Alternative Choice Of Quality Deodorant

TomBrown

For some time now I've been reasonably happy with Chanel dry stick deodorant, albeit I have to go to Bangkok to get it, however I am thinking that I would like something similarly effective but doesn't cost the ฿940 I pay for the Chanel.

Anyone know of an alternative dry stick that works well without the high cost?

Try the lumin or whatever it's called, it's like a rock or something and you run water over it and then rub it into your pits. Works very well for me. No smell, good or bad, no sting and the rock lasts for months.

sorry Tom, but the same dilemma has racked my head for many a year but unfortunately the only solution is to put 2000 baht of diesal in the truck and make that journey to Bangkok..

BTW, i pay 945 baht for my tube in Robinsons, where do you get yours for 940 baht ??

cheers

Why not Robinsons in Siracha?

Gillette make a very good 'gel stick' deodorant/anti perspirant... I switched over to it when the 'Mennen' brand I had been using was no longer available.. The rexona sport and other local type deos are cheap but have very little product so are empty very quickly.. I think that the Gillette one is around 250 baht (maybe wrong but too lazy to walk upstairs to check) They are available in Boots/Foodland/Watsons etc..

Try the lumin or whatever it's called, it's like a rock or something and you run water over it and then rub it into your pits. Works very well for me. No smell, good or bad, no sting and the rock lasts for months.

we have them on sale :)

cool, can you explain what I am rubbing into my pits everyday then? I dont know what it is but it works.

Previously I've tried the Rexona, Nivea and such like deodorants found in 7/11 or Big C, and they just don't seem to stay effective for long or last long, for me anyway.

Sotsira; why use a drystick? Well I've never really been keen on the sprays, so prefer the dry stick method. Actually I hadn't considered Talcum powder, I might get a small bottle to try out, or just pinch some from my toddler to try out first.

Onnut, I'm intrigued about that 'lumin rock' thing, but couldn't find any information about it using Google. Correctly spelt name? Could you, Raro or anyone else who knows post more information and where to get them?

William, ฿940 was a guesstimate, I usually go to Siam Paragon and get the discount for foreigners, just because its convenient.

Brut 33 antiperspirant sticks and the Gillette Gel Stick deodorant/antiperspirant both sound like possible options also. I wrongly assumed that it was just local brands or Rexona or Nivea on store shelves.

Edited by TomBrown

...............about the rock thing, I've been using it for years, found it first in a natural food store in California and it was a product of Thailand. I have bought it here at one of the Chinese pharmacies at MBK in Bkk, one of my Thai family members brought a bagful of the rocks in their natural state from Pakchong, I don't know where he got them. Some of these had sharp edges, just as you might expect from a crystal rock and I had to sand them down a bit before being comfortable using them. But the product for sale in stores (and at MBK) is ground, bound together and resembles a dry stick deodorant. I paid 59 baht for one that lasted me for over a year. The name of the company is Lee Intercorp Thailand and the name of the product seems to be "Natural White Crystal De O". It is made from a natural mineral salt and does not contain the aluminium chlorohydrate commonly found in most deodorants. I perspire heavily and it has proven to be an effective deodorant. On the label there is an email address: house of [email protected].

I think Big C stock Brut 33 antiperspirant sticks.

Smells great.

not sure of the price.

That's important.........it should be antiperspirant.

There are a lot of different deo's on the market, but will only work properly if they are antiperspirant.

All the others are just smelling-water under pressure.

I'm using AXE for years now and it works quite good. Love the chocolate odor.

The "lumin" rock is ( I think ) Alum crystal...we used to have great fun as kids getting others to taste a small crystal

it makes the mouth pucker and dry. :)

I believe the Thais call it Sang Som they use it to remove sediment from the water jars, you can find it at the fresh food markets very cheaply.

Be careful though because some of the crystals can be razor sharp and if you rub Alum in the cut it stings like a bugger. :D

I found the Alum crystal to be very effective for a while then suddenly after a couple of months it had no effect at all..

Edited by johng

I think Big C stock Brut 33 antiperspirant sticks.

Smells great.

not sure of the price.

That's important.........it should be antiperspirant.

There are a lot of different deo's on the market, but will only work properly if they are antiperspirant.

All the others are just smelling-water under pressure.

I'm using AXE for years now and it works quite good. Love the chocolate odor.

Well thank you for that, Whats important is for you to wash a bit more. :D

then you wont need expensive over priced smelly sticks of goop to hide BO. :)

Have a nice day. :D

cool, can you explain what I am rubbing into my pits everyday then? I dont know what it is but it works.

as others pointed out already, it is Alum, or Aluminium Sulfate. And indeed, better go with the sticks, the natural crystals have sharp edges and are not exactly pleasant.

First off, it's ALUMINUM that blocks the sweat glands. :) But, in a hot place like Thailand, why do that? IE: the sweat has to go somewhere and getting blocked in the body doesn't sound good to me.

That said, a deodorant seems sufficient to me. I like Speed Stick but whatever works is appreciated, I think, by everyone that would otherwise have to smell us stinkers.

Edited by bankruatsteve

I think its some sort of washing 'Soda" I first bought it in a market stall in Cairns at about $4 a lump with a cord on it.

When I was in a market here in LOS I saw the same stuff available by the kilo..cheap as chips..been using ever since ..also works good as an antiseptic and sting and bite itch stopper highly effective!! Great stuff... bit sharp when you get it in lumps... I rub a file over a lump to round it off other wise will scratch your "pits"...

Oh I see from another post it's Alum..well that explains why it is so good for razor cuts etc..they also use alum as a a water clarifyer in swimming pools ( expensive too in Oz) and water supplies in LOS, I understand..marvelous...

Edited by David006

• 9 years later...