Buying A Ps3 And Games In Bangkok

Tenchu

I wanted to buy a PS3 and am going to Bangkok on 4th of March. Also wanted to buy some games of course; where is best place to buy games?

I noticed that a lot of PS3s I've seen in Thailand before are more expensive than what they're selling for in the West. Is this because they're just slower to catch up in the price drops, or what? Where in Bangkok has the cheapest prices, especially for the new slim model?

I heard the PS3 was selling for $300 US in the states. That's about 11,000 THB. I don't really want to pay more.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get the real Sony PS3 console and not some chinese copy piece of junk is going for around 16,000+ thb as of around Christmas

Better make sure it is the original PS3 if you buy one and not a chinese copy

Also there are NO copied PS3 games

You have to buy the original games at around 4500 thb each

PS3 is not a big seller here compared to XBOX

Copied XBOX games sell for 100 thb and there are 100s of games to chose from

For the prices of one PS3 game you could buy 45 XBOX games

Nio,

There are no so called chinese copies of PS3 for sale in MBK or indeed I have never seen a COPY PS3 Console anywhere!

PS3 Slim in MBK around christmas was minimum 12000-13000 MAXIMUM at 1 store. Prices don't vary much you will not find one for 11,000THB anywhere in BKK best you will do is to get it for 12,000THB expect nearer 13000 Tho.

Secondly the PS3 games are 1200-1800 baht not 4500thb. Also in MBK used games on Ps3 800-1200 baht with a really huge selection.

Thirdly, you should be supporting the game publishers not buying 100baht copies.

Fourthly, Take your copy games and Xbox onto Xbox Live - see how long it takes before your banned. No such problem with PS3 and online play is free.

Edited by namoo

Yeah.

I copy most things, but my favorite series I do like to buy to support the makers. I.e. Final Fantasy, Tekken, Resident Evil; I would never buy copies because I really want the series to stay alive (I'm actually only buying a PS3 mainly because I want to play Final Fantasy 13 which is being released on March the 8th).

Thanks for the insights. I'll try and get 11,000 but not settle for more than 12,000.

Also, what region is Thailand using? I.e. if I order games online, should I be buying American copies? Or only games sold in Thailand will work. Anyone know?

Yeah.

I copy most things, but my favorite series I do like to buy to support the makers. I.e. Final Fantasy, Tekken, Resident Evil; I would never buy copies because I really want the series to stay alive (I'm actually only buying a PS3 mainly because I want to play Final Fantasy 13 which is being released on March the 8th).

Thanks for the insights. I'll try and get 11,000 but not settle for more than 12,000.

Also, what region is Thailand using? I.e. if I order games online, should I be buying American copies? Or only games sold in Thailand will work. Anyone know?

There is no REGION coding for games on PS3 - any game from any country will work. The Console you will get will probably be HK or Japanese in MBK. DVD region coding will be a problem. However BLU-RAY is not an issue since Asia Blu-Ray shares the same coding as US.

Nio,

There are no so called chinese copies of PS3 for sale in MBK or indeed I have never seen a COPY PS3 Console anywhere!

PS3 Slim in MBK around christmas was minimum 12000-13000 MAXIMUM at 1 store. Prices don't vary much you will not find one for 11,000THB anywhere in BKK best you will do is to get it for 12,000THB expect nearer 13000 Tho.

Secondly the PS3 games are 1200-1800 baht not 4500thb. Also in MBK used games on Ps3 800-1200 baht with a really huge selection.

Thirdly, you should be supporting the game publishers not buying 100baht copies.

Fourthly, Take your copy games and Xbox onto Xbox Live - see how long it takes before your banned. No such problem with PS3 and online play is free.

You must have a real problem thinking you can tell me who I can or cannot support.

Look at dhgate.com the ebay of China and you will see all kinds of PS 3 friend.

Where exactly do you think the PS 3 is manufactured? It sure as hel_l is not in Thailand?

Familiarize yourself with dhgate and you will learn exactly how many different products are copied and sold direct from China into Thailand

Read the 1000's of member negative reviews where the number one claim is its a fake

How is it 100's of Chinese Ebay sellers have PS 3 consoles for sale?

Do you think Sony lets any Joe Blow sell the genuine consoles on the internet?

And MBK? Give me a break. If cannot see the 1000's of counterfeit items for sale there you are totally blind.

Those prices you are quoting are not for the same console you would get in the USA

Take a look at all the PS 3 sold factory direct on DHgate and you wont get that price anywhere

Now add 20% import tax on top of the price and you will clearly understand that the price you quote is impossible for a genuine PS 3

Electronics here are never, ever cheaper than the USA because of all the tax

Same as the Sony hand held PSP.

The Chinese copy looks exactly like the original except it is much lighter and cost 4,000 to 5,000 baht less

I have a genuine PSP from USA and a Chinese one from here. Big, big difference in quality

So either bring some facts, or pipe down

Nio,

You must have a real problem thinking you can tell me who I can or cannot support.

Look at dhgate.com the ebay of China and you will see all kinds of PS 3 friend.

Where exactly do you think the PS 3 is manufactured? It sure as hel_l is not in Thailand?

Familiarize yourself with dhgate and you will learn exactly how many different products are copied and sold direct from China into Thailand

Read the 1000's of member negative reviews where the number one claim is its a fake

How is it 100's of Chinese Ebay sellers have PS 3 consoles for sale?

Do you think Sony lets any Joe Blow sell the genuine consoles on the internet?

And MBK? Give me a break. If cannot see the 1000's of counterfeit items for sale there you are totally blind.

Those prices you are quoting are not for the same console you would get in the USA

Take a look at all the PS 3 sold factory direct on DHgate and you wont get that price anywhere

Now add 20% import tax on top of the price and you will clearly understand that the price you quote is impossible for a genuine PS 3

Electronics here are never, ever cheaper than the USA because of all the tax

Same as the Sony hand held PSP.

The Chinese copy looks exactly like the original except it is much lighter and cost 4,000 to 5,000 baht less

I have a genuine PSP from USA and a Chinese one from here. Big, big difference in quality

So either bring some facts, or pipe down

Sorry Nio but I concur with Namoo's genuine PS3 pricing.

Nio,

What are you on about...you have no idea what you are talking about.

OP have a look at the prices I quoted you they are correct and available at that rate in MBK and Chinatown shops. Don't let Nio's fake PS3's put you off in MBK as you won't see any of them...unbelievable.. MBK has Japanese and HK sourced machines.

Got to the 6th Floor at MBK. The shop name is Modthanoi Game opposites the Exchange counter. A very friendly Thai couple is running this shop. Since years i only get my stuff from them. They always give you a good deal.

Last time i went there they wanted to sell me a Moddet XBOX360 + 120GB HDD and 10 Games for 12.000THB.

Edited by Lammbock

That is the correct pricing even at the Sony store at MBK.

Fake china made PS3?? Gimme a break. So i guess the PS3's sold in Singapore are fake copies as well. And they go for about SGD$500 which is the price sold here at 12,000- 13,000THB

And PS3 games do not go more than 2000THB

Nio u should stop buying cheap yaabaa :)

I will keep an eye out for fakes, Nio. I have a very good eye for detail and can spot shit a mile away.

But the other quotes in prices are sounding about right, being only a little more expensive than the US, seems right. I have had my eye on games for a while (mostly PC before, but) and don't think I've seen anything above 2,000 THB.

If you really believe this but, I can only keep an eye out and thank you for your honest input.

I'll look at Modthanoi Game before I make any purchases, also.

If you are feeling adventurous there is a shop called Nadz Project at ITF Tower in Silom, I buy my PS3 games there cause they usually cheaper than MBK by about 500 THB. Also the PS3 itself is cheaper, you could get a 120 gb slim for about 11,800 THB at MBK it would probably be 1-2000 THB extra. They also have a smaller shop at the Siam Digital Gateway 5th floor, across form Paragon.

http://www.nadzproject.com/product_55303_th

If you are feeling adventurous there is a shop called Nadz Project at ITF Tower in Silom, I buy my PS3 games there cause they usually cheaper than MBK by about 500 THB. Also the PS3 itself is cheaper, you could get a 120 gb slim for about 11,800 THB at MBK it would probably be 1-2000 THB extra. They also have a smaller shop at the Siam Digital Gateway 5th floor, across form Paragon.

Nadz is a reliable dealer. Games tho are the same price as MBK these days. Going back about a year ago they used to be cheaper for games but MBK lowered their prices.

I just received a PS3 from Canada... The cord says 110V but I read that you can plug it in here.... So far I haven't risked it because I am worried I will fry it like I did my Xbox 360. Does anyone have a console from the US or Canada, and can I plug it directly into a thai plug?

And I haven't bought a game yet, but if they are 4500 baht I won't be buying any. :)

Nadz is a reliable dealer. Games tho are the same price as MBK these days. Going back about a year ago they used to be cheaper for games but MBK lowered their prices.

I actually bought Modern Warfare 2 from Nadz for 1900 THB and MBK was selling for about 2200 THB. Usually the newer games, especially the popular ones (Modern Warfare 2, FF13, Assassins Creed 2 ect.) are cheaper, but other games are about the same price.

I just received a PS3 from Canada... The cord says 110V but I read that you can plug it in here.... So far I haven't risked it because I am worried I will fry it like I did my Xbox 360. Does anyone have a console from the US or Canada, and can I plug it directly into a thai plug?

And I haven't bought a game yet, but if they are 4500 baht I won't be buying any. :)

They're not, they're at least half, or more than a quarter that, depending on the title !

So where abouts is this ITF tower? Is this near Pat Pong Road or the Burger King end or something, or is it just a bit further down where all the airline offices are? Easy to find and on the main road?

Its at the corner of Naraitiwas/Silom intersection same side as Potpong, there are 2 towers they are in the older one, tower 2 14th floor. BTW namoo Modern Warfare 2 at Nadz is 1700 thb, like I said the newer popular games are usually a little cheaper, but sometimes not that much.

What the <deleted>** is the point of region codes?

An attempt to control the market which was a huge failure in terms of what it wanted to achieve which doesn't prevent it from being a pain in the behind for the end user. Yeah they intentionally crippled the hardware in order to segment the world market into little pieces. It's just as stupid as it sounds.

At least there's no region code on the games - I didn't know that, that's great. We used to have to mod the PS1 in order to play all those cool Japanese games that were never released in Europe... And the 12k baht price looks good too, maybe I'll finally get one.. I can deal with 1200 baht games, that's fine.

The problem with modded XBOXes is that the units are prone to overheating which should set off all kinds of red flags for us living in a tropical climate, and when modded the manufacturer warranty is void. No interest in buying into this kind of trouble. The shop selling the unit can probably revive it, etc, but it's just too much hassle. Then there's XBOX live which will get you locked out every now and then. Meh. The whole point of a games console is that it just works, load game, play, no fuss no muss.

Why are there no mods / "backup" games for the PS3? Nobody cracked the protection yet? Another reason?

Edited by nikster

LOL

About Xbox overheating. My friend here in south Thailand says his Xbox has fried 3 times. He now has all these tiny fans strapped onto it to provide excessive extra cooling to avoid it again. I'd never get an Xbox. So much money and so many of them just fry. No way.

I don't care about the PS3 not having burnt games and such, because if something is worth playing, it's worth paying for. I'm not the kind of person who'll buy any game just to kill time. I only buy games I really want, and so am not into cheap copies.

As for the regional coding, it's stupid as <deleted>. I've got some DVDs from Japan I wanted to play on my computer. The computer can play any region, but you have to change the region on it and it only plays one at a time. After changing it several times, it locks and cannot be changed any more. Why the <deleted> would they do that? Luckily, I can play my Japanese DVDs on my DVD player, but I'm still pretty pissed off about it. All it does is encourage the building of illegal style software to use something that was purchased perfectly legal, which is just retarded.

Another question if anyone knows:

I've got a pretty decent widescreen LCD computer screen and it cost a lot of money. On the other hand, my wifes TV is pretty shit and I don't really have the cash to buy a new one after I buy a PS3. I'm pretty sure adaptor technology is widely used, though I've little experience in it. Can anyone tell me what is needed to make the PS3 play through a computer screen and where in Bangkok I should look for this hardware?

Thanx.