Shocking Conversation...at Least To Me

phetaroi

A friend with Indian friends is visiting, so I met them yesterday for lunch. Nice little restaurant on the river in between the two main bridges near Sanam Luang.

Then they wanted to go to a top notch shopping mall, so we headed for Paragon. The taxi driver was very talkative. Started with the typical "Where you from" routine, although he couldn't quite get his mind around me living here. I asked where he was from and he replied Loei. "Ohhhhh. So are you a red shirt?" That only confused him, but I eventually said, "You like Khun Taksin". His response was chilling. No, not unfriendly at all...in fact he wanted to talk about it.

"Now all Thai people are poor because of Abhisit. We all live just like the people in Burma. Khun Taksin love poor people and Issan people."

I was stunned by just how brainwashed some of these people are to think that their government and living conditions are suddenly equivalent -- under Abhisit -- to the Burmese junta.

How can there ever be reconciliation under these kinds of mis-impressions?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard similar views several times up here from farming people . Hard to say wether its a minority or majority view. It is a simple view and I suppose easy to understand. under taksin they had money, now they don't. Same , Same me. :)

I Blame the Global Economic Meltdown , they Blame Abhisit. Nothing short of them striking Gold or Oil is going to change that mindset.

"How can there ever be reconciliation under these kinds of mis-impressions?"

The world is rife with ignorance and misperceptions, and it's not your job to change it. Your should learn to tolerate it, without comment.

The taxi driver's reference to Burma was a metaphor for poverty more than a commentary upon politics (although it is a fact that in both countries the nascent shoots of democracy have been uprooted by the military).

Additionally his "Taksin loves the poor" is a fair enough position for a Thai elector to take. What better champion than Taksin have rural poor Thais had within the last 20 years?

Your post suggests that it may possibly be you rather than the taxi driver who has been the victim of brainwashing. The fact that a number of farangs and Bangkok Thais repeatedly chant a "Taksin = evil" mantra does not mean that it is so.

Current Abhisit government was appointed against people's vote by the Privy Council that is composed by Thai military. So Thailand is currently ruled by the military same same as Burma.

They still haven't succeeded in making Thai people as miserable as the Burmese. But just give them time and you shall see your taxi driver was not so wrong.

You shouldn't be surprised. His party still got 35% of the vote in the last election, even after everything he'd done. There are less supporters now, but the holdouts that remain will believe every bit of propaganda that is written in 'Truth Today'. There is no arguing with the true believers that are left.

Whats so shocking about some people liking Thaksin ? the only thing shocking to me is how many tv'ers seem to know so much about thai politics and the rural thai peoples problems. Yes thaksin was corrupt, but name me one thai politician who isnt filling his bank account from the public coffers. I am not on one side or the other but thaksin actually did some good things for the poor in this country unlike most of the politicians running the country now and that is where the loyalty you see comes from.

I have to agree that the braiwashed one here is you. People seem to forget that Thaksin was democratically elected prime mnister. He may have been corrupt to a degree but that is par for the course throughout Asia. Just because the poor people of Thailand like and want Thaksins return doesnt make them stupid nor brainwashed.

If you look to what the Labour party as done to the UK over the last 12 years and then see just how many fools still vote for them come election time it may help you understand democracy.

Unfortunately, for the PAD, their "campaign" platform was too simple: The (little) people of Thailand are too stupid to vote for the right party (the PAD)! This stand has pretty much made it impossible for the PAD to ever win an election.

The little people may be stupid, but they will have a long memory!

Thaksin did what the previous government and subsequent governments haven't... bribe the people with their own money. It really is quite a simple solution, but the previous government was too stupid to realize it. The vast majority of rural people are ill informed and poorly educated. All they can really see is a handout, and Thaksin gave them that. Give someone who is ignorant a handout and they'll be your friend for life.

Thaksin did what the previous government and subsequent governments haven't... bribe the people with their own money. It really is quite a simple solution, but the previous government was too stupid to realize it. The vast majority of rural people are ill informed and poorly educated. All they can really see is a handout, and Thaksin gave them that. Give someone who is ignorant a handout and they'll be your friend for life.

Yep he pretty much did that good tactic of him, cant blame the people for liking him. Smart of him to play it this way and steal a lot for himself.

Whats so shocking about some people liking Thaksin ? the only thing shocking to me is how many tv'ers seem to know so much about thai politics and the rural thai peoples problems. Yes thaksin was corrupt, but name me one thai politician who isnt filling his bank account from the public coffers. I am not on one side or the other but thaksin actually did some good things for the poor in this country unlike most of the politicians running the country now and that is where the loyalty you see comes from.

Chuan leekpai, who preceeded Thaksin, is responsible for paying off the IMF ahead of shedule and cautiously getting the economy back on track.

He was, however, too cautious and not nearly flamboyant enough for the thai people, who unfortunately once again opted for style over substance. He remains today an acerbic wit and very vocal member of the opposition.

Tellingly, almost immediately after being elected. Khun Thaksin became embroiled in the asset declaration scandal and has kept us entertained ever since.

Perhaps people do get the government they deserve.

3 Thai politicians who are not corrupt- Khun Apisit, Korn and Jurin- all Democrats.

This government has and is doing more for the poor- free 15 years education, farming subsidies, government loans rather than loan sharks, but it takes time for peceptions to change.

So you asked a random taxi driver about his political views and he supported a different politician than you...from this you were "shocked", "chilled", and then considered him "brainwashed" with "mis-impressions"....

You probably shouldn't start political conversations in the future if this is your reaction.

This seems like a wind-up anyways...who starts a post about the politician their taxi driver supported??

Ignorant ??? The only person I see ignorant here is someone saying something like that. Gee im glad you grew up in a country with money, resources and opportunity, alot of people didnt get that chance. Why are you here amongst all of these ignorant people, make you feel superior to these serfs ?

how dare this poor uneducated taxi driver form his own opinion on something, he should just be happy that the army see fit to decide who should govern the country and accept the PAD charter that these poor riff raff should not be allowed to vote. :)

You engaged him in the conversation, he gave his opinion and you think the opinion of a Thai that is actually affected by this is not as important as your over inflated opinion which matter not one jot, unbelievable. I believe you can buy yellow shirts at most markets, be sure to join up and be prepared for a beating if you ever try to leave one of their peaceful sit ins early.

[deleted - MiG16]

I've heard similar views several times up here from farming people . Hard to say wether its a minority or majority view. It is a simple view and I suppose easy to understand. under taksin they had money, now they don't. Same , Same me. :)

I Blame the Global Economic Meltdown , they Blame Abhisit. Nothing short of them striking Gold or Oil is going to change that mindset.

I've tried explaining this too. Even to a well educated Thai friend who lived in the US for 10 years, speaks perfect English. We discuss how bad trade is, how bad the global economy, how badly it's affecting Thailand, he agrees. But it always reverts to and ends with . . . 'it was better when Thaksin was here' and 'if Thaksin was back it would all be back to normal'.

It's weird.

The probable answer based on looking at similar conflicts in other countries is that it probably has to get much worse (basically hitting bottom) before the national healing can begin. Sadly, that usually means blood in the streets. I hope I am wrong.

I have edited one post, and deleted one reply to the deleted comment

please refrain from turning this into a personal attack against each other.

seriously.

you have nothing personal to gain from it, so why make it a personal attack?

cheers

The probable answer based on looking at similar conflicts in other countries is that it probably has to get much worse (basically hitting bottom) before the national healing can begin. Sadly, that usually means blood in the streets. I hope I am wrong.

I hope your wrong too, It would seem to be the way things go elsewhere. This is Thailand and I suppose it could just drag on like this for another decade or so without the Bloodshed. I don't think there's a great rift of Ideals though like maybe elsewhere. I suspect the Taxi Drivers opinion could easily be changed with some satang :)

Beleive it or not, some people still think Nixon and Thatcher were good, so it's not surprising that Thai would also think the same of their former PMs.

Not realy anything to do with Thailand....but your comment regarding Margaret Thatcher needs to be addressed.

Dont know,or care ,if you hail from the UK,but if you did,you should be aware of the union led government of that time,with the unelected union bosses holding power over the elected government.

At that time a strong leader was required to losen the powers of the unions...along came Margaret and some sense of democracy returned.

But,like so many other leaders of countries who became 'world figures' she neglected her home base and came to a sorry end.

Current Abhisit government was appointed against people's vote by the Privy Council that is composed by Thai military. So Thailand is currently ruled by the military same same as Burma.

They still haven't succeeded in making Thai people as miserable as the Burmese. But just give them time and you shall see your taxi driver was not so wrong.

And I thought that he was elected from Parliaments MP....

Our group of Motorbike taxis here have one who like Thaksin. Half who don't care about him and the rest hate Thaksin.

They are mostly if not all from Isaan.

Specially one is always complaining when he returns from a visit of his home village. He is complete shocked how uninformed they are and how "corrupt" in thinking.

That corrupt thinking: That guy gave me money=that guy is good.

I think in North and North East there are still a lot followers of Thaksin.

Keep in mind the sources people, a Taxi driver, a chilli farmer from a buri somewhere... They are not the most educated people in Thailand and are quite responsive to the over simplified, classic poor vs. rich propaganda that taxsin is all about.

Now, ask some Thais who travel, ask some that have a degree or with 2 one thousand baht notes in their pockets to rub together and you will find that they are greatful for Abihisit. My wife's friends refer to him as "Markbama" and they loath taxsin.

Our group of Motorbike taxis here have one who like Thaksin. Half who don't care about him and the rest hate Thaksin.

Specially one is always complaining when he returns from a visit of his home village. He is complete shocked how uninformed they are and how "corrupt" in thinking.

Lot more people wearing yellow shirts up here in Issan since Thaksin made the final error of working for the Cambodians.

Thats strange because all the motorcycle taxi drivers here love Thaksin, and when one returned from his home village he is completely shocked by the damage being done to his community because of the disenfranchisement since Thaksin went, and they hurt that people think they should have no right to vote is this democracy, and confused because the help they were being given has been taken away.

Also your maths could equate to just 4 riders, one who like Thaksin, half that don't care (2) and the rest hate him (another one).

As for the home villagers being uninformed, isn't that the intention of the current government, fill them full of propaganda, to be fair the vast majority of Thais are uninformed based on the censored information they are fed on a daily basis.