Is Strange Weather In Thailand Due To Warming?

webfact

It is clear that the people who refuse to accept global warming and climate change as facts are totally ignorant of science. Maybe they should take time to learn something before posting here.

The scientific method includes developing a hypothesis which is tested through measurements, empirical experimentation and a vigorous debate.

The AGW 'scientific' method includes starting out with a theory, manipulating data to fit that theory and then a complete intolerance of any criticism. 'Science by gossip' and 'tricks to hide the decline' are not real science.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is clear that the people who refuse to accept global warming and climate change as facts are totally ignorant of science. Maybe they should take time to learn something before posting here.

You mean do things like reading respected newspapers such as the Times of London to expand their horizons?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle6991177.ece

I don't care what the theories proclaim, I would however that like that the theories stand up to scientific rigour, peer review and public scrutiny. Is that too much to ask?

I would however that like that the theories stand up to scientific rigour, peer review and public scrutiny. Is that too much to ask?

For a true Global Warming believer, yes, that is asking too much.

Here's a simple way to find out if someone is a True Believer in the Church of Globalwarmology.

Questioner: "Do you believe it is right to exaggerate the scare stories about potential global warming catastrophes in order to get people behind our viewpoint?"

True Believer: "Yes, it is right, because this is too important to the future of the planet to allow other viewpoints to prosper or even survive."

[Note: This is exactly how Sir John Houghton, first chairman of IPCC, put it: "Unless we announce disasters no one will listen."]

You'll notice the fallacies here.

1. The blind arrogance that their viewpoint is in fact right.

2. Their totalitarian assertion that other viewpoints must be excluded ("The debate is over' etc)

Allowing only one version of the truth and attacking people who dare to oppose that orthodoxy has been carried out twice at least over the past 100 years and on each occasion has led to tens of millions of people dying in misery.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn, the courageous Russian dissident writer exiled by communist tyrants for standing up to their cowardly atrocities, once wrote:

"The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie. One word of truth outweighs the world."

Rick you keep making sense, don't you know that you are a flat earther and a denier.

The question in my head is what will occur when the shoe finally drops and the majority population finally realize they have been duped. As I feel we are nearing that tipping point, to borrow a trendy AGW term.

What has occurred with the AGW scam is a major abuse of the trust people should rightly have in scientific research, and governments and various other major institutions worldwide have been shamelessly climbing on the bandwagon for their own greedy self interest. And of course the environmental movement will suffer huge setbacks as it will be hard to separate good policies from those used to manipulate.

There are so many people to be angry at, I can't imagine how it will work itself out. Who can be trusted anymore? Not the media certainly.

They coined the phrase 'new normal' after 9/11. What will be the new normal when AGW is renamed 'Global Leadership Failure'. or the Attempted World Coup.

^^

Well, it looks as if people like me may get put out of business, if the Obama administration gets its way.

Cass Sunstein, the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, has just released an updated version of his 2008 paper "Conspiracy Theories".

He contends that conspiracy theorists are a threat to government and wants Obama to clamp down on them.

He suggests 5 steps that government can take against theorists, two of which are:

* to ban conspiracy theorizing;

* to impose some kind of tax on those who disseminate such theories.

One of the things that Sunstein regards as a conspiracy theory is "that the theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud."

I'm a little surprised that this new entry into the catalogue of thoughtcrime has been made in the U.S. rather than the U.K., but there you are. I guess I'd better change my tune so as to avoid being extraordinarily rendered or chased by the IRS for conspiracy taxes.... :)

Edited by RickBradford

^^

Well, it looks as if people like me may get put out of business, if the Obama administration gets its way.

Cass Sunstein, the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, has just released an updated version of his 2008 paper "Conspiracy Theories".

He contends that conspiracy theorists are a threat to government and wants Obama to clamp down on them.

He suggests 5 steps that government can take against theorists, two of which are:

One of the things that Sunstein regards as a conspiracy theory is "that the theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud."

I'm a little surprised that this new entry into the catalogue of thoughtcrime has been made in the U.S. rather than the U.K., but there you are. I guess I'd better change my tune so as to avoid being extraordinarily rendered or chased by the IRS for conspiracy taxes.... :)

Obama's thought police. I wonder if goose stepping will become popular as well

Man made Co2 is having no effect on Global Warming. Nada, zero, zilch! Billions of dollars have been made by rogue scientists who have perpetuated a blatant lie. The chairman of the IPPC, Patchari - the train engineer (you couldn't make it up), is going to find himself in deep poo soon. It appears the Indian government for a start are going to charge him with fraud and conflict of interests (ie he has made millions from his claims of AGW).

It is the biggest scam since JC, probably the biggest ever, and has been engineered with a ruthless beauty and grace.

This is a must read for probably most on this thread, it won't take long.

35 Inconvenient Truths - The errors in Al Gores Movie

CO2 is not a pollutant! It is food for all plant life in return they give us oxygen.

for those that consider us to be inefficient in terms of energy -

Here is an eye opening article from a guy in Austrailia

Coal Driven Power Stations and Carbon Dioxide

This article appeared in the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin (Queensland, Australia) on 22.12.09

To the Editor:

I thought I should clarify. I am now retired and in excellent health at age 69. I spent 25 years in the Electricity Commission of NSW working, commissioning and operating the various power units. My last was the 4 X 350 MW Munmorah Power Station near Newcastle. I would be pleased to supply you with any information you may require.

Terence Cardwell

The Editor

The Morning Bulletin

I have sat by for a number of years frustrated at the rubbish being put forth about carbon dioxide emissions, thermal coal fired power stations and renewable energy and the ridiculous Emissions Trading Scheme.

Frustration at the lies told (particularly during the election) about global pollution. Using Power Station cooling towers for an example.

The condensation coming from those cooling towers is as pure as that that comes out of any kettle.

Frustration about the so called incorrectly named man made 'carbon emissions' which of course is Carbon Dioxide emissions and what it is supposedly doing to our planet.

Frustration about the lies told about renewable energy and the deliberate distortion of renewable energy and its ability to replace fossil fuel energy generation. And frustration at the ridiculous carbon credit programme which is beyond comprehension.

And further frustration at some members of the public who haven't got a clue about thermal Power Stations or Renewable Energy. Quoting ridiculous figures about something they clearly have little or no knowledge of.

First coal fired power stations do NOT send 60 to 70% of the energy up the chimney. The boilers of modern power station are 96% efficient and the exhaust heat is captured by the economisers and reheaters and heat the air and water before entering the boilers.

The very slight amount exiting the stack is moist as in condensation and CO2. There is virtually no fly ash because this is removed by the precipitators or bagging plant that are 99.98% efficient. The 4% lost is heat through boiler wall convection.

Coal fired Power Stations are highly efficient with very little heat loss and can generate massive amount of energy for our needs. They can generate power at efficiency of less than 10,000 b.t.u. per kilowatt and cost wise that is very low.

The percentage cost of mining and freight is very low. The total cost of fuel is 8% of total generation cost and does NOT constitute a major production cost. As for being laughed out of the country, China is building multitudes of coal fired power stations because they are the most efficient for bulk power generation.

We have, like, the USA, coal fired power stations because we HAVE the raw materials and are VERY fortunate to have them. Believe me no one is laughing at Australia - exactly the reverse, they are very envious of our raw materials and independence.

The major percentage of power in Europe and U.K. is nuclear because they don't have the coal supply for the future.

Yes it would be very nice to have clean, quiet, cheap energy in bulk supply. Everyone agrees that it would be ideal. You don't have to be a genius to work that out. But there is only one problem---It doesn't exist.

Yes - there are wind and solar generators being built all over the world but they only add a small amount to the overall power demand. The maximum size wind generator is 3 Megawatts, which can rarely be attained on a continuous basis because it requires substantial forces of wind. And for the same reason only generate when there is sufficient wind to drive them. This of course depends where they are located but usually they only run for 45% -65% of the time, mostly well below maximum capacity. They cannot be relied for a 'base load' because they are too variable. And they certainly could not be used for load control.

The peak load demand for electricity in Australia is approximately 50,000 Megawatts and only small part of this comes from the Snowy Hydro Electric System (The ultimate power Generation) because it is only available when water is there from snow melt or rain. And yes they can pump it back but it cost to do that. (Long Story)

Tasmania is very fortunate in that they have mostly hydro electric generation because of their high amounts of snow and rainfall. They also have wind generators (located in the roaring forties) but that is only a small amount of total power generated. Based on a average generating output of 1.5 megawatts (of unreliable power) you would require over 33,300 wind generators.

As for solar power generation much research has been done over the decades and there are two types. Solar thermal generation and Solar Electric generation but in each case they cannot generate large amounts of electricity. Any clean, cheap energy is obviously welcomed but they would NEVER have the capability of replacing Thermal power generation. So get your heads out of the clouds, do some basic mathematics and look at the facts not going off with the fairies (or some would say the extreme greenies.)

We are all greenies in one form or another and care very much about our planet. The difference is most of us are realistic. Not in some idyllic utopia where everything can be made perfect by standing around holding a banner and being a general pain in the backside.

Here are some facts that will show how ridiculous this financial madness the government is following. Do the simple maths and see for yourselves.

According to the 'believers' the CO2 in air has risen from .034% to .038% in air over the last 50 years. To put the percentage of Carbon Dioxide in air in a clearer perspective;

If you had a room 12 ft x 12 ft x 7 ft or 3.7 mtrs x 3.7 mtrs x 2.1 mtrs, the area carbon dioxide would occupy in that room would be .25m x .25m x .17m or the size of a large packet of cereal. Australia emits 1 percent of the world's total carbon Dioxide and the government wants to reduce this by twenty percent or reduce emissions by .2 percent of the world's total CO2 emissions.

What effect will this have on existing CO2 levels?

By their own figures they state the CO2 in air has risen from .034% to .038% in 50 years. Assuming this is correct, the world CO2 has increased in 50 years by .004 percent.

Per year that is .004 divided by 50 = .00008 percent. (Getting confusing -but stay with me).

Of that because we only contribute 1% our emissions would cause CO2 to rise .00008 divided by 100 = .0000008 percent. Of that 1%, we supposedly emit, the government wants to reduce it by 20% which is 1/5th of .0000008 = .00000016 percent effect per year they would have on the world CO2 emissions based on their own figures. That would equate to a area in the same room, as the size of a small pin.!!!

For that they have gone crazy with the ridiculous trading schemes, Solar and roofing installations, Clean coal technology. Renewable energy, etc, etc. How ridiculous it that.

The cost to the general public and industry will be enormous.

Cripple and even closing some smaller business.

T.L. Cardwell

It never ceases to amaze me that if the globe is in fact heating up why scientists do not start looking at that very large yellow hot thing in the sky.

Jinthing

It may sadden you to hear that when you quote CO2 being at 380ppm or thereabouts, the readings were supplied by a scientist who was based in Hawai, - next to an active volcano, but Al, and the IPPC thought it would fit in just fine, so much so that they still use his measurements. Now living next to an active volcano wouldn't skew your results would it?

Globalis Warmanitis

Globalis Warmanitis is a serious disease infecting hundreds of millions. The symptoms start slowly, even one or two of the early warning signs are cause for concern. If you have a family member or friend experiencing these symptoms, act quickly and get professional medical attention. They could be the result of early onset Globalis Warmanitis. Symptoms should be treated as an emergency, as the progress of the disease is rapidly approaching a tipping point. Serious end stage physical symptoms have been reported, including; dizzyness, blurred vision, urge to paint protest signs, hysteria, hot flashes, confusion, dementia, spontaneous nudity (leading to frostbite) and eventually psychosis.

If you have any of these early warning symptoms, please contact The Air Vent immediately for guidance. All inquiries are kept 100 % public, guidance will be handled in a tough love manner by Dr. Id – B.S….M.D.

End stage symptoms include:

1. Belief in the unbiased truth of government funded science.

2. Belief that snow is a significant sign of global warming

3. Belief that drops in global temperature are falsified by the guys drawing the squiggly lines.

4. The absolute knowledge that every credible scientist believes in CO2 global warming

5. A deep warm feeling that the UN IPCC has our best interests at heart

6. Knowledge of the complex science which shows that the sun does NOT heat the earth.

7. Belief that big energy wants global warming to go away, because sales of expensive renewable energy are not in their best interest.

8. Understanding the reasons why Al Gore deserved his Nobel Prize.

9. Belief that legislation of the right kind can regulate global temperature.

10. The belief that the earth has remained at the same temperature, unchanged for thousands of years.

If you, your family or friends are experiencing any of these symptoms, take heart because Dr. Id – B.S.M.D is here to help. Together we can stop this pandemic before it’s too late.

Did you know that there is currently 40% more ice in the Antarctic than there was in 1980. Did you know that the Arctic ice cap has only reduced by 7% since 1980.

Edited by Tigs

It would really help if posters learned something about climate change and global warming prior to posting.

Is the strange weather in Thailand due to warming?

Certainly climate change and global warming are real and impacting the planet now.

All I know is that every old person I have talked to in Thailand says the same thing:

"It is much warmer now than in the past."

It would really help if posters learned something about climate change and global warming prior to posting.

I agree.

All I know is that every old person I have talked to in Thailand says the same thing: "It is much warmer now than in the past."

You contradict yourself utterly. :)

That's your best science? Let's dismantle the world economy because every old person you have talked to in Thailand says it's warmer?

The really big lie about man-made global warming is that almost all scientists accept it. More than 4,000 scientists from 106 countries, including 72 Nobel Prize winners, signed the Heidelberg Appeal (1992), calling for a rational scientific approach to environmental problems.

Many senior scientists have also supported The Statement by Atmospheric Scientists on Greenhouse Warming (1992), The Leipzig Declaration (1997) and finally the Oregon Petition (1998) opposing the Kyoto Protocol, which has received the signatures of over 31,000 scientists.

Edited by RickBradford

Certainly climate change and global warming are real and impacting the planet now.

All I know is that every old person I have talked to in Thailand says the same thing:

Glad to see that deference to the pooyai is strong and well.

I have never heard anything so nonsensical as believing that someone old in Thailand has anything worthwhile to bring to a scientific discussion simply because they are "old".

I have never heard anything so nonsensical as believing that someone old in Thailand has anything worthwhile to bring to a scientific discussion simply because they are "old".

It obviously is not easy for you to understand. It is called "perspective."

Getting their views is a proxy measure of what has been happening. Unless, of course, you think they are all crazy.

What they are saying carries weight because it fits with what scientists already know about global warming and climate change.

But to understand what I just said requires a fundamental understanding of scientific methodology.

It also requires an appreciation of history.

There are books out there on scientific methodology, global warming, and climate change.

I hope you can find at least one.

It may well be warmer than in the past. So what?

It doesn't mean humans are causing the warming. Northern Europe was once covered in ice, where there was desert there is now a lush rain forest etc etc etc - the climate has been changing since the dawn of time, it is changing now and will continue to change for millions of years in the future without any help from humans.

Or do you expect the climate to stay the same for eternity?

It obviously is not easy for you to understand. It is called "perspective."

Getting their views is a proxy measure of what has been happening. Unless, of course, you think they are all crazy.

What they are saying carries weight because it fits with what scientists already know about global warming and climate change.

But to understand what I just said requires a fundamental understanding of scientific methodology.

It also requires an appreciation of history.

There are books out there on scientific methodology, global warming, and climate change.

I hope you can find at least one.

Getting a proxy measurement from old people to tell me if the weather was warmer or colder in the last 60 years. Crumbs. Is this where science has got us?

The last major snowfall in the UK that I remember was when I was about 10. Just last week, there were record cold temperatures and people were burning books for heat. But then apparently in 1935 it was even colder. What should I conclude from this.

Measuring climate from opinions of old people, is about as relevant as asking, didn't life so much simpler 30 years ago? 60 years of man made memory doesn't represent even 10 gazzilionth of the history of the climate on the planet. I mean living in a concrete house instead of under a tree or in a straw hut probably makes it feel hotter. But then that is supposedly progress.

There are books out there on scientific methodology, global warming, and climate change

... and more come out each week, eager to jump on the bandwagon.

One book that has stood the test of time (published five years ago), is Shattered Consensus: The True State of Global Warming by Patrick Michaels (you may remember his name as being the fellow that Climategate conspirator Ben Santer threatened to punch).

OK...What if...all the money ever spent on wars was spent on getting energy from "deep within" the earth? Do you know you can boil water in a paper cup over an open flame? The water cools the paper to 100 degrees C until the water is gone. Then the cup burns up. Circulating liquid sodium in 4 meter diameter cores with co-axial Inconel alloy pipes to deliver the cooler sodium down the outside layer and retrieve it up the inner pipe. Heat exchangers and turbines up top. The Inconel doesn't melt as long as the liquid sodium is circulating. You would have to actually drill with the circulating sodium or your drill would melt. As deep as it takes. 10x deeper than the deepest well ever drilled? No idea. Expensive R&D? What is the worth of a living planet as opposed to the worth of the planet Mercury? I'm not talking dollars, I'm talking... "If there is such a thing as sin, wouldn't the greatest sin in all existence be to extinguish all known life in the discernible universe?" (Hello, Planet Earth.) I'm not trying to sell you my design, it's off the top of my head. I'm trying to sell you the idea of the comparative worth of "money" against the worth of "all known life." That sales pitch comes from the bottom of my heart.

You really should study methodology in science. It is very common to use both qualitative and quantitative data to arrive at a conclusion.

The quantitative data is massive and clear: global warming and climate change are real.

The qualitative data reinforces what the quantitative data is telling us: global warming and climate change are real.

If you talk to hundreds of thousands of elderly people worldwide.......do a random sample.....and they all say the same thing, that is an important finding.

Unless of course, you believe they are also involved in a conspiracy. :):D

Another thing to point out is climate change is complex and global.

It is virtually impossible to predict with accuracy what will happen tomorrow at a specific location (e.g., Thailand).

Scientists look at long term trends and can only warn about general patterns of change on the planet.

Tejas

You are talking from that place where the sun does not shine. Your statement is both unbelievable and ridiculous. I think you need to read about science before you start directing others to do so. Yes there are books out there on all sorts of subjects, you can buy them concerning the invasion of Alien Lizards on our planet or that Man is already living on the dark side of the moon. When you buy your books, make sure that the tin foil helmet and Peanut Butter are included in the price. By the way, talking about that place where the sun doesn't shine, you might like to ponder that if the planet is actually experiencing a warming trend, it is cyclic and may have something to do with the large hot yellow thing in the sky, rather than following a huge financial scam that is trying to convince us that a trace compound is responsible. I despair sometimes.

A complete 150-page analysis of the Climategate letters has just been published, and I think it has something for everyone.

Skeptics will find confirmation of their worst fears; neutrals will get a fascinating insight into the machinations of a small and committed community; those who believe that science should be impartial, honest and fair will be distressed; and Warmists won't read it.

And educators will it find essential material in trying to de-program those in the Church of Climatology, in the coming days, weeks, even years.

You really should study methodology in science. It is very common to use both qualitative and quantitative data to arrive at a conclusion.

The quantitative data is massive and clear: global warming and climate change are real.

The qualitative data reinforces what the quantitative data is telling us: global warming and climate change are real.

If you talk to hundreds of thousands of elderly people worldwide.......do a random sample.....and they all say the same thing, that is an important finding.

Unless of course, you believe they are also involved in a conspiracy. :):D

Another thing to point out is climate change is complex and global.

It is virtually impossible to predict with accuracy what will happen tomorrow at a specific location (e.g., Thailand).

Scientists look at long term trends and can only warn about general patterns of change on the planet.

The problem is that the statistics are not bearing out the hypothesis. As I have said, I don't mind that AGW is true or not, I do get very concerned when the hypothesis isn't able to answer even the most basic of questions posed to it.

I will ask my grandma tomorrow and get her to ask all her friends about the weather in the UK. I would reckon after last weeks cold snap, they are all sceptics now. Peoples opinions about feelings over a 60 year period do not make a scientific study.

Questioner : Do you feel that Bangkok is hotter than when you were a child?

Old Person : Yes

Old Person : But I forgot to mention that the entire neighbourhood was padi fields, with an uninterrupted view between my house and Don Muang 20 km away. Oh those were the days. Now all I see is concrete and where my house stood is a sky scraper.

You can survey old people qualitatively if you want. I wouldn't trumpet the findings too much or subject them to to much scrutiny though. I for one will stick to the stats instead of relying on grandad's opinion. I mean, a 60 year old has barely been on the earth longer then me.

And there is more bad news for the warmists, this time via NASA

Stunning! NASA admits no evidence of AGW in the US, there won;t be for decades!

Well the religion of Climatology is nearing its end, but hey warmists, don't panic, there is always the Church of Scientology or the Moonies, they will have you. You might even meet Al Gore in hiding from prosecution.

^^

Doesn't he also advocate the right of animals to sue humans? As usual in the BHO administration another radical kook passing policy.

'Inderpendant' 'open' enquiries would be my first answer

Well, the UK Parliament has now announced it will host its own Parliamentary Inquiry into the Climategate scandal. Part of its brief is to see whether the earlier Independent Review announced by the university in question has wide enough scope.

The Science and Technology Committee [of the UK Parliament] has agreed to examine and invite written submissions on three questions:

— What are the implications of the disclosures for the integrity of scientific research?

— Are the terms of reference and scope of the Independent Review announced on 3 December 2009 by UEA adequate (see below)?

— How independent are the other two international data sets?

The Committee intends to hold an oral evidence session in March 2010.

At least they're asking the right questions -- it'll be interesting to see what answers they come up with.

Let's hope that the widest exposure of all the environmental bludgeoning, laundered literature and computerized skullduggery will scare politicians enough to get them to abandon their blind adherence to the nonsensical Warmist creed.

Just asked my nan and she says she always feels cold now.

Shame I didn't ask her before Copenhagen, we could have saved some taxes

Shamus

Shocking, I asked my Grandma last night as well and she said it is 'so cold these days', both her neighbours say the SAME THING!!! Is this conclusive evidence we are experiencing Global Cooling? We should be told.