Rationale Of Producing The Blackberry

yangchen

A lot of people said the same when the mobile phone first became popular. Xerox said the personal computer would not sell also, so the sold it to the founders of Apple.

Edited by garyh

cuz all the celebrities have one now, so it's the fashionable thing to do...

I used to have a Blackberry, awesome as a business tool, but hardly what I'd call a "fancy youth" phone... Stick to something fun like the iPhone or something running Android :)

If you have to ask, there is very little chance of you understanding why it is so important and popular.

TH

It is addictive because you can have your email and other contacts at your fingertips 24/7... does not sound like much on paper like this, but once you get used to it, its hard to go back.

I am not sure if I was clear in my previous message, but there are tons of other phones now with the same kind of functionality that are a lot more fun to use than a Blackberry. Main advantage of BB is the proper keyboard, those are still way better than most on-screen keyboards...

For the company I work for, the Blackberry results in higher productivity with executives better able to deal with urgent matters as they occur after hours. It is particularly useful for MNC's when you have regular dealings with a company head office in a vastly differeent time-zone such as New York.

I can only hope my life never gets to the point where I need a phone that allows people to bother me anywhere I go at any time.

Amen, Brother!!

from one who has just bought a blackberry, albeit with the touch screen (storm). I got it cos I lost my old Motorolla V3. THen I found the V3, I don't want to waste the BB but I would really prefer to go back to my old phone. I do like access to my e mail though. :)

I can only hope my life never gets to the point where I need a phone that allows people to bother me anywhere I go at any time.

Soon it might be an implant that works anywhere and you can't turn it off, at least some geeks would dream of this. :)

I guess doing email and phone well is enough for many people.

For others, there's the iPhone.. :)

I don't get the whole celeb aspect either but it has a huge hip factor right now. Even my wife asked me about BB and she's really not into technology. Plus, she has an iPhone. I had to explain to her that an iPhone is way better than any BB but I could see doubts remained. Unless you've used both, I guess there'd be no way to know.

I think it's also a bit of an iPhone backlash in Thailand. First you couldn't get an iPhone in this country for love or money, then you could get it but only from True - people don't really like this kind of BS over here. Now there's the BB, a serious contender, and it's available everywhere and freely. No supply constraints, no standing in line at True.

For corporations it's different of course, they bought into the entire BB platform (including email servers) from the beginning, so now even though any plain old mail server and any plain old phone (well nearly) would work just as well, it would be expensive to switch. Come to think of it, I don't think many phones even have push - BlackBerry always had it, the iPhone only had it for half a year now (since 3.0), and I don't know about Nokia.

Edited by nikster

Yup some Nokias have push enabled, my boss has one. I thinks its the "E ..." something or other.

Yes, my Nokia E51 has push mail. It's just another feature that I don't use. I am able to easily check my email by just pushing a few keys. I do use the WiFi when it is available but that is normally not available in my area. When using email, I do like the feature to be able to rotate the screen.

Yup some Nokias have push enabled, my boss has one. I thinks its the "E ..." something or other.

Yeah but it's a pretty recent development. There are even ads with the Nokia E series targeting Blackberry users (push email for cheap). Better late then never, I guess :)

I am also not using push since on the iPhone at least it requires a constant connection to EDGE, and would drain my minutes in no time... well.. in real time, actually :D it's good only on unlimited plans, and even there, it's using a lot of battery so not sure it's worth it.

I think the Blackberry push implementation does something on the network so the phone doesn't need to be constantly on EDGE, saving battery life. Drawback is that it's a whole proprietary system, and you need explicit BB support from the operator.