I emailed them to confirm it and also the Pattaya Consulate as I fancied incorparating a short break there.

In the case of a water damaged passport you must either go to B.Kok or C.Mai to physically change it. ????

A ball ache but if that,s the requirement then I must go to one or the other, I reckon B.Kok is best for me.

I did post on another thread re a water damaged passport, but thought it best to open a new thread to generate new interest.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Passport-t32...57#entry3253357

Posts 27,29,31. in my particular case.

I,m going to stay overnight and use a day to check out P.Plaza.

Maybe stay near to the sky train over the rail crossings as it,s near the motorway also.

Thanks again

Edited by marshbags

Don't forget you will need to supply new passport pictures for the new passport and these must be less than 3 months old and up to the required very high standard. Inside the Wave Place mall opposite the Embassy on Wireless, there's a ground floor Fuji (I think) photo shop that can do this to the required standards. They are very, very picky about the age and quality of passport pictures so get that done before you submit the replacement application.

My advice is to personally submit the application as it will be verified if acceptable on the spot. You can opt (and pay extra for) the EMS return delivery system to save a return trip (in 10 days) and its very reliable.

Don't forget you will need to supply new passport pictures for the new passport and these must be less than 3 months old and up to the required very high standard. Inside the Wave Place mall opposite the Embassy on Wireless, there's a ground floor Fuji (I think) photo shop that can do this to the required standards. They are very, very picky about the age and quality of passport pictures so get that done before you submit the replacement application.

My advice is to personally submit the application as it will be verified if acceptable on the spot. You can opt (and pay extra for) the EMS return delivery system to save a return trip (in 10 days) and its very reliable.

Thanks for this information NL and especially the location of the photo shop, should my photo,s be deemed unacceptable.

Also to Mr. T for his recent experience which if based on todays rates, is indeed even more costly, exchange wise.

I,m having difficulty downloading the C1 form and will probably have to do it at the embassy so hope it doesn,t delay me to much queue wise.

What were the latest fees Mr. T. as I want to give them the exact amount of Baht as required.

I,m still undecided on which, but noticed the fess are... 32-PAGE 7,221 baht and 48 Page 8,729 baht plus the 100 baht for EMS.

( this works out at 58 to the £ so I,d like think they have reduced it somewhat as it,s presently at 52 to the £ ) and makes it even more expensive than it should be )

This would add another £17 to the fee for every replacement. ???

When multiplied by x amount of applicants they would be on a good thing, profit wise.

Thanks again

Edited by marshbags

I went to the B.Embassy and was very pleased with the friendliness of everyone.

The staff where courteous and helpfull, especially the lady who did my application.

The only thing wrong was my passport photo,s which unfortunately were to small.

I was directed across the road to the photoshop that NL had recommended.

They did the new photo,s and charged me 200 baht for 6, which I was very pleased with.

The officer couldn,t have been more helpful as she told me to leave my luggage in a position were she could keep an eye on it while I nipped across the Soi and also told me to go back to her position when I returned.

She kept my paperwork for me also and put my application on hold.

The price for a 48 page version was 8,729 plus 100 for the EMS.

It will be sent to my specified address on the 27 / 28th of January, she also kindly informed me.

I got a taxi from D.M. direct to the embassy and was charged the standard 400 baht rate inclusive of 2 toll fees, as I was for the return trip also.

( I made several enquiries during my stay in B.kok and everyone quoted the above fare. )

I was really pleased all round and well satisfied.

Regarding myself the Embassy staff really impressed me and what a difference to my previous encounters of times gone by.

Kudos are well deserved and a big thank you is in order. :)

marshbags :D

P.S.

Double check your paper work and in particular make sure the photo,s are the required size and not as in my case what turned out to be ID sized.

Edited by marshbags

• 2 weeks later...

I received my renewal on the 25-01-10 and note it was posted on Friday the 22cnd.

I was really surprised, yet pleased to get it so quickly.

I took a chance and went to N.Khai on Tuesday because even though I,m now under the Udon Immigration office, the relevant information ( r. visa ect. was issued there.

They agreed with my thoughts and put stamps in my new passport.

A couple of positives I,d like to post are that a very nice, friendly lady officer dealt with my enquiry a good 20 minutes before the actual start time of 08.30.

She noted that I actually live in Udon and asked me to wait for the senior officer.........Oh dear I thought ?

When she arrived information was passed between them and she noted I,d come from Udon ect. also.

I explained that I had been issued with my renewals there and she allowed me to get new entries put into my passport ( as my old one was damaged and not user friendly anymore for reference purposes. )

I was provided with a stamp covering my initial entry to Thailand to replace my O visa in the damaged p/port going back to 2003 plus an incoming stamp to compliment this entry of the same date and my mode of transport.....air

I was also given an entry stamp to cover my last incoming return to Thailand last year to cover my leaving requirements.

A retirement stamp from my date of application and issue and last of all replacement re entry stamp I,d purchased for permission to leave the kingdom.

My TM card was damaged but still usable so it wasn,t replaced.

My photo copies came in very useful and were appreciated and if I may once again offer this advice, please make sure you have a set as you never know when they may come in useful for back up ect.

I had to pay a grand total of 15 baht for 3 photo copies of the new info in my passport, plus the above stamps.

Not bad as the going rate is usually 10 baht per copy.

I was in the office just over 70 minutes, of which 20 were took up waiting for the senior officer to arrive and be consulted and the completing of a change of passport form.

A personal and sincere thank you to both the officers was gratefully given to both of them.

While the senior officer can easily be taken as being abrupt at times, she was very helpful on this occasion.

I tend to judge the authorities / Immigration on their assistance and in this case it was very positive and much appreciated.

P.S.

There is now a machine installed just outside the office on the left hand side to replace the card system for those not aware of it. :D

Edited by marshbags